Jaguars Blueprint for Success

akm0404

The Jaguars really know how to rebuild.

First start off spending multiple high draft picks on offensive linemen (Monroe, Britton) to solidify your offensive line because you have great running backs but a terrible joke quarterback.

Then, still fail at successfully running the ball because you have zero passing threat with your awful qb.

Then, bring in a veteran qb to play behind your now dominant line.

Watch team continue to fail without a franchise qb. Hope you can rebuild to 7-9 with zero chance of winning a championship.

For bonus points note how they spent a ton of picks on pass rushing defensive linemen before they shored up the offensive line.

Yah. Let's not draft a quarterback or else we might be in danger of building a better franchise than Buffalo South.

Edited by akm0404

First start off spending multiple high draft picks on offensive linemen (Monroe, Britton) to solidify your offensive line because you have great running backs but a terrible joke quarterback.

Then, still fail at successfully running the ball because you have zero passing threat with your awful qb.

Watch team continue to fail without a franchise qb. Hope you can rebuild to 7-9 with zero chance of winning a championship.

For bonus points note how they spent a ton of picks on pass rushing defensive linemen before they shored up the offensive line.

Yah. Let's not draft a quarterback or else we might be in danger of building a better franchise than Buffalo South.

excellent!:thumbsup:

I'd rather have the Jaguars roster than ours.

Maybe so, but realize that you'd just be trading one bad roster for one guaranteed for, at best, mediocrity.

No QB = No playoffs.

The Bills need a new catch phrase:

"Draft the line for seven and nine!"

I'm not suggesting that the Bills shouldn't draft a QB, but let's be realistic about the Jags. They've made the playoffs two times in the past five years, and in 2007 their awful QB had 102.2 rating with an incredible 18-3 TD/INT ratio. And he completed 64 percent of his passes. His lifetime QB rating is 84.9, and 84.7 this year. If only are QBs were so awful. They're a decent team this year too. Whether that gets them to 10-6, neither you nor I know, but they can hardly be compared to the Bills.

I'm not suggesting that the Bills shouldn't draft a QB, but let's be realistic about the Jags. They've made the playoffs two times in the past five years, and in 2007 their awful QB had 102.2 rating with an incredible 18-3 TD/INT ratio. And he completed 64 percent of his passes. His lifetime QB rating is 84.9, and 84.7 this year. If only are QBs were so awful. They're a decent team this year too. Whether that gets them to 10-6, neither you nor I know, but they can hardly be compared to the Bills.

Good reply. I give you a consistent gold star for always bringing some stats to the table.

I know you aren't arguing against this, but just imagine how good they could have been with a real, franchise-caliber quarterback instead of Gerrard. Instead of an 8.5 win a year team, they might have contended for a championship or two.

Good reply. I give you a consistent gold star for always bringing some stats to the table.

I know you aren't arguing against this, but just imagine how good they could have been with a real, franchise-caliber quarterback instead of Gerrard. Instead of an 8.5 win a year team, they might have contended for a championship or two.

No doubt. Those guys are hard to find, however.

Ain't that the truth.

That's why I advocate swinging the bat every chance you get until you fluke it one time.

Yeah, but you run the risk of being the 90s Cincinnati Bengals. David Klingler, Akili Smith... But then again they got Boomer Esiasin and Carson Palmer on either side, unfortunately that's a span of 1984 to 2003 between good QB drafts. That left them 1991-2004 with no winning seasons and SEVEN seasons with 4-12 or worse!

I like the approach. The Jets have done the EXACT SAME THING just way better.

-Draft studs on the OL and DL.

-Resign your talented veterans.

-Actively pursue Studs and quality in FA like B. Scott, C. Pace, LT, and J. Leonard

-Make painfully obvious trades that should be made like a 5th for a superstar WR and 3rd for very very good CB

-Trade up in the draft to get the guy you want and need.

-Play awesome smash mouth defense

-Run the ball down other teams throat

-Make AFC Championship game with a rookie QB who stunk it up as a rookie

-Be atop the NFL in QBs Sophomore season, where QB is playing lights out.

Same model, different execution.

PS: Meanwhile, there is a PB QB and PB OLman that Im sure are available for trade in Vick and Mankins – all we have to do is pony up. Yet its 90 minutes form 4 oclock and I doubt the Bills make the painfully obvious moves that would immediately improve this team. Both players could be mainstays for the next 4-5 years (and likely even longer for Mankins) and we could obtain both while keeping out likely to be top 5 pick. I’m waiting for a sign of life Nix….

Thoner, you make a good point, but have a huge misrepresentation. The Jets went for the high profile QB in the draft, who happened to stink up the season and get hot in the postseason, which means they are an argument for drafting the QB to become a winner....

I like the approach. The Jets have done the EXACT SAME THING just way better.

-Draft studs on the OL and DL.

-Resign your talented veterans.

-Actively pursue Studs and quality in FA like B. Scott, C. Pace, LT, and J. Leonard

-Make painfully obvious trades that should be made like a 5th for a superstar WR and 3rd for very very good CB

-Trade up in the draft to get the guy you want and need.

-Play awesome smash mouth defense

-Run the ball down other teams throat

-Make AFC Championship game with a rookie QB who stunk it up as a rookie

-Be atop the NFL in QBs Sophomore season, where QB is playing lights out.

Same model, different execution.

PS: Meanwhile, there is a PB QB and PB OLman that Im sure are available for trade in Vick and Mankins – all we have to do is pony up. Yet its 90 minutes form 4 oclock and I doubt the Bills make the painfully obvious moves that would immediately improve this team. Both players could be mainstays for the next 4-5 years (and likely even longer for Mankins) and we could obtain both while keeping out likely to be top 5 pick. I’m waiting for a sign of life Nix….

Thoner, you make a good point, but have a huge misrepresentation. The Jets went for the high profile QB in the draft, who happened to stink up the season and get hot in the postseason, which means they are an argument for drafting the QB to become a winner....

Exactly, but who is to say the Jags dont come away with a rookie QB in the 2011 draft and make it to the AFC Championship game next season because they have a competant roster around said rookie QB? (the same way the Jets did for 4ish years before drafting Sanchize) Maybe they "didnt like any of the QBs available" and in the meantine have been building their lines and rosters properly.

Meanwhile, the Bills have been drafting/playing/running out of town or not resigning RBs and DBs for the past 10 years. So when we end up getting our Franchise QB, we will have ZERO TALENT OF ANY KIND AROUND HIM on offense and THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. So whats our excuse, we didnt have a superstar QB so we didnt bother having competant players to take up the other 52 roster spots?

Everyone loves picking out this years Rams and saying "look what Bradford has done!" Well yea he has been a major factor, but its no coincidence that they drafted 2 top Ts, spent big bucks on a top tier C in free agency, have one of the leagues best RBs, a couple top picks on the DL, and a great defensive HC. Now that they added the QB they are winning, but without those other parts they would still be loosing with Bradford in there.

PS: I am all for taking a QB this year even while the rest of our team sucks. I actually think thats a good thing to do bc the QB can learn and develope over the 3 year rebuilding phase. The problem I have is Luck is staying in school and I am a little worried with Mallet. That said I dont see a Suh, Joe Thomas, Orakpo, or C Johnson, (ie obvious stud) in this draft at any position, let alone OL DL LB. That leaves me being totally ok with risking the #1 overall on Mallet even though I am pretty certain he doesnt have the accuracy to succeeed in the NFL like we would like him to. AKA I am so desperate for a QB I would draft Mallet who I think is gonna end up like Losman because of the small chance he may actually be good.

Exactly, but who is to say the Jags dont come away with a rookie QB in the 2011 draft and make it to the AFC Championship game next season because they have a competant roster around said rookie QB? (the same way the Jets did for 4ish years before drafting Sanchize) Maybe they "didnt like any of the QBs available" and in the meantine have been building their lines and rosters properly.

Meanwhile, the Bills have been drafting/playing/running out of town or not resigning RBs and DBs for the past 10 years. So when we end up getting our Franchise QB, we will have ZERO TALENT OF ANY KIND AROUND HIM on offense and THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. So whats our excuse, we didnt have a superstar QB so we didnt bother having competant players to take up the other 52 roster spots?

Everyone loves picking out this years Rams and saying "look what Bradford has done!" Well yea he has been a major factor, but its no coincidence that they drafted 2 top Ts, spent big bucks on a top tier C in free agency, have one of the leagues best RBs, a couple top picks on the DL, and a great defensive HC. Now that they added the QB they are winning, but without those other parts they would still be loosing with Bradford in there.

PS: I am all for taking a QB this year even while the rest of our team sucks. I actually think thats a good thing to do bc the QB can learn and develope over the 3 year rebuilding phase. The problem I have is Luck is staying in school and I am a little worried with Mallet. That said I dont see a Suh, Joe Thomas, Orakpo, or C Johnson, (ie obvious stud) in this draft at any position, let alone OL DL LB. That leaves me being totally ok with risking the #1 overall on Mallet even though I am pretty certain he doesnt have the accuracy to succeeed in the NFL like we would like him to. AKA I am so desperate for a QB I would draft Mallet who I think is gonna end up like Losman because of the small chance he may actually be good.

The problem with taking Mallet this year is that if the Bills do that, they won't take Luck next year even if he's available. No one is going to use back-to-back first round picks on QBs unless there's a change in the front office--and usually not even then. If there isn't a quarterback the Bills feel comfortable with, they should draft some other position.

But it's not like Mallet is the only other quarterback out there. National Scouting Service--used by almost two dozen NFL teams--rated Ponder and Locker as the two best QBs for the 2011 draft. National doesn't rate underclassmen, so Luck and Mallet weren't included. Click here for the 25 best seniors as determined by National. It's felt that Locker's high rating is due to his physical attributes, whereas Ponder is the more NFL-ready. Recall that back in the late '90s, Peyton Manning was described as more "NFL-ready" than Ryan Leaf, but that Leaf had the better physical traits. I'm not saying this is another Manning/Leaf situation--but I do think that proving yourself as a pocket passer at the college level is more important than arm strength or other physical attributes.

Suppose the Bills would feel comfortable with Ponder, but would prefer Luck. Should they draft Ponder in 2011, or should they draft a non-QB while waiting for 2012 for Luck to come out? Part of the answer to that depends on whether there will be a 2011 season. If not, and if the Bills get the first overall pick in 2011, I think there'd be no way for this team to avoid getting Luck if that's the player they most want. If there is a 2011 season, the Bills would have to think about whether to deliberately tank the season in order to get Luck. If they're not willing to do that, and if they think they will improve their record from this season, they should probably take Ponder in this year's draft. Especially if there's a chance to trade down a little and still get him.

right answer

No doubt. Those guys are hard to find, however.

No doubt. It's also hard to win a Super Bowl. Some franchises never have. But usually they do it with a top shelf QB (especially if the teams that are contenders for long stretches. Here's what happens, they find an elite QB and they are contenders for a decade. Then said QB retires and they muck about until they find another one. Some teams take longer to get one than others, but they all know that they need one. Look at the 49er's. So lucky to have Montana then Young, but prior to Montana, and after Young? Nowhere. And it's not because of who is playing left tackle, it's because they haven't had a good enough QB.

I'm confident that if a QB with top shelf potential is there, the Bills will pick him, regardless of what the fools on this board may want them to do.

The problem with taking Mallet this year is that if the Bills do that, they won't take Luck next year even if he's available. No one is going to use back-to-back first round picks on QBs unless there's a change in the front office--and usually not even then. If there isn't a quarterback the Bills feel comfortable with, they should draft some other position.

But it's not like Mallet is the only other quarterback out there. National Scouting Service--used by almost two dozen NFL teams--rated Ponder and Locker as the two best QBs for the 2011 draft. National doesn't rate underclassmen, so Luck and Mallet weren't included. Click here for the 25 best seniors as determined by National. It's felt that Locker's high rating is due to his physical attributes, whereas Ponder is the more NFL-ready. Recall that back in the late '90s, Peyton Manning was described as more "NFL-ready" than Ryan Leaf, but that Leaf had the better physical traits. I'm not saying this is another Manning/Leaf situation--but I do think that proving yourself as a pocket passer at the college level is more important than arm strength or other physical attributes.

Suppose the Bills would feel comfortable with Ponder, but would prefer Luck. Should they draft Ponder in 2011, or should they draft a non-QB while waiting for 2012 for Luck to come out? Part of the answer to that depends on whether there will be a 2011 season. If not, and if the Bills get the first overall pick in 2011, I think there'd be no way for this team to avoid getting Luck if that's the player they most want. If there is a 2011 season, the Bills would have to think about whether to deliberately tank the season in order to get Luck. If they're not willing to do that, and if they think they will improve their record from this season, they should probably take Ponder in this year's draft. Especially if there's a chance to trade down a little and still get him.

I wouldnt bother with Locker or Ponder. Neither are very good at all. Mallet is iffy. Im all for holding out for Luck if you think we will have the top pick the next two years too.