SB Nation has Luck staying at Stanford

The Senator

#1 No need to rewrite history, Locker was not consensus #1 overall. Locker went back to school because his advisors told him that he had a second or third round grade by most scouts.

He went back to school to improve his draft status he failed at that.

#2 Luck is not Locker. Luck was rated higher than Locker last year and has only improved this year.

The point that Luck is concensus #1 QB this year and cannot go any higher is a valid point.

#3 There will absolutely be reeled in rookie signing in 2011.

It makes zero sense for the NFL owners to lock out players and then go spend crazy money on rookies that will be standing on picket lines. If you think any different you can add your well thought out thoughts here.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123078-signing-2011-draft-picks/page__p__2031599#entry2031599

#4 You forget that for some players the money will always be there.

Sam Bradford had the worst case scenario last year and still went first overall.

#5 "I will discuss entering the draft with my family and coaches" is the answer by every underclassman ever in the history of time. It means nothing; Tim Tebow used it his Junior year, and Sam Bradford used it. Its the same as not saying anything at all. What do you expect him to say?

The Truth is at this point in time no one knows what Luck is going to decide.

There are a lot of reasons why he could come out, one last year of huge rookie signings is not one.

Not to mention that the difference between a $35 million dollar rookie salary cap contract and $55 million dollar uncapped contract is minimal over the long term if Luck believes that he can make it the NFL. A player of Luck's potential will never play the contract out. If he is a franchise quarterback it would be renegotiated before the back loaded final year. If he were concerned he was not NFL material, he would come out now to get the most guaranteed money.

That is one of the reasons why these discussion do not swirl around Mallet and Cam Cameron. They do not have the concensus #1 QB tag and there are more questions of whether or not they can make a successful QB in the NFL. So they need to take the money when they can get it.

There are a lot of personal reasons Luck may stay, the Bills having the #1 overall is not likely one.

You can bicker of the unknowable all you want, but get your facts correct in your squabble.

Only time will tell.

That and the fact that Cameron is 49 years old....

Yes - and with eight games to go they are only wins ahead of Buffalo. You're stating the current standings as if it's a lock that the 49ers couldn't possibly end up picking first - which, at this point, is FAR from certain.

Hell, everything is far from certain - with half-a-season still to play!!!!

(If the 49ers DO pick first, that changes everything - Luck will not be able to resist a continued diet of Dungeness & Sourdough!)

Wait, the 49'ers don't have a chance to win more games as well? Look at their division! It's easily the worst in the NFL, and as bad as they are, they are only 2 games out of first place.

Yeah...it is fun to dream :rolleyes:

It's hardly a dream. Luck would be foolish to delay entering the draft if he's rated the top overall prospect and Harbaugh leaves, both of which look like certainties (we'll know more in 2 weeks). He'd be starting over with a new coaching staff and would have no chance at winning the national championship, and probably not even a Heismann. And staying to finish his degree (he's got a high B GPA in engineering) isn't a smart reason to stay either, since he can always finish later, and won't be using it much during his playing career.

Wait, the 49'ers don't have a chance to win more games as well? Look at their division! It's easily the worst in the NFL, and as bad as they are, they are only 2 games out of first place.

What's up, Doc? You didn't read the part where I wrote, 'Hell everthing is far from certain...'??? :unsure:

Yes, of course the 49ers could win more games. After all, they were picked to finish high in their division - yet somehow they only have 2 wins, half-way thru the season, and are 0-5 in their conference. But yes, they certainly could win more games. They could also lose more games. The Bills could 'win out'. There's still half a seasson to play, and anything could happen.

It's hardly a dream. Luck would be foolish to delay entering the draft if he's rated the top overall prospect and Harbaugh leaves, both of which look like certainties (we'll know more in 2 weeks). He'd be starting over with a new coaching staff and would have no chance at winning the national championship, and probably not even a Heismann. And staying to finish his degree (he's got a high B GPA in engineering) isn't a smart reason to stay either, since he can always finish later, and won't be using it much during his playing career.

Yeah, Doc, it is a dream.

Luck's actually in the Architectural Design program, typically a 5-year plan a many schools, but he's a sharp kid - probably with lot's of AP courses under his belt when he came in too - so is likely on target to finish in 4 years.

But make no mistake - it's a brutal program, one that's hard to just stop and pick back up years later. He's carrying a 3.5 GPA now - he's gonna finish his degree.

With college football coming off a season when celebrity quarterbacks like Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford dominated the landscape, Oliver Luck said that his son picked Stanford in part because he did not want to sign autographs on campus or be stalked by fans with cellphone cameras...

Luck, who has a 3.55 grade point average, also has an academic load in the classroom that few other star quarterbacks can match. His adviser, John Barton, described Luck’s architectural design major as having 36 units of math and science and a heavy dose of “hard-core structural engineering and designing.” Matt Leinart’s ballroom dancing classes at U.S.C., this is not...

Lehman said that Luck’s classmates knew who he was but generally left him alone. In his major, Luck is known as much for staying at office hours until 1 a.m. as for his football exploits. Although Luck is technically eligible for the N.F.L. draft this year, he talks about getting his degree from Stanford as if he were reading a public-service announcement.

“My family raised us that having a degree is important; it’s a must,” he said. “It’s definitely important for me.”

Link - NY Times

What's up, Doc? You didn't read the part where I wrote, 'Hell everthing is far from certain...'??? :unsure:

Yes, of course the 49ers could win more games. After all, they were picked to finish high in their division - yet somehow they only have 2 wins, half-way thru the season, and are 0-5 in their conference. But yes, they certainly could win more games. They could also lose more games. The Bills could 'win out'. There's still half a seasson to play, and anything could happen.

So why talk about what could happen, when right now, they're picking 4th?

Yeah, Doc, it is a dream.

Luck's actually in the Architectural Design program, typically a 5-year plan a many schools, but he's a sharp kid - probably with lot's of AP courses under his belt when he came in too - so is likely on target to finish in 4 years.

But make no mistake - it's a brutal program, one that's hard to just stop and pick back up years later. He's carrying a 3.5 GPA now - he's gonna finish his degree.

With college football coming off a season when celebrity quarterbacks like Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford dominated the landscape, Oliver Luck said that his son picked Stanford in part because he did not want to sign autographs on campus or be stalked by fans with cellphone cameras...

Luck, who has a 3.55 grade point average, also has an academic load in the classroom that few other star quarterbacks can match. His adviser, John Barton, described Luck’s architectural design major as having 36 units of math and science and a heavy dose of “hard-core structural engineering and designing.” Matt Leinart’s ballroom dancing classes at U.S.C., this is not...

Lehman said that Luck’s classmates knew who he was but generally left him alone. In his major, Luck is known as much for staying at office hours until 1 a.m. as for his football exploits. Although Luck is technically eligible for the N.F.L. draft this year, he talks about getting his degree from Stanford as if he were reading a public-service announcement.

“My family raised us that having a degree is important; it’s a must,” he said. “It’s definitely important for me.”

Link - NY Times

He can get his degree after he's done with football. It's a non-issue for a guy like him.

So why talk about what could happen, when right now, they're picking 4th?

Um...because they're not picking ' right now ' ???

Your arguments in this thread are entirely based on things that could happen...

1) Andrew Luck will forgo finishing the Stanford degree he's thus far worked his ass off to earn;

2) Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez will be fired;

3) Harbaugh will replace him as Michigan HC;

4) Harbaugh's leaving will "force" Luck to jump to the NFL;

5) Things can only go downhill for Luck if he stays in school another year. (??? :huh: ???)

Yet you ask, ' Why talk about what could happen??? ' :wacko:

Just freakin' hysterical.

He can get his degree after he's done with football. It's a non-issue for a guy like him.

"A guy like him" ??? :unsure:

Sounds like you know him pretty well. I'm sure your opinion will weigh heavily in his decision. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Senator

Um...because they're not picking ' right now ' ???

Your arguments in this thread are entirely based on things that could happen...

And yours are based on what you know will happen...based on Luck saying that earning a degree is so important? Or because the 49'ers... well, to be truthful, I have no idea what you're going off of it comes to the 49'ers. :lol::rolleyes:

Andrew Luck will forgo finishing the Stanford degree he's thus far worked his ass off to earn;

2) Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez will be fired;

3) Harbaugh will replace him as Michigan HC;

4) Harbaugh's leaving will "force" Luck to jump to the NFL;

5) Things can only go downhill for Luck if he stays in school another year. (??? :huh: ???)

Yet you ask, ' Why talk about what could happen??? ' :wacko:

Just freakin' hysterical.

I never said he will come out. I said he'd be a fool not to come out. Opportunities like this don't come along every day. To be the first overall pick is an honor as well as a financial windfall, and he's "worked his ass off" to be the top prospect in college/the draft. And if Harbaugh, who is responsible for resurrecting the program, bolts (I see you noticed the Wisconsin score, and that's Michigan's next opponent ;)), it only sets Luck back. So yes, being projected as the first overall should "force" him to enter the draft. And that's probably why he hasn't said "I'm staying in school all 5 years (I doubt he has more than a semester's worth of AP credits, if even) to finish my degree, period." That is a definitive statement.

"A guy like him" ??? :unsure:

I.e., a guy who will be making tens of millions of dollars in lieu of needing a degree to get a real job. Not to mention unable to practice in the field of his degree for possibly a decade or more. Again, it's not like this is his last chance to ever earn that degree.

Sounds like you know him pretty well. I'm sure your opinion will weigh heavily in his decision. :rolleyes:

Nope, don't know him. But my opinion is an opinion shared by most (except for those who don't want to see him come out ;)).

That would suck to have $100M+ in the bank when your career is over and not have that engineering degree on time. I'm sure after his career, he'd be willing to start at $100K working for Boeing or whoever.

Can we all just chill with these outragous rookie contract numbers.

Mathew Stafford signed a 6 year 72 million with 41.7 million guaranteed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4097641

Sam Bradford signed a 6 year 78 million contract with $50 Million guaranteed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5425041

If for some reason NFL owners sign a rookie to a contract during a lockout, which if there is a lock out signings will not happen, with 100% accuracy, the contract would be at most

6 year 85 million with $60 million guaranteed in 2011 following the growth of the last two years

So when we throw out this numbers lets not get crazy and start talking about $100 million guaranteed or next it will be $300 million guaranteed.

In all likehood after the lockout is over and rookies are signed there will be some type of reigned in system in place starting in 2011, regardless of what The Mort Reports says.

Meaning that 4 year 50-60 mil with 25-30 mil is what the #1 pick in 2011 is going to get.

NFLPA wants years off of the contract, so they can be Free Agents sooner, and the NFL wants reigned in guaranteed money.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

If for some reason NFL owners sign a rookie to a contract during a lockout, which if there is a lock out signings will not happen, with 100% accuracy, the contract would be at most

6 year 85 million with $60 million guaranteed in 2011 following the growth of the last two years

So when we throw out this numbers lets not get crazy and start talking about $100 million guaranteed or next it will be $300 million guaranteed.

In all likehood after the lockout is over and rookies are signed there will be some type of reigned in system in place starting in 2011, regardless of what The Mort Reports says.

Meaning that 4 year 50-60 mil with 25-30 mil is what the #1 pick in 2011 is going to get.

NFLPA wants years off of the contract, so they can be Free Agents sooner, and the NFL wants reigned in guaranteed money.

Meh, let's make it an even $$$ billion $$$ for Luck if he comes out - after all, what's a little hyperbole when you're tlaking about an event that's never going to occur anyway? B-)

That would suck to have $100M+ in the bank when your career is over and not have that engineering degree on time. I'm sure after his career, he'd be willing to start at $100K working for Boeing or whoever.

Yeah. Not to mention, I'm sure prospective employers would love that he graduated some 10 years earlier and hasn't been working in the field since. <_<

He said "...$100M+ in the bank when [his] career is over..."

Yeah. Not to mention, I'm sure prospective employers would love that he graduated some 10 years earlier and hasn't been working in the field since. <_<

So you think a guy that is an NFL QB for 10 years (which would mean he has a pretty successful career) is going to retire from football and then send out his resume in an effort to go to work for The Man like any other debt treadmill graduate? :unsure:

um, if he only has 100m when his career is over, he would have had a crappy career.

Contract plus endorsements would be 100s of millions.

Andrew Luck apparently indicated on KNBR recently that he wants to make sure and get his college degree before heading off to the NFL:

"I don’t think about [the NFL Draft] that much," the redshirt sophomore said on KNBR. "I still consider myself a pretty young guy. I need to get a degree in college before I start thinking about that stuff. I will probably stay in school for sure."

Read more: Stanford QB Andrew Luck Wants To Earn His College Degree Before Going Pro

That decision has not been made, and he is just talking now. That decision will be made months down the road with a lot more information at his disposal, and with some professional advice related to the labor situation, and more. Stay tuned, but I don't think anything said at this point in either direction should carry much weight other than where he would be leaning if making the decision right now.

So you think a guy that is an NFL QB for 10 years (which would mean he has a pretty successful career) is going to retire from football and then send out his resume in an effort to go to work for The Man like any other debt treadmill graduate? :unsure:

Apparently, seeing as how important graduating with an architectural degree from Stanford before he enters the NFL is to him and his family. ;)

And speaking of his degree, it's a 5-year program. He's in year 3. And as I said, at best he has a semester's worth of AP credits, meaning he'll need to at least be in school for 4-1/2 years. So does that means he's not entering the draft until 2013?

um, if he only has 100m when his career is over, he would have had a crappy career.

Contract plus endorsements would be 100s of millions.

That's not the point. Luck doesn't need a degree with the money he'll be making as the 1st overall pick, whether his career is long or not.

Apparently, seeing as how important graduating with an architectural degree from Stanford before he enters the NFL is to him and his family. ;)

And speaking of his degree, it's a 5-year program. He's in year 3. And as I said, at best he has a semester's worth of AP credits, meaning he'll need to at least be in school for 4-1/2 years. So does that means he's not entering the draft until 2013?

No, it's a 4-year plan - but don't let facts get in your way...

Stanford Architectural Design Program - Typical Sequence of Courses

Just because I mentioned that it's typically a 5-year plan in most schools doesn't mean that you just spew that back out as knowledge, without first checking! :nana:

And, BTW, you clearly have NO insight whatsoever into Luck's demeanor (nor his AP status :rolleyes: ) - a high school valedictorian, by all accounts he's every bit as gifted in the classroom as on the field.

Andrew Luck apparently indicated on KNBR recently that he wants to make sure and get his college degree before heading off to the NFL:

"I don’t think about [the NFL Draft] that much," the redshirt sophomore said on KNBR. "I still consider myself a pretty young guy. I need to get a degree in college before I start thinking about that stuff. I will probably stay in school for sure."

Read more: Stanford QB Andrew Luck Wants To Earn His College Degree Before Going Pro

And when his agent tells him "you will be losing out on about 25 million dollars if you stay in college because of next years rookie cap", he will come out for sure.

And yours are based on what you know will happen...based on Luck saying that earning a degree is so important? Or because the 49'ers... well, to be truthful, I have no idea what you're going off of it comes to the 49'ers. :lol::rolleyes:

Yeah, quite clearly you have no idea about much of anything!

The 49ers play 35 miles up Route 101 from 'The Farm', San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities on the planet, and they are absolutely drooling over the prospect of drafting this kid out there - and you have no idea why I mention them in a Andrew Luck/NFL Draft scenario? Seriously??? :unsure:

Wow! :wacko:

Edited by The Senator

The 49ers play 35 miles up Route 101 from 'The Farm', San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities on the planet, and they are absolutely drooling over the prospect of drafting this kid out there - and you have no idea why I mention them in a Andrew Luck/NFL Draft scenario? Seriously??? :unsure:

Sorry but I can't see a place where the average high in the summer is 68 as being in that category...gotta b a little warmer than that...sad when October is warmer than July...plus the gayness is a little much for me

Edited by matter2003

Sorry but I can't see a place where the average high in the summer is 68 as being in that category...gotta b a little warmer than that...sad when October is warmer than July...plus the gayness is a little much for me

Then I would imagine just about any cosmopolitan city is ' a little much ' for you. As for the climate, must really suck to live in Sydney, Australia, huh?

I lived in EssEff (Russian Hill) for 7 years - 68 in July is extremely comfortable - if you like it warmer, take a 10 minute ferry across the Bay to Alameda/Oakland or drive a few minutes down the peninsula (where most of the players live anyway). The number of 'micro-climates' and the difference a mile or two can make is quite fascinating.

As for the 'gay' thing - the gay population is higher in NYC, in LA, and in Chicago than in San Francisco.

Please - a little silly is fine, but try not to be ' really stupid silly '.

Edited by The Senator

No, it's a 4-year plan - but don't let facts get in your way...

Stanford Architectural Design Program - Typical Sequence of Courses

Just because I mentioned that it's typically a 5-year plan in most schools doesn't mean that you just spew that back out as knowledge, without first checking! :nana:

And, BTW, you clearly have NO insight whatsoever into Luck's demeanor (nor his AP status :rolleyes: ) - a high school valedictorian, by all accounts he's every bit as gifted in the classroom as on the field.

Whether it's 5 years or 4 years is immaterial. Delaying entering the draft is a bad move, period.

As for the 49'ers, big rip that they want him. So too will about half the league come the 2011 draft. :rolleyes:

Whether it's 5 years or 4 years is immaterial. Delaying entering the draft is a bad move, period.

I'm sure Andy will weigh your opinion very heavily in his decision process - you've proven yourself to be a highly reliable source of accurate information so far! :lol:

Edited by The Senator

I'm sure Andy will weigh your opinion very heavily in his decision process - you've proven yourself to be a highly reliable source of accurate information so far! :lol:

Considering the source...yawn. And Andy can do whatever he wants. If he stays in school another year, he's a fool. And that's coming from someone who also values education.

Considering the source...yawn. And Andy can do whatever he wants. If he stays in school another year, he's a fool. And that's coming from someone who also values education.

Take classes in the offseason. I'd rather be taking classes part-time while I count my #1 pick bonus money rather than be a proud colege graduate and middle manager in some fortune 500 company because I got injured my Junior year. This is also coming from someone who has multiple degrees.

Considering that you claim to be " someone who values education ", I wonder if you realize the extreme oxymoronic nature of that statement? :w00t:

Considering that you claim to be " someone who values education ", I wonder if you realize the extreme oxymoronic nature of that statement? :w00t:

The pint being most people get an education to give them a chance to start a career with that education and support themselves. If you can set yourself up for life by declaring for the draft, you set yourself up for life. I could see the argument to get a diploma even for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but not the #1 overall pick in the draft. You sign a single contract and you have enough guaranteed money so that even if you get injured, you can walk away from football having made multi-millions.

The pint being most people get an education to give them a chance to start a career with that education and support themselves. If you can set yourself up for life by declaring for the draft, you set yourself up for life. I could see the argument to get a diploma even for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but not the #1 overall pick in the draft. You sign a single contract and you have enough guaranteed money so that even if you get injured, you can walk away from football having made multi-millions.

Thank you.

True. The dilemma in this case is that it comes down to Luck's personal values. Specifically, it is a reality that not everyone is motivated strictly by dollar signs.

I think there are as many different motivations to earn a degree as there are individuals, and would never be so arrogant as to transpose any perceived desire of personal fortune that you, I, Doc, or anyone else may (or may not) have on Andrew Luck in his decision whether to enter the draft in April, or finish his degree first.

All indications are, however, that he is a brilliant and hard-working student who places a very high value on finishing his Stanford degree - a desire that is instilled by and strongly supported by his family.

Thank you, Doc. Just got back from the game and didn't want to have to explain that........Jeez and then he says well then his career would suck if it's only $100M. Sorry, I didn't come to an exact number that Manning and Brady will come up with. Maybe Luck will blow some of it.