New Sabres Owner has another favorite sport

Guest FUKK THE BILLS

I'm wondering if Tommy G sold the Sabres because he is one of the investors in the group headed by Jim Kelly to buy the Bills. Or maybe he has a plan to buy them himself. He made a nice profit off the Sabres.

This. It was the first thought I had when I heard about the possible Sabres' sale yesterday.

Why no one on WGR has made the same connection is a mystery to me.

Wait, no it isn't.

Can't own an nfl and nhl team.

This was probably news to Wayne Huizenga when he owned the Dolphins, Panthers and Marlins.

The NFL rule is you can't own an NHL (or NBA or MLB) team in another city that also has an NFL team. Hence, Paul Allen can own the Seahawks in Seattle and the Blazers in Portland (which has no NFL team). But Jeremy Jacobs could not own the Bills and the Bruins, since Boston (sort of) has an NFL team. The NFL doesn't want its owners competing for revenue with each other.

I think the bigger issue for Golisano is that he probably can't afford to own both teams, or more precisely, he doesn't want to.

Edited by BRH

I thought the same thing when I read about his interest in the Sabres. Wouldn't it be great if he built up a Buffalo sports empire.

Speaking of Buffalo sports empires, that's another thing that needs to be brought back, a local sports television network. It's probably a money vacuum, but man do we need it.

This was probably news to Wayne Huizenga when he owned the Dolphins, Panthers and Marlins.

Yeah, but that's only because of that special rule that allows to to own in all three leagues. It's like a buy two, get one free deal. :lol:

Edited by shrader

Yeah, but that's only because of that special rule that allows to to own in all three leagues. It's like a buy two, get one free deal. :lol:

No, the rule is simply that you can't own a franchise in ANOTHER city that has an NFL team. You can own as many franchises in your OWN city as you want.

Easy example: Ralph could never have bought the Red Wings, Tigers or Pistons because Detroit has the Lions. But he could have bought the Sabres any time he wanted.

The current Sabres owner (Golisano) is a huge Bills fan. Selling the Sabres may be the way in which he sets himself up to buy the Bills when Ralph passes.

Just a thought.

You think of that all by yourself? :)