My guess is back-up QB comes off the waiver wire

The boat we're in coming off of the injuries to JP (seemingly at least half the season if not IR'ed) and Brown (sounds like the whole season and he will be IR'ed from the rumors I hear) is an odd one.

Point 1: If we lost any gack-up in the real life of the last two years who cares as our starter at QB would have gotten the nod anyway. If future real life were like past real life (which it is never guranteed to be) these injuries would have been meaningless to out production.

Point 2: The 03 production by Bledsoe sucked though the 02 production earned him a Pro Bowl berth. Its not unreasonable to bet he will also suck in 2004 all things being equal. However, all things are not equal as it is our plan to rely on him a lot less by running more and make him more effectiove by training him and working with him as was successfully done in the past to throw the damn ball.

Where I think this leaves us is that the Bills braintrust is making a bet that they can revice Bledsoe's production. In addition, i think t hey will also hope he avoids injury as he has the past two years.

I don't think they seriously expected Losman to be able to produce in 2004 without a lot of training from Wyche anyway. I think betting that Brown would be a capable back-up if necessary was a dicey bet to make anyway. I think the Bills also have felt this way hence the vigorous interest in Volek way back when and flirtation with Kordell. However, hey probably correctly had a lack if faith in Kordell that he was a good enough player to command a good salary and it appears they had similar doubts about Volek.

I think the bottomline is that our #2 is not someone who was available this off-season and we will have to get one now but he likely will be a player cut by some team who has given up on him.

This also is risky, but I feel OK about it as this player will almost certainly be cheap (for example if Brees gets cut it will be a buyers market as cap room will be limited for most teams and SD will have already paid him habsomely). i also don't feel bad because this reject can not be expected to be starter quality for the Bills, but we are looking for a back-up who with luck will never play and even with moderate bad luck will play the 3 starts max Frank Reich role.

So all in all, it sucks big time that our #2 QB got hurt, but given that I was never a Travis Brown believer, i don't mind the concet of us getting a better #2 off the waiver wire.

Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I have never had any faith in Travis to come off the bench and lead this team to victory. If Drew went down this year and we were forced to go with Travis for anything more than a game, we were just plain screwed. Yes, he was playing better this year than in years past (perhaps), but this isn't a guy I was ready to place a lot of faith in.

This injury, to me, is almost a blessing. It will force us to bring someone else in, probably someone with a little experience. He won't have much time to learn the system, but I really think anybody other than Travis will do as our #2.

I volunteer to make the ultimate sacrifice for the team. I'll sign for the league minum $230,000 a year, and walk around with a clipboard. If need be I'll come in for 2 plays to hand off to a RB. Don't worry about my arm strength. I can throw just as far as any other QB with 2.5 seconds of pocket time. By signing me, you won't have to waste $760,000 on a veteran QB that will never play a down.

The problem with the waiver wire idea is that we need this guy, whoever he is, yesterday. The best of the waiver wire guys will not likely be cut until the last cut, unless it is a pity move by an organization to let a player find another team. Looking at the rosters, I am not sure there are that many guys that fit this description about to be released this week. We need someone that can pick up the offense quick, and likely play Thursday. We are not going to find that guy tomorrow.

We could just bag the last game, let Zolman play the whole thing to see if he is even worth the #3. Bringing in a Redman, or Shane Matthews, even if it is just for 1-2 weeks may be the way to go, and then get the best we can on the last cut. It's a tough choice. Luckily, Drew is durable.

How is the health of AVP/the pill doing lately? :doh:

11273[/snapback]

AVP was quoted in another post last week saying he would not medical clearance to play until after the first of the year. Not an option.

The problem with the waiver wire idea is that we need this guy, whoever he is, yesterday. The best of the waiver wire guys will not likely be cut until the last cut, unless it is a pity move by an organization to let a player find another team. Looking at the rosters, I am not sure there are that many guys that fit this description about to be released this week. We need someone that can pick up the offense quick, and likely play Thursday. We are not going to find that guy tomorrow.

11291[/snapback]

That much is true, we needed this guy a couple of weeks ago. But it is what it is. The next round of cuts is Tuesday, so I expect we'll wait until then before doing anything. Although the pickings are slim, I do think there is someone out there that will help this team through a couple of games if Drew has to come out.

It is not necessarily true that the most viable options are always the last cuts. Sometimes if a team knows that a player is not in its plans they will release him early to give him a chance to catch on with someone else, even if he is a guy that has some ability.

It is not necessarily true that the most viable options are always the last cuts.  Sometimes if a team knows that a player is not in its plans they will release him early to give him a chance to catch on with someone else, even if he is a guy that has some ability.

11365[/snapback]

This is true, ie. Clarence Coleman. He's a better WR than Haddad, Myers, Smith, Beard, etc. but was released early...

Bills better have a QB in here tommorrow so he can play on Thursday. Bledsoe wasn't going to play more than a series anyways. They need someone to backup Zolman Thursday at least.

11388[/snapback]

I think there is a chance the Bills do exactly that, then turn around and Cut that QB the day after the Lions Game. Then I expect the Bills to Pick a QB up who is cut, or through a minor Trade...