Giants' Rolle: booing us like booing US soldiers

Antrel Rolle does not get it. Tuesday morning on his paid weekly radio spot on WFAN, the Giants safety said he was ticked off at fans who had booed the team. Thursday, he defended his stance by comparing himself and his Giants teammates to the troops coming home from Iraq.

"They want to make it that guys paid this much money for a ticket, yeah, I understand that, I understand completely. We risk ourselves out there on the field each and every day also. When soldiers come home from Iraq you don't boo them. I look at it the same way. I take my job seriously," Rolle said.

NY Daily News

my brother is in iraq right now serving for 1/1000th the money that he makes. Rolle's statement is uncalled for and disrespectful to our soldiers. Some of these guys just dont get it. They fail to realize how good they have it. I dont see how getting paid millions to play a sport for fun is similar to trying to survive in a warzone and sacrificing your life to protect the people of a country. get a life Rolle

Wow. I think I get his point and I am cool with his speaking his mind but I don't agree with his comparison. Who likes to get booed? I don't doubt his effort and I don't always agree with the fan attacks but...

Think for a second, what our troops are going through every day and night and how much of that stays with those that are fortunate to make it back. And also consider those that make it back with suicide and homelessness as the outcome.

Mr Rolle, flip open any Sunday edition of the obituary page and read about the troops we just lost. Think about their comrades, families and friends. Read the names of the spouses, kids and families of the deceased. Look at their ages, hometowns, high schools... Look at it.

What would Bob Kalsu and Pat Tillman say? If they could...

I had two paragraphs typed in here discussing Rolles comments, but then I figured he is just an uneducated man in all of this. He has no idea of what he speaks, and his emotions got the better of him much like our Stevie J. I hope someone from within the Giants organization grabs this guy and gives him some mentorship.

What a Richard.... ;)

As much as I typically support NFL players in labor disputes mainly due to the physical risks of their job, the only way I'd ever view an NFL player in the same light as I would someone in the military is if said NFL player had served prior to playing in the NFL. Aside from that, no comparison at all.