Collinsworth just recommended Perry Fewell for the soon to be vacant C

Smiley Dear

It's coaches putting players in position for playmakers 2 make plays. Last year Perry Fewell maximized the play making potential of the Bills secondary, by playing the cover 2 that allowed everything to stay in front of them. They played the same defense for several years, and had some nice secondary players and we had a pass rush with Aaron Schobel and Williams/Stroud/Kelsay in their more natural positions. Moving over to the Giants who struggled on defense last year, as their dc didn't do them any favors, the giants last year also lacked playmakers in the secondary.

Fast Forward to this year, the Giants added Antrelle Rolle and Deon Grant, and got back Kenny Philips, and added the veteran experience of Keith Bullock at lb. Mix in Perry Fewell who can undoubtedly take advantage of the talent of the front 7 players the Giants have, and with a basic defense like the cover 2 allows the giants secondary to make plays. It's a coaching/talent mix. If you have the players odds are you are gonna succeed. Good coaches make good players better, and vice versa. When you don't have the players though in the front 7 of your defense regardless of coaching you're not gonna make plays, which is the problem the Bills face. Until we can find a pass rush, we're going to be a defense that gives up a lot of plays in the back end. Until we find Lb's we're also going to give up a lot of rushing yards. No amount of coaching is going to fix that.

It's coaches putting players in position for playmakers 2 make plays. Last year Perry Fewell maximized the play making potential of the Bills secondary, by playing the cover 2 that allowed everything to stay in front of them. They played the same defense for several years, and had some nice secondary players and we had a pass rush with Aaron Schobel and Williams/Stroud/Kelsay in their more natural positions. Moving over to the Giants who struggled on defense last year, as their dc didn't do them any favors, the giants last year also lacked playmakers in the secondary.

Fast Forward to this year, the Giants added Antrelle Rolle and Deon Grant, and got back Kenny Philips, and added the veteran experience of Keith Bullock at lb. Mix in Perry Fewell who can undoubtedly take advantage of the talent of the front 7 players the Giants have, and with a basic defense like the cover 2 allows the giants secondary to make plays. It's a coaching/talent mix. If you have the players odds are you are gonna succeed. Good coaches make good players better, and vice versa. When you don't have the players though in the front 7 of your defense regardless of coaching you're not gonna make plays, which is the problem the Bills face. Until we can find a pass rush, we're going to be a defense that gives up a lot of plays in the back end. Until we find Lb's we're also going to give up a lot of rushing yards. No amount of coaching is going to fix that.

im sorry but even though you make sense and know your stuff, you havent been on the board long enough to be right.

no its not, weve got almost allthe same players as last year and our defense is far worse its 50/50 not 75

The Run defense is still horrible. The pass defense sucks now because we do not have Schoebel and some of the players are playing out of their positions. It is definitely players and scheme. But scheme does not matter when you do not have the players.

All Fewell has to do in an interview is point out his record as Bills coach in 2009, compare it to the 2010 team and just let the team interviewing him say "You're hired!" Every week the Bills are looking dumber & dumber for not realizing they already had the best coaching candidate available already coaching the team. What was Gailey's selling point? That he was going to turn Trent Edwards into a quality QB? Fewell already knew Fitzpatrick was better than Edwards. This team would be better off with Fewell as head coach and last year's staff than what they have now. All they needed was to get an offensive coordinator and for Fewell to tweak the D away from what Jauron ordered him to do. Now I must admit that I wanted Fewell gone because I blamed him for the Tampa defense, but I was dead wrong-Perry Fewell should be coaching the Bills.

All Fewell has to do in an interview is point out his record as Bills coach in 2009, compare it to the 2010 team and just let the team interviewing him say "You're hired!" Every week the Bills are looking dumber & dumber for not realizing they already had the best coaching candidate available already coaching the team. What was Gailey's selling point? That he was going to turn Trent Edwards into a quality QB? Fewell already knew Fitzpatrick was better than Edwards. This team would be better off with Fewell as head coach and last year's staff than what they have now. All they needed was to get an offensive coordinator and for Fewell to tweak the D away from what Jauron ordered him to do. Now I must admit that I wanted Fewell gone because I blamed him for the Tampa defense, but I was dead wrong-Perry Fewell should be coaching the Bills.

I'll say this to my grave...the Bills needed a complete coaching staff overhaul after 2009. Don't get me wrong - I like what Fewell did with the players and the attitude he brought to the team after Jauron was gone, but it wasn't the right time for him in Buffalo. Personally, I didn't want any link to the Jauron era and I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph wanted the same. It was time to re-vamp the coaching staff and start from scratch again.

Not to mention, I'm not yet sold on the Giants D. Yes, they have good personnel, but their wins have been over Carolina, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, and Houston. About the only "good" win in that group is Houston and they're showing that they're not the team everyone thought they would be. Their D got manhandled by Indy and Tennessee and doesn't really face a good test until December 26th at Green Bay.

I'll say this to my grave...the Bills needed a complete coaching staff overhaul after 2009. Don't get me wrong - I like what Fewell did with the players and the attitude he brought to the team after Jauron was gone, but it wasn't the right time for him in Buffalo. Personally, I didn't want any link to the Jauron era and I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph wanted the same. It was time to re-vamp the coaching staff and start from scratch again.

Not to mention, I'm not yet sold on the Giants D. Yes, they have good personnel, but their wins have been over Carolina, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, and Houston. About the only "good" win in that group is Houston and they're showing that they're not the team everyone thought they would be. Their D got manhandled by Indy and Tennessee and doesn't really face a good test until December 26th at Green Bay.

Oh...Are you sold on the Buffalo D? or O?

That defense kicked butt without him and will kick butt when he's long gone.

It's the players, man...the nfl is 75% the players

Amen. Was Barry Switzer the reason the Cowboys won the Superbowl? I am sure Brain Billick thinks he is the reason for the Ravens success, but talent makes the coach, not the other way around.

And do not discount the postive effect Eli Manning has had on that defense. The Giants offense keeps the ball, scores points and puts the D in a position to succeed. That being said, I thought Perry Fewell HC and Chan Gailey OC would have been acceptable.

That defense kicked butt without him and will kick butt when he's long gone.

Defensively, last year's Giants were 13th in yards per game (15th against the pass, 14th versus the run), 30th in points per game, tied for 22nd in takeaways, and 21st in sacks.

Their ranks in those categories under Fewell this season: First (second, second), 12th, tied for second, and tied for 27th.

The only place Fewell hasn't made a difference is sacks accumulated. Everything else has changed significantly for the better since last season.

Some guys are just better coordinators than HC's. There's no shame in it, that's just the way it is. And after being made HC, Fewell wasn't going to go back to being a DC again.

All things considered, Fewell did a pretty damn good job as the head coach here.

Edited by McGee