Anyone Had Lasik...

Alaska Darin

I haven't done it yet but i plan on it. However, make sure you do your homework and pick the right doctor. YOu can find anything on the web nowadays so make sure your doctor has a clean record. I hear there is a very good one in Buffalo however. I am not sure what his name is.

a Couple of tips

1) don't go cheap it is your eyes.

2) stay away from the chains. There are alot of chain Lasik centers but they are all about quanity not quality. These chains will have the lowest prices.

I live in LA and i found a really good doctor. This guy charges $5000 for both eyes but he offers wavefront. He is also the Lasik surgeon for ABC's extreme makeover. He has done numerous celebrites here in Los Angeles.

Bottom line is that you are talking about your eyesight. Don't rush into it. Do some research and make sure you meet the doctor.

Yes, LASIK several years ago. I have 'issues', primarily that glowing/halos that you read about. Overall, I'm very happy I had it done, but consider it a gamble.

You might be among the majority that have negligible negative repercussions and lose essentially nothing (except the need for glasses), then again, you might be in among the small percentage that have significant problems. I, along w/ a significant percentage, fall somewhere in between, where what you gain relative to what you lose is a trade-off.

From my perspective, if you currently wear contacts (I can't as I'm too sensitive/squimish around my eyes) and have no problem doing so I can't imagine it worth the gamble. Likewise, if you already have 'good' i.e. like 20/40 or 20/50 uncorrected vision that corrects to 20/20 I'd reccommend against it.

I'm assuming you're asking 'cuz you're contemplating having it yourself. Try & research so that you make an informed decision. (Seems like you're doing this.)

Anyone who has eyes that can be reasonably corrected w/ traditional lenses is a DAMN FOOL to get one of these procedures done.

The bottom line is that if something does go wrong - and it happens frequently - your life will be ruined. You will have electively !@#$ed over your windows to the world. Your vision could be forever ruined - there are NO FIXES YET FOR THEIR MISTAKES. You could live the rest of your life IN CONSTANT PAIN.

Now, for some people - their vision is SOOO bad that those risks may be worth it. For the vanity crowd that just doesn't want to be hassled with glasses or contact lenses - then remember that it was your choice to ruin your life if your surgery goes wrong.

Had it done in 2002, very successful. I agree, don't do it on the cheap. Your eyes are nothing to fool around with. Had mine done in Virginia - cost, I believe @ $1,300 per eye and it's all about your cornea thickness and their ability to "shape" it. Of course it's an outpatient procedure but it does have a slight discomfort factor. I'm sure the price has come down considerably.

My wife had Lasik done 5-6 yrs ago in St Louis by a Dr Pepose, who I think was a pioneer in Lasik surgery.

It had to be re-done a few months later (included in original cost).

Her vision had been such that she cold hardly find her glasses when she got out of bed. Now, her vision is very good. Still needs glasses on occasion, but it's near 20-20.

Shop carefully (as other posters have said), but it is one of those medical miracles which you can have done.

Be aware of mono-vision - where one eye is adjusted for near, the other one for far. I don't know about all the options.

But, it was money well spent when you can purchase a "miracle" for a loved one.

The bottom line is that if something does go wrong - and it happens frequently - your life will be ruined. 

155729[/snapback]

Whoa! What are you, an optician! :P

I had the procedure over a year ago and I'm very happy with the results, especially when I swim, play sports, work out, sweat, whenever it's raining, when I'm driving at night........

Funny, you'd think that with all of those "frequent" mistakes, the trial attorney's would be lined up ten deep outside every Lasik provider's office. Kind of like what happened to Steve Martin's character after he invented the "Opti-Grab" in The Jerk!

or anything similiar?

155710[/snapback]

Had it done 5 and a half yrs ago. Good results. My vision SUCKED before...now its about 20/25.The problems are glare and ligghts at nite...and it is not perfect.But compared to before it is so much better that I cannot complain.

With any medical procedure there are horror stories. Thousands of people have had it done.

I would say 90 percent of the horror stories i read the person that had the procedure done was at fault. After you have the procedure done there are some procautions that need to be done. If you don' t follow those then you could hurt yourself.

or anything similiar?

155710[/snapback]

Had Lasik done four years ago this past Halloween. Had it in the morning and was out trick or trearin with the kids that night, Saw halos for around 3 days, sence then could not be happier. I had done in DC by the Whitten Group, who did tigers Lasik. I did not have his same doctor, but the group is made up of exceptional surgeons. I am not sure, but I have heard that the procedure has advanced quite a bit in the last four years, no longer even need to make the incision to peel back the cornea. My advise, have it done, best money I ever spent. The comment about 5 to 10 years out just makes no sence to me. If you repaired a broken bone, or had open heart surgery, would you be wooried about the effects in 10 years. Thats all that is taking place here. Nothing injected into your body or anything

Lasik surgery is a permanent fix for someone who is nearsighted. As long as your eyes have been stable the last few years meaning your poor version can't get any worse.

However,

Farsightedness can still happen to you. AS you age you might require reading classes. Farsightedness cannot be fixed as of yet.

The best recommendation I can give you is to learn as much as you can and make your choice. The internet has message and advice boards specifically about this. Most surgery centers have open houses on this too. If you go to the "BEST" surgeon, I don't think there is virtually any risk. Don't get CHEAP!!! PM me, and I can give you the name of who I believe to be the best in the Buffalo area, the only I would trust and send someone to. Don't let the idea of the surgery itself scare you. It is very quick and no feeling at all. Maybe 1-2 minutes per eye. If there is a common side effect, it is the halo everyone here mentions. It does subside with time, but won't go away. The amount of halo depends on the amount of correction.

I had the surgery 2 years ago, the best thing I ever did. My situation was unique though. People here talk about being blind, 20/100 vision, 3-4 diopters, etc.......... I had them beat. I was 14.5 diopters, essentially 10/1000. That's not a mis-print. After sugery I ended at 2.0 where I've been since. I did know going in I would not get to 20/20 because of the amount of correction though. I only need glasses for distance now, and they are a sliver, the lenses that is

Geez, this is a topic I could go on forever about

I had it done just about a year ago now, and I now have 20/15 vision. I had no problems, it was so quick and easy, would do it again in a heartbeat. Definitely look into it and get the best available. Don't go cheap on your eyes, but it is definitely great not having to wear glasses or contacts anymore.

I had it done about 2 years ago -- by far the best decision I've ever made. However, I got it done only after my eyes started rejecting contacts (watery, irritated eyes) and I couldn't bear the thought of switching back to glasses. This is a SURGERY and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Of course, do your research and pick a good surgeon. Don't listen to these people when they say that a lot of the operations go badly. A vast majority of them go extremely well, but that doesn't mean there aren't risks.