Adrian Clayborn, DE Iowa - highlights

Got_Wood

I really like the clanking metal sounds he makes when he gets a sack!

I like that Iowa defense and I like that he is the Captain of that defense.

We need a Defense leader.

He is 6'3" 282. Is that good size for a 3-4 DE?

Ngata is 6-4 350 but he is a freak of nature.

Aaron Smith is 6-5 298.

Richard Seymour is 6-6 310, I think he has played DE in a 3-4, and 4-3.

Clayborn is projected as top 15 talent and top D-Line player.

So if somehow we rip off 4, (yeah right) it might not be so bad for drafting, because Clayborn should be there 7-12 range.

Marcell Dareus is another guy on that 'Bama defense that could be 1st round talent on the D-Line.

If Fitzy can keep this up, drafting the best Front 7 defensive player in 2010 makes a lot of sense.

Yes, he is IronHead Heyward Jr. (RIP Ironhead) Guy has a sick motor.

I don't if he is being projected as a Top3 pick, but again if we rip off a couple wins, we'll have some good options for the Front 7.

Even if we don't taking 1 of these guys looks like a good pick, but you'll be paying them a ton of money in the Top3.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

youtube.com/watch?v=inKtdfodCak

this guy is better. Cameron Heyward.

That video doesn't make him look great. But I know he's a good player. There's just something about the way Clayborn plays that makes me really like his game. He's tough, he's big, he hits hard, and he's a leader on that defense. Good combination.

I think Marcell Dareus is a better 3-4 DE than either of those 2.

Ask Dexter McCluster what he thinks of Marcell Dareus:

youtube.com/watch?v=L-99CuEwY2A

I like Dareus a lot too. Between Dareus and Clayborn, I'd be happy either way.

If Luck does not come out and declare for the draft, we NEED a defensive stud like this with our top pick. Having a guy that can disrupt the backfield is going to make all levels of our defense so much better.

The good news, is you can argue which one of these guys is better, maybi one of them is better than the others but non of them look like busts.

I have been paying close attention to Clayborn since I saw a quick feature on him during College Gameday a few weeks ago (best show on TV).

This guy is a special player IMO and one of those guys I can only picture playing on a defense like Pittsburgh or Baltimore. He has a high motor, but he is also strong and talented. Offenses seem like they are really trying to gameplan around the guy. Even when he isnt making a tackle or hurry, he still blows up half the line. I also like how he has an attitude out on the field.

I have been paying close attention to Clayborn since I saw a quick feature on him during College Gameday a few weeks ago (best show on TV).

This guy is a special player IMO and one of those guys I can only picture playing on a defense like Pittsburgh or Baltimore. He has a high motor, but he is also strong and talented. Offenses seem like they are really trying to gameplan around the guy. Even when he isnt making a tackle or hurry, he still blows up half the line. I also like how he has an attitude out on the field.

Precisely. The guy's motor NEVER stops. He has very good pass rushing moves and he's still disruptive even though he's being doubled and tripled teamed this season. He's just the kind of hard hitting type of guy that this team needs.

Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi easily handled Heyward and Clayborn in back-to-back games the last 2 weeks, and gets to go against Purdue "Superman' Ryan Kerrigan next game (Nov. 6th). Unless one of these DEs is the next Bruce Smith, I'm not sure we can write off the need for a premier LT. (Nothing against Demetrius Bell and the great progress he's made - just seems that an abundance of outstanding o-line talent and depth is a a good thing. JMO.)

That video doesn't make him look great. But I know he's a good player. There's just something about the way Clayborn plays that makes me really like his game. He's tough, he's big, he hits hard, and he's a leader on that defense. Good combination.

Its one game Hayward's games against to Clayborns best highlights. Clayborn's highlights should look better then Heyward's one game.

Edited by b stein 22

I would be so happy if we went with a stud Dlineman for our first pick....and then go front 7 and maybe one OT with the rest of our picks. I'm really liking our skill positions, and the secondary will get back to form once we fix the front 7.

If Luck does not come out and declare for the draft, we NEED a defensive stud like this with our top pick. Having a guy that can disrupt the backfield is going to make all levels of our defense so much better.

We fix the D in the draft, and keep up our offensive production, we make the playoffs next year. I can't think of a team that's scoring as many points as we are (against good D's) that wouldn't make hte playoffs with a solid (not even great) D.

I've heard the same knock on both Clayborn and Heyward in various pre-draft analysis reports, which is that they don't seem to have pass rushing skills that will translate to NFL success. I don't know that I agree (and I do like them both but I prefer Heyward) but it seems to be a fairly common assessment--- and where there's smoke there's fire.

But, like The Senatorial One, I really do like Gabe Carimi, and he absolutely handled both Clayborn and Heyward. It's possible there are more answers on the current roster for the offensive line than there are for the front seven, however, and both of these dudes are worth following.

But damn, I forget Ironhead, Sr. had passed on... he was one of my favorite non-Bills :(

A lot of you seem to be forgetting that if we continue with the shift to the 3-4, you really don't rely on DEs to pressure the QB. Grab a QB in round 1, and you can always get good pass rushing OLBs in rounds 2-3.