Offense improving? Really?

Guest dog14787

Give Freddy 25 carries...EVERY GAME.

Then we'll see what this offense can really do.

I would have thought offensive genius Chan Gailey would have figured out a starting RB without a trade, distributed the ball to the water bug 9th overall pick, and not had an issue picking a QB. But 5 weeks in we're finally getting some answers! Maybe by Week 10 they'll have some more slants called to minimize the lack of pass protection.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought offensive genius Chan Gailey would have figured out a starting RB without a trade, distributed the ball to the water bug 9th overall pick, and not had an issue picking a QB. But 5 weeks in we're finally getting some answers! Maybe by Week 10 they'll have some more slants called to minimize the lack of pass protection.

Once chan signed the contract, he receieved the buffalo curse.... and made him do everything the opposite way.

You have to get to the redzone first which means sustained drives

1.3 points difference from last season which gets distorted playing catch up when your defense is giving up 32 points a game. One thing is relative to the other so the extra point is meaningless, but I'll give it to you though, you got me there Dan,

Everyone wants to lay it all on the defense, I say the offense can't sustain drives which is compounding the problem.

The offense "can't sustain drives" because the defense can't make a stop and they're constantly playing catch-up. They don't have a problem sustaining drives in the first half for the most part with the exception of drive killing penalties, which I would guess are down from last year too, so there's another possible area of improvement. Playing catch-up is harder on the offense, not easier. So how does the defense making their job harder improve their point totals, exactly?

edit: team penalties 6.7 per game in '09, 4.6 per game this year, making us the 5th least penalized team. I didn't find stats for offensive penalties only, but if the team as a whole is averaging two less per game, the offense is probably averaging one less per game.

Edited by Chandemonium

You have to get to the redzone first which means sustained drives

1.3 points difference from last season which gets distorted playing catch up when your defense is giving up 32 points a game. One thing is relative to the other so the extra point is meaningless, but I'll give it to you though, you got me there Dan,

Everyone wants to lay it all on the defense, I say the offense can't sustain drives which is compounding the problem.

Maybe, but it's still better than last year. Not sure what you're so strident about. Would anybody on this thread swap our offense (I guess coaches go with that) for last year's? I don't think so.

Guest dog14787

The offense "can't sustain drives" because the defense can't make a stop and they're constantly playing catch-up. They don't have a problem sustaining drives in the first half for the most part with the exception of drive killing penalties, which I would guess are down from last year too, so there's another possible area of improvement. Playing catch-up is harder on the offense, not easier. So how does the defense making their job harder improve their point totals, exactly?

Not sustaining drives can't be blamed on the defense,

I'm not going to defend the defense, just saying the offense can't sustain drives which if they could would keep the opponents defense on the field and the Bills defense resting, it works both ways.

Edited by dog14787

Comparing rankings after only five games is iffy, especially since the Bills are one of the five for each of the teams.

If you subtract the Edwards games, what are the ranking of the Packers and the Dolphins? What are the rankings of the Pats, Jags, and Jets without the Fitz games? I'd venture to guess that the Packers and Dolphins defenses are not rated quite as highly, and the Patriot and Jaguar defenses not quite so low (the Jets are probably about the same).

Gussie Fink-Nottle? How are the newts?

Guest dog14787

Maybe, but it's still better than last year. Not sure what you're so strident about. Would anybody on this thread swap our offense (I guess coaches go with that) for last year's? I don't think so.

DJ was a defensive minded coach so you have to swap tit for tat, swapping AVP for Gailey as OC is an up grade Green Lightning, I agree

dog your just not gonna sway the Trent haters / Fitz lovers....let the games speak for themselves.

Fitz has the Ravens up next, lets see how he performs against a top defense, the thing about Fitz is that at first he looks better because he takes more chances, then when those chances start to backfire the fans want him out... just like last year when he took over for Edwards.

Now that moronic Gailey is finally starting Fred Jackson he will have more success running the ball, that alone should help the offense immensely . The absence of Cornell Green should also improve by removing the revolving door penalty machine at RT, I gotta think anyone would be better at RT then Green.

I stated eariler in the preseason that this years offense will score more points, have better stats and yet fail to win games because that is EXACTLY how Gailey's offense at KC preformed under Tyler Thigpin.

Big Ben was recently asked how he felt to be starting again and he stated he didn't care if they won games throwing for 6 yards and scoring 6 points...as long as they won. Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing.

I'm not going to defend the defense, just saying the offense can't sustain drives which if they could would keep the opponents defense on the field and the Bills defense resting, it works both ways.

So not sustaining drives can't be blamed on the defense, but the defense sucking can be blamed on the offense? That's convenient for your argument, but doesn't make any sense and isn't true. The truth is both units help (or hinder) the other one, its not a one way street either way. From what I've seen this year the offense has been doing most of the helping and the defense most of the hindering, with the obvious exception of the Edwards games when both units were equally pathetic.

Guest dog14787

So not sustaining drives can't be blamed on the defense, but the defense sucking can be blamed on the offense? That's convenient for your argument, but doesn't make any sense and isn't true. The truth is both units help (or hinder) the other one, its not a one way street either way. From what I've seen this year the offense has been doing most of the helping and the defense most of the hindering, with the obvious exception of the Edwards games when both units were equally pathetic.

Stringing plays together to sustain a drive is a separate issue and I fail to see how the defense prevents the offense from doing so, if anything the offense should be well rested.

What exactly do you mean by sustaining drives? Do you mean TOP? Because despite a defense that can't get off the field, the offense has only a 2 minute difference from last year at TOP.... and that was with a defense that was a turnover machine. The offense sustains and finishes more drives this season than last year, or at the very least, breaks even. It isn't the offense's fault that the defense is stuck on the field. The TOP was basically the same last year and last year's defense didn't look anywhere near as bad.

Stringing plays together to sustain a drive is a separate issue and I fail to see how the defense prevents the offense from doing so, if anything the offense should be well rested.

I already explained how the defense can make it more difficult for the offense to sustain drives. When the offense is constantly playing from behind because the defense gets scores on every time they take the field, it puts more pressure on the offense to score as quickly as possible, which makes their job more difficult and forces them to alter their gameplan. How is that hard to understand? The offense sustains drives just fine until the defense puts them so far behind that they are forced to pass on every play in the second half to catch up. Case in point, time of possession was dead even at halftime of the Jacksonville game, but by the end the game Jacksonville led by a large margin. That's the result of a defense that can't get off the field (ZERO punts) forcing an offense to play catch up.

Guest dog14787

What exactly do you mean by sustaining drives? Do you mean TOP? Because despite a defense that can't get off the field, the offense has only a 2 minute difference from last year at TOP.... and that was with a defense that was a turnover machine. The offense sustains and finishes more drives this season than last year, or at the very least, breaks even. It isn't the offense's fault that the defense is stuck on the field. The TOP was basically the same last year and last year's defense didn't look anywhere near as bad.

The Bills TOP in the second half after the Jags made adjustments was approx 10 minutes to the Jaguars 20 minutes. Now If I'm not mistaken Chan Gailey was brought here to Buffalo to give us a better offense. Sure, that doesn't prevent our opponent from marching down the field and scoring, but what its supposed to do is help give us an offense that can duplicate the scoring drive.

The Jag's rank worse then the Bills do on defense, but yet they won the game.

Dog, I think there are good arguments on both sides. If the offense were sustaining more drives, the D wouldn't be playing tired. That would help, sure.

If you see a D stopping the other team then they sag at halftime, that's probably the factor. I don't see us stopping the other team at the start of the game.

Quite the contrary.

The strong teams give their offense the chance to play the chess game aspect of football. Our offense never gets the chance to develop progressions of plays

because if they go three and out, there's 7 on the board before they see the field again. So it's 25 minutes before something starts working, and by then they're playing from behind and get further behind every time they surrender the ball.

A young offense really needs the opportunity to get it wrong, in order to get it right. They also need to sustain drives to help the D stay fresh.

The D needs to get them the ball back, so they can get it right. Neither is happening.

*shrug* what I see.

Guest dog14787

Dog, I think there are good arguments on both sides. If the offense were sustaining more drives, the D wouldn't be playing tired. That would help, sure.

If you see a D stopping the other team then they sag at halftime, that's probably the factor. I don't see us stopping the other team at the start of the game.

Quite the contrary.

The strong teams give their offense the chance to play the chess game aspect of football. Our offense never gets the chance to develop progressions of plays

because if they go three and out, there's 7 on the board before they see the field again. So it's 25 minutes before something starts working, and by then they're playing from behind and get further behind every time they surrender the ball.

A young offense really needs the opportunity to get it wrong, in order to get it right. They also need to sustain drives to help the D stay fresh.

The D needs to get them the ball back, so they can get it right. Neither is happening.

*shrug* what I see.

One helps the other or can hurt the other, I agree,

It was good debating, Dan from Utica proved that the Bills have improved in some categories, such as points, TD's, and red zone efficiency, good job.

Keeping up the good fight as we sit here at 0-5 says a lot, Green Lightning and some of you other fellas,

says a lot...

Edited by dog14787

Not every measure,(at least not if measured in yardage) we ended up ranking 30th overall in total yardage last season, we rank 30th now and our average yardage totals have dropped by 24 yards. (251 this season, 275 last season's avg)

But in points per game, the Bills were 28th last year and now 26th. And that's overcoming the first 2 games of 10 and 7. Points per game is a very important stat for offenses.

Guest dog14787

But in points per game, the Bills were 28th last year and now 26th. And that's overcoming the first 2 games of 10 and 7. Points per game is a very important stat for offenses.

actually, points per game, TD's per game, and red zone efficiency has improved if everyone's info is accurate. Not to mention our biggest weapon from last season (TO) is now playing for the bungles,and the TE position was decimated before the season even started with Shaun Nelson just now returning to the lineup.

So I suppose in all fairness you could say Chan Gailey has done more with less, at least in some categories.

Note: Interesting question, If you had to take Gailey's current Bills and play them against DJ's Bills of last season, who wins? I believe DJ probably kicks Gailey's ass, hehehe

Edited by dog14787

Note: Interesting question, If you had to take Gailey's current Bills and play them against DJ's Bills of last season, who wins? I believe DJ probably kicks Gailey's ass, hehehe

Fitz would beat your buddy Trent 10 out of 10. Give up, fanboy. I see your whole agenda. Once the Bills cut Trent Edwards you are on the attack mode. There are a lot of reasons that this team is not winning, and Trent was one of them. Fitz does better, and will let other players show their talents. Please go be a Jacksonville fan.

Edited by ConradDobler

Guest dog14787

Fitz would beat your buddy Trent 10 out of 10. Give it up, fanboy. I see your whole agenda. Once the Bills cut Trent Edwards you are on the attack mode. There are a lot of reasons that this team is not winning, and Trent was one of them. Fitz does better, and will let other players show their talents. Please go be a Jacksonville fan.

DJ would kick Gailey's ass with the glove wearing Mary :w00t:

Whats even funnier is this whole thread/ discussion contains both QB's playing both seasons in comparison and you turn it into a Trent bashing thread :D (seriously, get some help)

Edited by dog14787

Guest dog14787

Fitz would beat your buddy Trent 10 out of 10. Give up, fanboy. I see your whole agenda. Once the Bills cut Trent Edwards you are on the attack mode. There are a lot of reasons that this team is not winning, and Trent was one of them. Fitz does better, and will let other players show their talents. Please go be a Jacksonville fan.

When I read this last night I was in a good mood, took it on the chin like I normally do, today not such a good mood. I see another very good poster harassed to the point of departure just recently, not only a good poster, but a writer who follows the Buffalo Bills with insider information from time to time willing to share it with us here on TSW.

The benching/releasing of Trent Edwards is a sore spot with me, I'll be the first to admit. So what gives you the right to harass me constantly because of it, just because I'm not turning you in for it doesn't make it right because I could be, popping up on the shoutbox and the first thing you do is make a snide comment about Trent Edwards in connection with me.Same thing here on a thread I start.

I was born in Buffalo, with Aunts, Uncles, Cousins all living in and around the Buffalo area. I will always be a die hard Bills fan, and just for you information I am following the Jaguars now, and not that its any of your business I have a daughter that lives in Jacksonville with hopes she might start following her City's football team in the future.

Seriously, you need to see a shrink, get some help...

Edited by dog14787