A Solution to the Spiller Problem

CJ Spiller is not a running back. CJ Spiller is a wide receiver hybrid.

Think about Percy Harvin. He was a hybrid in college, and was run oriented as he had more rushing yards and touchdowns than receiving in each of his college seasons. In the NFL he is used almost exclusively as a receiver. In college he was listed as 5'11" and 195 pounds (sound familiar?). Now that he is accepted as a receiver he is listed as 185 pounds.

Spiller is explosive in space, but is just not a bruising between the tackles sort of guy. He needs to be used as more of a slot receiver hybrid.

He will never be a normal #1 type receiver, and that's not the goal.

He can catch short screens, run checkdown routes and short to intermediate crossing routes. He can carry the ball on reverses and end arounds. In shotgun sets he can motion from the slot to the backfield and run a sweep.

CJ Spiller has potential as the next Percy Harvin. As a traditional running back, it's not really there.

Edited by NaPolian8693

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or he's adjusting to the pro game and will be a good RB eventually. Needs to learn patience, one cut n go, the dancing aound and bouncing it outside that worked in college isnt happening in the NFL. Of course it would help if we could run block better, or had a more balanced attack.

CJ Spiller is not a running back. CJ Spiller is a wide receiver hybrid.

Think about Percy Harvin. He was a hybrid in college, and was run oriented as he had more rushing yards and touchdowns than receiving in each of his college seasons. In the NFL he is used almost exclusively as a receiver. In college he was listed as 5'11" and 195 pounds (sound familiar?). Now that he is accepted as a receiver he is listed as 185 pounds.

Spiller is explosive in space, but is just not a bruising between the tackles sort of guy. He needs to be used as more of a slot receiver hybrid.

He will never be a normal #1 type receiver, and that's not the goal.

He can catch short screens, run checkdown routes and short to intermediate crossing routes. He can carry the ball on reverses and end arounds. In shotgun sets he can motion from the slot to the backfield and run a sweep.

CJ Spiller has potential as the next Percy Harvin. As a traditional running back, it's not really there.

I disagree, think Reggie Bush

Yea well, the Bills currently have a small speedy guy in the slot, Roscoe Parrish, who is currently more experienced running NFL routes and better at blocking then Spiller.The Bills need to use Spiller more in the Reggie Bush mold then in the Percy Harvin mold, IMO.

The entire problem with Spiller and his play is his inexperience in running NFL passing routes, his pass blocking and run blocking. Not to mention how bad the O line still is, if the line play was better he would have more holes to run thru and wouldn't be needed as much in protection schemes

Spiller will suddenly become a much much better back by next year just by gaining playing experience AND if the Bills finally upgrade the O line like they said they would last off season, you know the O line was a priority....but Nix must have been napping during the draft.

Cue the laughable C.J. Spiller is the next Chris Johnson homer in 3...2...1...

"Just give him time" is the mantra that desperate Bills fans have chanted year after year as they watch their failed draft choices die on the vine.

Our guys have to develop and learn how to be good players while we watch the ones we pass on set foot on the field from day 1 and make an immediate impact.

But hey, if Spiller averages like 150 yards and a touchdown every single game for the rest of the year, he can have a similar rookie season to Johnson.

Except he is only a 10-touch at most situational back, so that'll be tough. But hey, he tore it up in college so that is cool.

Slot is most likely his only role in the NFL. I'm sure Gailey is aware, which is why he doesn't really see the field with Roscoe performing.

I wonder what Chan's said to Nix about the pick. Has he given up on him? They got rid of Marshawn because the vaunted "three-headed-monster" looked like it was a six-footed-monster - with all left feet that ran nowhere. If Chan doesn't know what to do with the guy, what does that say about Chan and CJ and Nix? OJ Simpson spent his rookie year returning kicks. I've got to think that Spiller has the talent to make it big in this league. This is a puzzle. If Nix drafted him to be a 10 touch situational back - then Nix IS a tool.

Again, i never compared spiller's performance to chris johnson's, but hey akm you keep believing whatever your feeble mind will conjure up.

Actually i agree with much of what the OP suggests, since Spiller's versatility was one of his biggest selling points coming out of college.

No doubt spiller currently stuggles in the "conventional" running back role. I personally think he'll get better in that role, but maybe he won't. I guess we will wait and see. If some of you guys want to throw the guy on the scrap heap after one half of his rookie season go ahead and keep on thinking that; there's no cure for that type of stupid.

Oh my god, I saw the same observation in 1969 when Larry Felser said O.J. should be switched to WR.

Well, OJ went on to become the leagues best RB.

I don't think you should try to compare Spiller to Simpson - that's really a little bit silly.

It's already clear he will never live up to his high draft status, I'm just hopeful they can do something with him that actually allows him to contribute to the team.

Right now as a running back, he seems like he is more of a liability than an asset. He can't run inside and can't pass block, so it's hard to even put him on the field.

I don't think you should try to compare Spiller to Simpson - that's really a little bit silly.

It's already clear he will never live up to his high draft status.

Actually your statement above is far sillier.

Fred Jackson - 3.8 ypc

CJ Spiller - 3.8 ypc

No one on the team is running the ball this year.

Actually your statement above is far sillier.

Fred Jackson - 3.8 ypc

CJ Spiller - 3.8 ypc

No one on the team is running the ball this year.

Measuring Spiller against one of the least productive starting NFL running backs isn't a great way to make your argument, sir.

Measuring Spiller against one of the least productive starting NFL running backs isn't a great way to make your argument, sir.

1400 total yards last year was pretty productive. You see, sir, that's why I said "this year" no one is running the ball well. As opposed to last year, when Jackson did run for over 1,000 and average 4.5 ypc.

Jackson's performance last year put him squarely in the middle of the NFL in terms of yards gained, and near the bottom of the NFL in rushing touchdowns (fun fact: Mark Sanchez and Quinton Ganther had more). He was merely average to slightly below average last year, and as expected, his productivity continues to decline as he approaches 30.

Not a big surprise - pretty much everyone saw it coming.

Jackson's performance last year put him squarely in the middle of the NFL in terms of yards gained, and near the bottom of the NFL in rushing touchdowns (fun fact: Mark Sanchez and Quinton Ganther had more). He was merely average to slightly below average last year, and as expected, his productivity continues to decline as he approaches 30.

Not a big surprise - pretty much everyone saw it coming.

He was 10th in yards from scrimmage last year: not "middle of the pack" unless only 20 running backs played in the NFL last year. Oh sorry, you said "yards gained." Well, in total yardage, Fred Jackson was 1st overall. Pull out all the random statistics you like, and bury yourself even more. All I said was he was more productive last year than this year.

So Spiller is averaging less than 4 yards a carry because he sucks, is a bust, is too small, and never should have been picked...

And Jackson is averaging less than 4 yards a carry because he sucks, is over the hill, and was never any good to begin with?

Which is why we should have never drafted him. We had a much better running game last year with Lynch and Fred with the same O-line as last year except RT. We should have traded back to get Bulaga and more picks.

Same O-line as last year? Uh no, nice try but not even close. Trade back to get Bulaga huh? Yeah, lets draft a right tackle who isn't good in the first round. Some people just have a need to live in the past and comfort themselves with regret.