Scared That Bills Take Ponder With First Pick

box0life

What would you do if the Bills took Christian Ponder with the first pick in the draft and they didn't take Andrew Luck?

If this happens and it is a real possibility, this reach pick would probably put me over the edge. Ponder just doesn't do anything for me. I wouldn't take him unless it was the third or fourth round and we were desperate at QB. But given Modrak and companies track record, I'm already scared to death that they are even considering him. There are several statements that say Nix likes Luck and Ponder at QB and Bills scouts are going to see him this week. I hope he flops so we don't consider him in the future.

We must take Luck if he is available, if not we go with the best DE, DT, LB or OT available. Case closed.

What would you do if the Bills took Christian Ponder with the first pick in the draft and they didn't take Andrew Luck?

If this happens and it is a real possibility, this reach pick would probably put me over the edge. Ponder just doesn't do anything for me. I wouldn't take him unless it was the third or fourth round and we were desperate at QB. But given Modrak and companies track record, I'm already scared to death that they are even considering him. There are several statements that say Nix likes Luck and Ponder at QB and Bills scouts are going to see him this week. I hope he flops so we don't consider him in the future.

We must take Luck if he is available, if not we go with the best DE, DT, LB or OT available. Case closed.

The sky is falling? Why are you inventing reasons to be disappointed in the Bills? I don't think you have to work so hard to worry . . .

There will be 4 or more QBs taken before Ponder next Spring . . .

First time all season something somewhat positive happens, and you decide to make 2 posts about the Bills being bad? Try looking at the glass as half full when you can, its much more fun. Maybe we lose, maybe we win this week. The Chiefs arent great, and are probably the worst team we played all season besides the Jags, despite what their record says.

The sky is falling? Why are you inventing reasons to be disappointed in the Bills? I don't think you have to work so hard to worry . . .

There will be 4 or more QBs taken before Ponder next Spring . . .

I'm expecting to be disappointed. Personally, I don't think Ralph has it in him to pay a #1 overall pick if they get it. He will trade down or something to avoid a real hefty contract. Hope I'm wrong.

What are these statement? If he's graded as a 3rd or 4th round prospect they're not going to take him in the 1st round.

That scenario only exists in your sick mind so don't worry bout it. Fun watching ponder and the crimi'noles choke that game away to nc state.

Ponder looks like he's crying : )

The Semenholes certainly pissed that game away.

Edited by October 1918

I'm expecting to be disappointed. Personally, I don't think Ralph has it in him to pay a #1 overall pick if they get it. He will trade down or something to avoid a real hefty contract. Hope I'm wrong.

Where do people get this stuff from? No offense but it's a piece of crap. Please tell me one time the Bills traded out of a draft slot to not pay a player a high salary? OJ Simpson was the #1 pick and became the highest paid player in the NFL. Jim Kelly became the highest paid player after he signed. We traded for Bledsoe, who was once the highest paid player in the league. Spikes was the highest paid LB in the NFL after he got his deal. The 90s Bills probably had one of the highest payrolls ever. Lee Evans makes $9 million a year. He was prepared to Jason Peters $10 million a year (thankfully they didn't).

Ralph has his faults but saying he is cheap with player contracts is a complete crock.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I like Ponder, and think he could be a real steal if drafted in the late first or early second. But I don't want to see the Bills use a top-5 pick on him. I also have to admit Fitzpatrick is playing much better football than I thought he could. I'm not saying he's necessarily the long-term answer at QB, but I'm not as quick to rule out the possibility as I'd been a few weeks ago.

If Ponder was to fall to the Bills in the second round, they could always snap him up there. If Fitzpatrick is the answer, Ponder could become their backup--their Frank Reich. If Fitzpatrick fails to become the answer, Ponder might become the next Drew Brees. That is, a quarterback taken in the early second round, primarily for his skill as a pocket passer, who goes on to have a good career. By no means am I promising that Ponder will have a Brees-like career. It's a distinct possibility, not a certainty.

The other option would be to pass up Ponder even in the second round, and to use that pick on a RT or on the defensive front seven. That option would make the most sense if the Bills liked Fitzpatrick as a starter and Brohm as a backup; or if they felt they could get a better football player than Ponder with that second round pick. There's also the distinct, strong possibility Ponder will be taken in the first round. Which is probably where he belongs.

The Bills will do one of the following:

1 - Take Andrew Luck (if he declares and he's their #1 QB, don't think he'll come out though)

2 - Take Ryan Mallett if he's their guy.

3 - Take the best defender that plays in the front 7 (Robert Quinn, the DE from Ohio St., Dequan Bowers, etc.)

4 - Trade down and take Mallett or best front 7 defender.

A few weeks ago I would have said 90% Luck stays in school, but the momentum and talk around Luck's draft status seems to be turning. I think his finish to the season will have a big part in his decision. If he lights it up and finishes with a big bowl game, he may have to come out, especially if it looks like he's the clear cut #1 guy.

On a sidenote:

I know Buddy Nix puts a huge emphasis on players that have excelled for 3-4 years in college, which may knock Luck and Robert Quinn a bit down on Bills boards. Luck obviously will be finishing up his redshirt sophomore season and only has 2 years experience, and Quinn is a Jr. who won't be playing at all this season due to suspension. They're both very talented, but knowing Nix's philosphy perhaps neither is the Bills pick.

Don't forget Nix had his hand in the selection of Phillip Rivers, and he emphasized that they loved Rivers because he did it for 4 years.....competed in 4 bowl games, and was the player of the game in all of his bowl games. I definitely think the Bills will be looking for players that have been very productive college players for 3+ years with their high pick.

anyone know much about the QB from Auburn?..guy at work asked me if I thought the Bills might take him..say's the guy is big and runs through LB's like they aren't there..says he reminds him of Jim Kelly...any thoughts?...I assume he'd be a later round QB pick though...honestly I'm not even sure if he's coming out this draft.

ok..found this:

Cameron Newton, Auburn

Height: 6-6. Weight: 246.

Projected 40 Time: 4.77.

Projected Round (2012): 4-5.

7/25/10: Cameron Newton has great size and athleticism to be a very effective collegiate quarterback, but like Dan LeFevour, will be downgraded for playing in a gimmick offense.

walterfootball.com

guess he's a JR. , but I'm pretty sure I saw him on either Mayock's or kiper's top 5 qb's for 2011 draft...but then again one of them had this guy on their list as well:

Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.

Projected 40 Time: 4.71.

Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

7/25/10: Blaine Gabbert threw for 3,593 yards, 24 touchdowns and nine interceptions as a sophomore. He has great size and a nice arm, but mediocre accuracy (58.9% completions) and questionable workout regimen (to put it nicely). The lack of pro-style offense experience will also hurt him, but the upside is there to warrant a Day 2 pick.

btw..I never listen to what Kiper has to say...never liked the guy :thumbdown:

Edited by Tsaikotic

seems maybe Buffalo might want to wait till 2012 draft to get a QB...looks like the top QB's are the guys that might leave college a year early...if none of them leave early that leaves these guys for 2012 draft:

Andrew Luck, Stanford

Cam Newton, Auburn

Ryan Mallet, Arkansas

Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

and only Locker and Ponder for 2011 draft

No, even the Bills would not take Ponder with the first. Maybe in the 3rd...