30 Years Ago Tonight - 12/8/80 - Bills related

bbb

Of course, everybody will be hearing all day about John Lennon, but what a memorable weekend it was.........First on Thursday, I saw Springsteen for the first of many many times. Life altering, for sure......Sunday, the Bills beat the Rams, the NFC Champs, in OT, and it was the greatest postgame celebration ever, with Freddy and the boys coming back on the field, dancing with the Jills to Talking Proud, and general mayhem. (It was the craziest thing - the Bills win in OT and we just didn't leave the stands. Nobody wanted to go home, Talking Proud just kept playing, and the Bills finally just came back out, in all states of dress and undress).

Then, the next night, for the first time ever, I'm forced to root for the Dolphins. We were battling the Pats for the division (and not the Dolphins). I was a freshman in college, studying in the library and getting updates. I heard the Dolphins scored, so I went back to the dorm. I go to the only room with a TV, and my friends all say "You hear what happened?" I'm like "Yeah, the Dolphins scored!"........No, John Lennon got killed.

I'm not even sure who won the game (of course, my favorite all time team - the 80 Bills - won the division eventually)........I just know that on those rare occasions since when I've been forced to root for the Dolphins, I always say "Last time I did this, they killed John Lennon!"

PS Where'd those 30 years go?!?

Of course, everybody will be hearing all day about John Lennon, but what a memorable weekend it was.........First on Thursday, I saw Springsteen for the first of many many times. Life altering, for sure......Sunday, the Bills beat the Rams, the NFC Champs, in OT, and it was the greatest postgame celebration ever, with Freddy and the boys coming back on the field, dancing with the Jills to Talking Proud, and general mayhem. (It was the craziest thing - the Bills win in OT and we just didn't leave the stands. Nobody wanted to go home, Talking Proud just kept playing, and the Bills finally just came back out, in all states of dress and undress).

Then, the next night, for the first time ever, I'm forced to root for the Dolphins. We were battling the Pats for the division (and not the Dolphins). I was a freshman in college, studying in the library and getting updates. I heard the Dolphins scored, so I went back to the dorm. I go to the only room with a TV, and my friends all say "You hear what happened?" I'm like "Yeah, the Dolphins scored!"........No, John Lennon got killed.

I'm not even sure who won the game (of course, my favorite all time team - the 80 Bills - won the division eventually)........I just know that on those rare occasions since when I've been forced to root for the Dolphins, I always say "Last time I did this, they killed John Lennon!"

He's been gone now 3/4's of the time he was alive

Surely remember that game vs. Rams, but it had faded that it was the day before this.

Wow, I had forgotten that the "dancing on the field: OT game against the Rams was the day before Howard Cosell told the world that Lennon had been shot, too. I was a junior in high school and went with my Dad to a vigil at UB. Beatles music was playing and people were just crying and shaking - very surreal.

Thanks for sharing and here's hoping that the concept of world peace never goes out of style.

Sunday, the Bills beat the Rams, the NFC Champs, in OT, and it was the greatest postgame celebration ever, with Freddy and the boys coming back on the field, dancing with the Jills to Talking Proud, and general mayhem. (It was the craziest thing - the Bills win in OT and we just didn't leave the stands. Nobody wanted to go home, Talking Proud just kept playing, and the Bills finally just came back out, in all states of dress and undress).

What a game freezing rain and cold. For some reason our seats were at the top of the stadium last row. We had the goalpost last before they went over the edge. I think it was well past 7PM before anyone even considered leaving. I would love to see a video of the guys out in just their tees and football pants dancing in the middle of the field to Talking Proud. 1980 a season of great celebrations!!!

What a game freezing rain and cold. For some reason our seats were at the top of the stadium last row. We had the goalpost last before they went over the edge. I think it was well past 7PM before anyone even considered leaving. I would love to see a video of the guys out in just their tees and football pants dancing in the middle of the field to Talking Proud. 1980 a season of great celebrations!!!

The Rams game starts around 6:15 ... the winning kick & celebration around 8:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmI-16HjiM

Great story,... love you how connected it to the Bills!!

youtube.com/watch?v=mCmI-16HjiM

Thanx man that was great to relive. Like I said what a season and those unis ROCKED!!!!! Would love to see Buddy and company go back to that look. Blue top and white bottoms and white tops and blue bottoms, with the white helmet standing or charging buffalo on it.

I was there for that Rams game. It was surreal. It was such a bleak December day that faded into evening that faded into that weird Monday. We went from manic swing of euphoria to shock and depression that one of our childhood idols had been so senselessly attacked and murdered.

During the Dolphins game (against the Stillers I believe) Cosell came on with the news of the attack at the Dakota, with the report being Lennon was being rushed to Roosevelt Hospital. Shocked, yet still hope that it wasn't serious. Shortly after came the news nobody wanted to hear.

Those were "strange days indeed. (Most peculiar mama)".

1980 was a season of great celebrations. The opener vs. Miami - my name is on that goalpost somewhere!...The Raiders game, the Chargers game, then the mighty Steelers game (still remember the first half Butler circus catch). This Rams game, then the 49ers game, and me and something like 8000 other drunk fans at Prior Avaiation at midnight!

Thanks - that was so great to watch!!!

Great story,... love you how connected it to the Bills!!

Thank you - I appreciate you saying that! Being 18 years old and full of romance and drama, those 5 days will in my mind until I die.......The Bills were such a big part of that, and I always think of the Bills on Sunday and how much I cared about that Pats/Fins game on MNF when I hear about John Lennon's death.

I was three at the time but watching that is awesome. I miss the playoffs. People often talk about how the back to back 84/85 seasons were the worst but we are definitely in a darker stretch now. Hopefully fitzy and gang can take us out next year. GO BILLS.

1980 was a season of great celebrations. The opener vs. Miami - my name is on that goalpost somewhere!...The Raiders game, the Chargers game, then the mighty Steelers game (still remember the first half Butler circus catch). This Rams game, then the 49ers game, and me and something like 8000 other drunk fans at Prior Avaiation at midnight!

Other season hi-lites (just going by my ever-fading memory) included a great comeback win @ the Jets with a last minute TD pass to Frank Lewis and a home game vs. the Raiders and their newly acquired/traded for QB Dante Pastorini. We 'broke his freakin'' leg which brought in the eventual SB winning QB, Jim Plunkett. Whooped 'em anyway to go to 4-0.

Unfortunately for the Bills, the advent of the USFL, Knox's resignation and the '82 strike killed a powerhouse in the making. It's just about become a forgettable era..:cry: