Anyone own the samsung fascinate?

zevo

Don't know about the fascinate, but I have had the

Mesmerize Galaxy S since Nov. 1 and it has been great.

I guess that is not the long term aspect you were searching for.

The camera and video are incredible.

WV needs more 3G areas though :huh:

Just saw this, read the last paragraph of the article

Writer of the article doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't have the Fascinate but the TMobile equivalent Vibrant since July. Yes its true the carriers put their own bloat and skin. However the "non trivial tinkering" he's talking about to rid yourself of this is indeed pretty trivial. Simple one click root procedure and a file organizing app(available in the Android Market) allows you to delete undesirable stuff. It also allows you to completely change the UI of the phone by installing different launchers. Love the phone because you can customize it any way you like.

Heres a couple good sources of info that will tell you anything you want to know and simple instructions how to customize the phone.

XDA

Android Central

Edited by Dante

It's very easy to ignore those preinstalled apps.

I'd say battery life are the major issues with the Galaxy S line, so I would investigate that first with the Fascinate.

Picked up a couple spare batteries on ebay for $15 and it came with a charger for them. Now I just swap out batteries and rarely use my phone charger.

I went out and got it day one (Sep. 9) so I have probably the most experience with it. I like it but it's not perfect. On a 100 point happy scale I'm an 89. I just charge the phone every day and it lasts fine. It does the things I need decently. My major annoyance is the Froyo 2.2 update. It's been a "week or two away" since September. 2.2 has Flash and I like watching streaming video. But there is a browser app called Skyfire that translates Flash video into something the phone can show. Works most of the time.

I love "swyping". In fact I predict in a few years it will become the predominant way of entering text, even on computers. It's the cursive of the 21st century. The iPhone is still the grail to me but Andrioid is not bad.

PTR

Picked up a couple spare batteries on ebay for $15 and it came with a charger for them. Now I just swap out batteries and rarely use my phone charger.

I did that too, but that's a pita workaround because invariably you don't have the spare batteries on you when you really need them. I'm on my 3rd Captivate, but at least the battery life on this one seems to last more than a work day...

I did that too, but that's a pita workaround because invariably you don't have the spare batteries on you when you really need them. I'm on my 3rd Captivate, but at least the battery life on this one seems to last more than a work day...

I guess everyones situation is different. I carry my spare batteries in my laptop case that I take to work every day. I also have a phone charger at work. If I go out and think I may run out of juice I just put one of the spares in my pocket. Batteries are small enough. Not optimum situation but better than having to carry a charger around and look for a opportunity and place to plug it in.

Edited by Dante