Are there any "hidden gems" on this defense???

DUFF

This season we have had discovered some "hidden gems" on offense (Fitz, Johnson) and revived some old unused talent (Parrish). My question is there anyone on this defense that could be a late bloomer? Carrington? Troup? I wish I could say Maybin....but I won't.

I don't think carrington and Troup qualify. Two dlinemen less then half a season into there career and picked in the first 3 rounds? I dunno I think its just a matter of them learning technique and getting a little stronger. I think they will follow a pretty standard arc for learning the position and be good in a year or so. Probably not probowl but starters.

I think its harder to find hidden gems on Our D as even the depth has played in a couple schemes- id look to the secondary when they get a pass rush, and maybe a couple of the late or udfa additions like Coleman.

This season we have had discovered some "hidden gems" on offense (Fitz, Johnson) and revived some old unused talent (Parrish). My question is there anyone on this defense that could be a late bloomer? Carrington? Troup? I wish I could say Maybin....but I won't.

"Hidden Gem" is probably not the right word for him, but I think it's fair to say Kyle Williams has been a pleasant surprise to many in his ability to play well as a 3-4 NT.

McKelvin has really come on - still a little inconsistent, but he's made a lot more very impressive positive plays this year than negative - definitely improved over past seasons. Obviously, since he's a former first-rounder, he wasn't quite "hidden" but he was getting there.

I think the jems where fond last year but aren't being utilized as well this year . With the exception of Kyle Williams being utilized ,B.Scott & G. Wilson where definitely great finds last year & i believe that Wilson with what he did last year should be our starting safety . He had more production last year than Donte has had in all the time he's been here .

I will give Donte some what of a pass because last year he was all over the place which i think makes him a great depth player , but as a first rounder & a starter he should be contributing more in the performance catagory . Plus i've seen him a number of times come in on a tackle back first trying to just knock a guy down and not rap him up what's up with that ???

"Hidden Gem" is probably not the right word for him, but I think it's fair to say Kyle Williams has been a pleasant surprise to many in his ability to play well as a 3-4 NT.

McKelvin has really come on - still a little inconsistent, but he's made a lot more very impressive positive plays this year than negative - definitely improved over past seasons. Obviously, since he's a former first-rounder, he wasn't quite "hidden" but he was getting there.

Are you sure about that? We get run all over and we have had to play some 4 - 3 to try to stop the bleeding.

McKelvin has really come on - still a little inconsistent, but he's made a lot more very impressive positive plays this year than negative - definitely improved over past seasons.

I'm sorry, I don't see it. He's still far away from being an "impact corner". Every time his man catches a ball the words "first rounder" flash in my mind. Has he knocked down ANY passes this year?

With a similar cast on d as last year the Bills are struggling. At least last year they could stop the pass and slow down the run. This year they can't do either. It may be the scheme they are asked to run. All in all last week I thought Troup did a workman like job as a tackle, at least on pass rushing. His bull rush really pushed the pocket back into the quarterback giving him no place to step up to. However, there were no edge rushers making the quarterback even want to step up. I hope Coleman, Moats, Carrington, or maybe Maybin, can step up and get a pass rush from the outside and the Bills will get some sacks then. If they don't it is going to be a long year. The ends are so worried over run plays they are slow to rush the passer on passing downs. Against the Bills third and six can easily be a running down. Kelsey seems to get caught up inside on plays around his end. Again I think Moats and especially Coleman may be the answer. Time will tell. These are the two players to watch. My only problem is the tv announcer doesn't always mention when they are coming into the game and I don't always see the numbers.

I'd love to see us use the "Psycho Defense" that I think GB does with one DL and a wole bunch of Lbs hanging out up and down the line ready yo rushhthe passer in 2 or 3rd and longs. we used to call it the "Freak" I think. Guess, our def coordinator can't figure it out.

We may not have enough capable linebackers to do this. Also it is easy to run against as you have big linemen against smaller linebackers. The bills get run over regularly anyway. Why make it easier?

Or maybe it won't be any worse.

I think that the biggest problem on D is the complexity of assignments. This defense is a new world to the soft, play 10 yards off cover-2 that we played. It's obvious that all of our DBs are inconsistent when asked to cover one on one. The truth is that we never had a pass rush from multiple sides of the line while Fewel was here, and that fact is compounded this year by DBs hung out to dry singled up. Everyone says that we need a pass rusher, but the sad truth is that we need more than one. Once we can get 2 front seven players that command double attention, we will begin to see results. Then again I think that holds true for any defense.