Joe Paterno has a solution to violent hits...

papazoid

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the NFL, it doesn't matter. There will not be any meaningful change because we're all paying to see something as close to a fight to the death as possible. The game needs to change substantially for kids as of yesterday.

To me the solution is simple and it stands for every sport: If you injure a guy and it is deemed a wrongful hit, you are suspended as long as the injured guy can't play. Pominville out 2 weeks, Hjalmersson out 2 weeks. Todd Heap out 4 weeks, Brandon Merriweather out 4 weeks.

Anyone who thinks the NFL was about "clean tackling" and not vicious hits in the 1950s/1960s is living in fantasy land. The era of the clothesline and the headslap was brutal. Christ, the reason we know so much now about the effects of concussions is because of the human wreckage that football from that era created. Moreover, players are a lot better now than they were then.

Another thing: taking away facemasks is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. Sometimes I really think that some people secretly want to see someone die on the field.

And all of those "brutal techniques" have been subsequently banned and are penalized.

Herm Edwards was on an ESPN show last night called "Audibles" and he echoed exactly what I've said, the problem is players dropping their face and launching themselves as players. He also said that NO coach has ever taught that technique and it's something players on the field started in order to make highlight reels. You MUST MUST be able to see what you are tackling.

Simply make and enforce a rule that outlaws any tackle or hit where a player drops their head and leads with the crown of the helmet. The league also needs to get at coaches (especially LB and DB coaches) and have them enforce proper tackling technique. The defensive players who drop their faces are putting themselves at serious risk as well. It's a small change that will save lives and prevent injuries.

The key point in all this is that NFL players are aiming for the upper collar bone/head in their technique. That is what needs to change, whether you alter/remove the helmet or not. Even if these players wanted to do the "missile launch" tackle if they altered their angle so that they were aiming for the mid-chest things would be better. I think they'd have a better chance of dislodging the ball, too. But I agree with others that only removing the face mask would make things worse.

The key point in all this is that NFL players are aiming for the upper collar bone/head in their technique. That is what needs to change, whether you alter/remove the helmet or not. Even if these players wanted to do the "missile launch" tackle if they altered their angle so that they were aiming for the mid-chest things would be better. I think they'd have a better chance of dislodging the ball, too. But I agree with others that only removing the face mask would make things worse.

If they continue to use the "Head down, Human Missile" technique and hit a player in the chest, most likely the defensive player will end up paralyzed. It's exactly what happened to Kevin Everett. He accidentally went into a player with his face down.

It's dangerous, improper technique no matter where you hit people. Keep your head up.

If they continue to use the "Head down, Human Missile" technique and hit a player in the chest, most likely the defensive player will end up paralyzed. It's exactly what happened to Kevin Everett. He accidentally went into a player with his face down.

It's dangerous, improper technique no matter where you hit people. Keep your head up.

And you hear the quotes from the random idiot saying that they're willing to take the risk associated with playing that way. I wonder what Everett has to say about that.

there were zero flags for illegal hits yesterday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5725918

Looks like the warning did it's job because there were a lot fewer "human missiles" out there yesterday. It was funny watching professional DBs trying to figure out how to actually tackle again.

Also funny, I watched the LSU/Auburn game and the Auburn CBs lit up a couple receivers in the beginning. But they used proper technique, tackled the body, wrapped and drove with the legs, and they were JUST AS effective and were STILL monster hits... AND NO ONE GOT INJURED!