Maybin and George Edwards

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought you were going to make a slightly different point. The fact that Edwards has shown us nothing makes me question the decision to bench Maybin, and his ability to evaluate talent in general. Maybin has performed like garbage, but he is super fast. Edwards should be able to at least stick him in the games, move him around, bring him as a situational blitzer, etc. in order to put him in the best position to rush the passer.

Why are you blaming Edwards for Maybin's problems. Don't you think Edwards would love it if Maybin produced? Maybe the reason Edwards has "shown us nothing" is because Nix and company were relying on Maybin to step up. Chan does not appear to be very happy with Maybin either.

So why should Edwards play him? Jauron drafted Maybin and he didn't play him either. Maybin has been horrible in all facets of the game, even special teams.

Why are you blaming Edwards for Maybin's problems. Don't you think Edwards would love it if Maybin produced? Maybe the reason Edwards has "shown us nothing" is because Nix and company were relying on Maybin to step up. Chan does not appear to be very happy with Maybin either.

So why should Edwards play him? Jauron drafted Maybin and he didn't play him either. Maybin has been horrible in all facets of the game, even special teams.

I don't disagree with you. I guess my original point was I would hope a good def coordinator could figure out a way to use Maybin, who we can all agree is athletically gifted.

I don't disagree with you. I guess my original point was I would hope a good def coordinator could figure out a way to use Maybin, who we can all agree is athletically gifted.

He should dress up as Santa then and spread his gifts around. He's done nothing to earn a spot on the active squad. Nothing.

Maybe figure skating is his thing. NFL football certainly isn't.

Maybe, just ,maybe Edwards is wrong with Maybin like Chan was with Fitz and others like Cornwell at RT early this year? Maybe Edwards is as wrong with Maybin as everyone but sees with Kelsaycan't?

Exactly. I don't trust the judgment of anyone who is the coordinator of the worst defense in the NFL and has Chris Kelsay running 30 yards downfield in pass coverage.

Could it be possible that Aaron Maybin's failure to improve in his 2nd year could be attributed partly to the fact that George Edwards is an awful defensive coordinator?

Edwards is clueless as a DC, nobody can deny that. Maybin doesn't need a better coach however, he needs Rusty Jones to spend about 6 months teaching him how to add muscle mass to his pathatically skinny and weak frame!

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought you were going to make a slightly different point. The fact that Edwards has shown us nothing makes me question the decision to bench Maybin, and his ability to evaluate talent in general. Maybin has performed like garbage, but he is super fast. Edwards should be able to at least stick him in the games, move him around, bring him as a situational blitzer, etc. in order to put him in the best position to rush the passer.

The fact that MayBE cannot even have an impact on Special Teams to me is proof that this has nothing to do with coaching ... it's all about Aaron's not being ready for prime time!

Most draft picks that are not instant starters make the team by showing they have the drive to make a splash on special teams. This is true whether a player is a wide receiver, corner back or defensive lineman. If MayBE had the football smarts and drive to be an NFL player he'd be begging the coaches to put him in at Special Teams and then he'd take advantage of that to showcase what he could do. Moats is a prime example of a rookie using his drive on Special Teams to move right up into the starting line-up (he still has a lot to learn but at least he is learning on the field and may end up being a decent LB for the Bills).

As for Edwards coaching ... haven't seen blitz packages; have seen players in positions they have never played before; and have seen the same huge holes for opposition running backs to stroll through. Plus we have seen the same "star" players, eg Poz and Whitner, always chasing down players rather than making the big hits to stop them in their tracks. I really wonder what's up in the secondary where the coach didn't change and neither did the personnel.

Obviously, it's because he's working with the same personnel that played under Perry Fewell last season, except for Schobel (and he's not worth the massive drop off in performance), and the defense has been horrible. In fact they used 2 of their first 3 draft picks on defensive players. Putting your players in a position to be successful and adopting schemes to get the most out of them is the definition of good coaching. Playing defenses that you don't have the players to execute or asking players to play positions that they can't (see Kelsay) is bad coaching. What's even scarier is that he's tried to go back to something similar to what the Bills had last season and the performance is still awful. That's doesn't speak well for his ability to make good adjustments or game plan.

He still has the rest of the season to show something but he's not looking too good so far. I'm actually curious to see what Gailey does if the performance doesn't improve. It's one thing for a coach to can players that he didn't draft and has no commitment to, but another to can his hand selected DC after one season.

Wade Phillips anyone? (assuming he gets released after this year)

Edwards is clueless as a DC, nobody can deny that. Maybin doesn't need a better coach however, he needs Rusty Jones to spend about 6 months teaching him how to add muscle mass to his pathatically skinny and weak frame!

Remember that Covington guy we drafted that was like a 6'2 inch 205 lb linebackewr and in 2 years he put on 35-40 lbs of mscle and became super. Maybin should find a good source of anablolic steroids/HGH and mask it until next r training camp. I can see him at 6'4 265 in one good winter's work with roids like the old days. Now he looks like 235 lbs at best. Maybing before/after would be needs some help to get to a good after....