New Sabres Owner has another favorite sport

Guest FUKK THE BILLS

No, the rule is simply that you can't own a franchise in ANOTHER city that has an NFL team. You can own as many franchises in your OWN city as you want.

Easy example: Ralph could never have bought the Red Wings, Tigers or Pistons because Detroit has the Lions. But he could have bought the Sabres any time he wanted.

Check the batteries on the sarcasm detector

I can't find the link yet on the Buffalo News website (it just came out in this morning's paper), but Bucky Gleason came out with an article that gave a background on Terry Pegula, the would-be new owner of the Buffalo Sabres, based on interviews with friends and acquaintances. While news of Pegula buying the Sabres is exciting enough, one of Gleason's interview subjects speculated that Pegula would be looking to buy the Bills if "the pieces fell into place".

I know it's been talked about a little in another thread, but this is the first I've seen in print that he might actually have an interest in the Bills as well. From all accounts so far, the guy sounds like he's made of sunshine and chicken wings, and I really can't wait to see what happens! :worthy:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article271298.ece

May want to buy Bills

Purchasing the Sabres for $175 million would account for only 5.8 percent of Pegula's total wealth. Without getting too far ahead, sources said, he would be very interested in buying the Bills after the passing of owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr., now 92, if enough variables fall into place.

One source said, "I would not rule that out in any way, shape or form."

Pegula's favorite sports are football and hockey. He's a Bills fan who has a fondness for the Detroit Lions, but the Sabres are his true sports passion.

He was upset when Chris Drury and Daniel Briere left the organization. He couldn't comprehend how the team let Henrik Tallinder get away because he wanted a four-year contract rather than the three-year deal it offered.

Pegula wants to purchase the Sabres for one reason -- winning -- even if it means spending more money to get the best people around him.

"He's not in this to turn a profit," one friend said. "He's in this to win hockey games. That's what his major concern is going to be."

"He wants to win Stanley Cups -- as in plural," said another.

Estimates within the industry suggest that Golisano could turn a profit of more than $100 million by selling the team, in addition to the $30 million he has pocketed while turning the Sabres from a financial mess into a viable NHL franchise over the last seven years.

Forbes on Wednesday valued the Sabres at $169 million, which places them 21st in the 30-team league. However, it reported that the team's 2009-10 operating income fell by $7.9 million from the year before.

Golisano spends most of his time in Florida. Pegula also has a home there, in Boca Raton, but his confidants say he would be more involved than Golisano with the Sabres and surround himself with sound hockey minds.

"He's smart enough to know that he doesn't have all the answers in whatever he's doing," one former business associate said. "And with him, there's no ego -- none. He's a guy that never forgot where he came from."

Pegula came from Carbondale, Pa., a small town northeast of Scranton. His family was like many in the area, long on work ethic but short on money. He didn't play hockey as a child but loved the game.

After donating $88 million to Pennsylvania State University for a new arena and Division I hockey program, Pegula told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he worked in a strip mine when he was 14. His father was a coal miner who became a mechanic. Pegula said his parents and grandparents pooled whatever money they could find to send him to Scranton Prep, to which he hitchhiked 15 miles each way every day.

The current Sabres owner (Golisano) is a huge Bills fan. Selling the Sabres may be the way in which he sets himself up to buy the Bills when Ralph passes.

Just a thought.

I thought I read somewhere, over the years that Golisano is not a huge sports fan in general...his interest in owning franchises was based mainly on their benefits to the area where he holds most of his other business interests. I could see him being more interested in buying the Bills than owning the Sabres, for these reasons, but buying an NFL team is a huge committment.

Edited by Buftex

He was upset when Chris Drury and Daniel Briere left the organization. He couldn't comprehend how the team let Henrik Tallinder get away because he wanted a four-year contract rather than the three-year deal it offered.

If only he was around 4 years ago...