Halloween

dib

I was debating on replying to this. I am not one of those who really enjoy horror movies - they're not that entertaining to me. Texas Chainsaw masacre, the new one, is relevant to my interest because it was a dang good date. I wish I could tell you some details, but this isn't the place. I'll just say that the 30 minute drive back from BG was full of memories, and to remind people that neighbors do not like you parking in their driveways in the middle of their night.

However, back to the question, my favorite Halloween type of movie is Gremlins. That is just such a fun movie.

A bit OT but Christopher Lee was considered for the role of Dr. Rumack in "Airplane". :blink:

Also more trivia...Christopher Lee was the only actor in the Lord of the Rings movies to read all of the Tolkien books. He re-reads them every year.

Any Hammer films from the 60's.

Good choice.

As for modern horror movies, the original Halloween is the only movie that ever made me jump out of my sit a bit while at the movies. The remakes, of course, suck balls.

One of my favorite bizarre B-movie horror flicks is Brain Damage. A must see!

Another good one, from the 50's, is Brainiac.

Edited by The Dean

However, back to the question, my favorite Halloween type of movie is Gremlins. That is just such a fun movie.

I always thought of "Gremlins" as more of a Christmas movie, if only for the following:

Kate: Now I have another reason to hate Christmas.

Billy Peltzer: What are you talking about?

Kate: The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

It was the "feel good story" of my youth. ;)

I love the old horror movies, there was a certain style to them back then, even if some of the acting is over-the-top or laughable.

I always try to watch the Lugosi "Dracula" & Karloff's "Frankenstein", and I love the Val Lewton thrillers: "Cat People", "The Body Snatcher", "The Leopard Man" & "I Walked With A Zombie".

Let's not forget the silent classics like "Nosferatu" or "The Phantom of the Opera".

One movie that I love to watch this time of year is "The Old Dark House" from 1932. This movie was directed by James Whale, and made after Frankenstein, and is definitely one of the more obscure thrillers he directed. The movie stars Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton(in his first american movie), Gloria Stuart, Raymond Massey, Ernest Thesiger, Eva Moore & Lillian Bond.

If you are a fan of the Universal Monsters, then you will love this movie. It has that great sense of mood from those films, and is surprisingly quite funny as well.

The movie that, sadly, killed Tod Browning's career.

Edited by MarkVaderr50

We try to watch a different movie every year. House of 1000 Corpses was pretty good. This year we're going to watch this french indie flick called "Inside" that's supposed to be really scary and gruesome.

I can confirm that the movie "Inside" was VERY gruesome. Blood everywhere. And except for one scene near the end, it was pretty believable as far as these things go.

There were some REALLY disturbing scenes too. If you like creepy/gross horror movies, you'll love this one. I'll never look at a pair of scissors the same way again... :sick:

(make sure you're looking at the FRENCH horror movie; there's another flick called Inside with some guy in a coffin, but it's not the same thing).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_le_interieur/

I always thought of "Gremlins" as more of a Christmas movie, if only for the following:

It was the "feel good story" of my youth. ;)

Gremlins is as much a Christmas movie as Die Hard is. They shouldn't be associated with any other day of the year.