What Should I Watch Next?

ajzepp

I'm a fan of True Blood. I didn't expect much going in, but it's actually VERY good. Don't watch with your parents though.... That could be a bit awkward as there's a lot of sex and nudity in the beginning. It tapers off after a few episodes, but it's always there in almost every episode. But aside from that, the story is pretty entertaining and well done. Plus, Anna Paquin is pretty cute. ;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, looks like there are a lot of good shows on tv these days! lol Thanks for the continued suggestions...adding each oen to my list for future reference :)

True blood I have seen a few times and really liked it. For some reason I didn't watch more than a couple episodes, but I see the potential there for sure.

I watched the 2nd episode of Mad Men last night and preferred it over the first. I'll continue watching the rest of the first disc of season one and then see how much interest I have to keep going.

As I posted in my other thread, I have The Walking Dead to watch now, too...I really enjoyed that last night.

I second this. I came to this show late--I was not interested when it first came out. But now I consider it one of the greatest sit-coms of all time. Up there with Cheers, Seinfeld, Arrested Development. The writing is consistently great and funny.

I recently started going through the full run of Arrested Development again. The constant barrage of out of context Tobias quotes might just be even funnier now. They never get old. I'm not sure if aj is looking for more recent shows, but this was going to be my suggestion even before I read your post.

HBO's Rome, both of them, albeit the second one is darker than the first

Second season felt rushed. Did some reading on the series and found that the plan was originally for 5 seasons, but they found out early in season 2 that they would not be picked up. So the second half of season two wraps up season two and squeezes in seasons 3 and 4. Season 5 would have been set years later in the Holy Land and centered around the coming of the Messiah

Cool topic. I'm actually doing the same thing right now. When I hear about a TV show that has created a significant buzz by Season 2 or so and I HAVEN'T been watching it, I do everything I can to block it out for the remainder of the series. Because I know some years down the line, I can do the DVD thing and enjoy it.

I'll throw in another vote for The Wire. 5 Seasons, slow methodical pace but NOT boring. Great plots, EXCELLENT characters and character development and good action when the time is right. I just wrapped up Season 4 and I'm actually sad that I'm coming to to a close. I've been watching it since mid-August. It's been like a 3-month-long awesome movie.

I've been pondering your same question lately too...what next? I always heard great things about The Shield so it's near the top of my list. I tried to do Lost while I was doing The Wire but it was too much. So I might get back to that one.

Caveat, I don't like doing it with shows that are still on TV. It's too frustrating for me once I catch up to real time. I did that with Nip/Tuck and I got so used to being able to watch 3-6 Episodes back-to-back. When I caught up and had to wait a week, I felt like I was going through drug withdrawals. :lol:

Caveat, I don't like doing it with shows that are still on TV. It's too frustrating for me once I catch up to real time. I did that with Nip/Tuck and I got so used to being able to watch 3-6 Episodes back-to-back. When I caught up and had to wait a week, I felt like I was going through drug withdrawals. :lol:

lol, that's what happened to me with 24! I don't remember EVER watching fewer than 2 or 3 episodes in a row when I was watching on DVD, so once I got caught up (start of season 5 or 6, can't remember), aside from the first week when they had the 2-night, 4-episode premier, I was NOT satisfied at al lol.

The same thing sort of happened with Lost, but it wasn't until about 1/3 of the way through the last season when I got caught up . So I still had the first few episodes of that season to watch on Hulu/iTunes, and then caught the last handful of episodes live with everyone else.

But I am really enjoying the tv-show-on-dvd thing...especially getting to have such a great selection available for streaming on netflix! hard to beat that :)

I'm kinda thinkin' about digging into Deadwood, the HBO western from a few years back. Three seasons, all done with and on dvd. I've heard some very good things...

This is a bit of a tangent, but have you seen the trailer for True Grit?

But I am really enjoying the tv-show-on-dvd thing...especially getting to have such a great selection available for streaming on netflix! hard to beat that :)

I agree...it's an awesome experience. It's like hearing about a badass movie that you never saw and all your friends say is great.

Except this 'movie' is 60-70 hours long. :thumbsup::lol:

I haven't, but anything the Coen Bros. do, I will check it out.

I saw it when I went to see jackass 3d last week...it was one of the more intense trailers I've seen. It's gonna be ridiculously good, It hink. Helluva cast.

I agree...it's an awesome experience. It's like hearing about a badass movie that you never saw and all your friends say is great.

Except this 'movie' is 60-70 hours long. :thumbsup::lol:

lol, exactly

I'm kinda thinkin' about digging into Deadwood, the HBO western from a few years back. Three seasons, all done with and on dvd. I've heard some very good things...

Deadwood is great. But, make sure there are no kids around and turn up the volume as some of the lanquage is hard to keep up with. Takes a few episodes to get used to it, much the same as it took me a while to be able to follow the yo's on the Wire. But you get used to it after a bit.

I will second Treme..Oz was good...

This is a bit of a tangent, but have you seen the trailer for True Grit?

I saw it this weekend when I saw Paranormal Activity 2. Good trailer, but damn, they showed an awful lot. Sometimes I wish studios would not give too much away in their previews.

I may check out True Grit when it comes out, even though I am not a big fan of the Coen Bros.

As for your main topic at hand, you should check out Pushing Daisies, it was a very funny show, and was sadly cut after two seasons. Although I understand why, mainstream audiences do not respond well to shows with that kind of humor and originality. Lee Pace, Anna Friel, Kristen Chenoweth & Chi McBride are all good in it.

I have also started watching "The Closer" on dvd, and I am enjoying that show. Kyra Sedgwick is great in it.

Another really good cable tv show you should check out on dvd is "Damages". It is not your typical lawyer-crime-drama show. Glenn Close is phenomenal in it, and a couple good performances by Rose Byrne & Ted Danson as well. Not to mention a slew of good guest stars.

Finally if you want a good thrill, I highly recommend "Supernatural". An underrated CW show that is now in it's 6th season on tv. All previous seasons are on dvd. If you enjoyed shows like, X-Files, Buffy, or Angel, then you will like this too. Lots of good monsters and very good "scares" for a tv show. Not to mention the writing, storyline and acting is top-notch.

Mark: You're right, they did show a lot...maybe that's why I thought it was so intense lol. I've had a love/hate thing with the Coen bros, so I know where you're coming from. Typically though, my stance is that their stuff is almost always interesting and different, so I'll usually check their stuff out regardless.

Thanks for the tv suggestions...I had no idea there was this much good stuff on tv...the list is getting very healhty! lol

I'd stick with Mad Men. I was ready to give up after the first few episodes but it really picks up.

Then I'd watch The Wire.

I'm going to watch Papillion (sp?) tonight, and then I'll probably throw in the third ep. of Mad Men. If it is as good as the 2nd episode or better, I'll keep going. It's sort of like how I'm handling The Event. I've taken it episode by episode, cause I wasn't convinced it would be worth my time. I'm still hanging in there, but I'm not sold on it yet. I love the pace of the show and I like the alient / sci-fi angle...but who knows if I'll make it through all season.

I really enjoyed the 2nd ep of Mad Men, though...

Dexter is phenomenal. You have to get past the first 2 episodes, which are lame, and then it gets good... no, GREAT. 6 months ago I would have said Weeds is the best series I've ever watched, but Dexter has taken it's place.

Well shiit man...I watched the first two episodes a while ago and stopped after that, lol. Now I may need to watch the rest of the first season since you said it gets better. Why do some of these shows suck so bad in the first episode or two?? I rely on them to set my level of interest dammit!