A one endzone football game

WWVaBeach

Which blows my mind. Safety? People forget that the Chicago Bears were Chicago's "North Side" team and the Cardinals were the "South Side" team (before moving to St. Louis in 1960). Still to this day, the one place that the Bears have played the most games in one place is Wrigley Field. Of course those days are soon numbered as long as the Bears continue to play at Soldier.

Oh... For the record, if you are wondering... I posted a comment for the article @ ESPN. My handle is "Sabre Dance."

:D

It was this:

"Hey JARblue, you wrote:

"I have an idea. Play in a football stadium instead of an ancient baseball stadium built before football was invented."

Did you even think about this? The Chicago Bears home field was Wrigley Field from 1921 to 1970. Wrigley was built in 1914 only 6 years earlier than when the Bears took residence. More games have been played at Wrigley by the Bears than at any other place in the team's history. Why was this not a problem from 1921 to 1970? And football was invented before 1914."

Then there is this little tidbit (Wiki):

"Wrigley Field once held the record for the most NFL games played in a single stadium with 365 regular season NFL games, but this record was surpassed in September 2003 by Giants Stadium in New Jersey, thanks to its dual-occupancy by the New York Giants and New York Jets."

Did they use one endzone for those 365 games?:wallbash: :wallbash:

So, if a DB intercepts the ball - which end zone does he run towards?

Doesn't seem fair that he'd run in the same direction as the Offense was going when he made the interception.

From my understanding it will be a full field. Only when a team is on O will they get to go towards one endzone. The rest of the game is played normally.

Which leads me to this... Just imagine if the players had to play with the goalposts on the goal line... IMO, where it should be.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I can't remember the source, but earlier this week, I heard that the field had a different configuration when the Bears used Wrigley. I'm sure the fans in the east endzone are going to be very understanding about this last minute change. :rolleyes:

That is what I wondered... Config now. So the ball playing field at Wrigley is smaller now than it was from 1921 to 1970? :blink: Did they not have brick walls and ivy in the outfield (since the 1930's). Has the backstop been made closer to home plate than it was in the old days??

The outfield itself has not changed since 1938, but when the Bears played there, the football field was laid out a bit differently with the endzones running from Leftfield to the first base dugout rather than from 3rd base to the right field wall.

The back of the endzones were still close the wall and presents a dangerous situation for players making plays in the back of the endzone. The main difference between 1970s and today is insurance and lawsuits. Can you imagine the lawsuits being doled out should player be seriously injured by crashing into a brickwall in a novelty style game such as this? The Big Ten, Wrigley Field, and the colleges are just covering their butts on this one.

The way the game is to be played is that all offensive plays will be run towards the 3rd base dugout endzone. Defensive players will still have to score on the opposite endzone. They just dont want offensive plays happening at the back of the right field endzone to limit injuries. Will this have a major impact on the game? I doubt it, nor do I believe any players on the field will be confused as to what to do. If so, I guess we'll know who the C average students are won't we?

Sources: http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/WrigleyField.html

Edited by WVUFootball29

The outfield itself has not changed since 1938, but when the Bears played there, the football field was laid out a bit differently with the endzones running from Leftfield to the first base dugout rather than from 3rd base to the right field wall.

The back of the endzones were still close the wall and presents a dangerous situation for players making plays in the back of the endzone. The main difference between 1970s and today is insurance and lawsuits. Can you imagine the lawsuits being doled out should player be seriously injured by crashing into a brickwall in a novelty style game such as this? The Big Ten, Wrigley Field, and the colleges are just covering their butts on this one.

The way the game is to be played is that all offensive plays will be run towards the 3rd base dugout endzone. Defensive players will still have to score on the opposite endzone. They just dont want offensive plays happening at the back of the right field endzone to limit injuries. Will this have a major impact on the game? I doubt it, nor do I believe any players on the field will be confused as to what to do. If so, I guess we'll know who the C average students are won't we?

Sources: http://www.andrewcle...igleyField.html

Thanks for the info WVU!

Why even have it a Wrigley then? It is too small.

Anyway... Just don't run in to the wall. Is it too hard to make players think? Just like when goal posts were on the goal line. It should be like the other advantages/disadvantages... The game now is so sterile.

So, if a DB intercepts the ball - which end zone does he run towards?

Doesn't seem fair that he'd run in the same direction as the Offense was going when he made the interception.

maybe its like half court basketball, where he'd have to cross teh 50, then turn around and run back towards the end zone?!?!

i still dont know.

of course, this IS the Big 10 we're talking about, so im sure it will be a slow, run based game anyways :devil:

Sources: http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/WrigleyField.html

:lol::lol: