Will we make a play for Shawne Merriman?

Estro

The mantra on Merriman is damaged goods, buyer beware! He'll have to pass some really rigorous physicals, to even get a sniff, if you ask me. Another teams trash is another teams treasure! Watch out here, IMO!!

well our physicals must not be tough remember mccargo failed indy physical and we still have him on the roster :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question, probably not, but I think the Bills should make a play. This seems to be more about contract dispute than injury. Worth the risk in my opinion. Perhaps even worth a future conditional draft pick to keep him from being an unrestricted free agent. This would be complicated, but given their current linebacking corp, a big potential win.

As we are debating this, in case anyone forgets, this is our current depth chart at LB.

SLB Chris Kelsay

MLB Andra Davis Akin Ayodele

WLB Paul Posluszny Keith Ellison Arthur Moats

JLB Reggie Torbor Aaron Maybin Antonio Coleman

Since this list includes our starters it is awful, but could you imagine adding two real good LB's to this list, how incredible it would look. In my opinion there's some great depth there. It's just not a great starting grid, and void of high end talent. I know I'm stating the obvious, but if we make a couple moves this off season, this could quickly become a position of great strength.

Since this list includes our starters it is awful, but could you imagine adding two real good LB's to this list, how incredible it would look. In my opinion there's some great depth there. It's just not a great starting grid, and void of high end talent. I know I'm stating the obvious, but if we make a couple moves this off season, this could quickly become a position of great strength.

Those are all depth players, except maybe Poz if you stick 3 good LBs around him. That's it... I'd like Merriman but he doesn't do anything for us - he can't rush the QB anymore and his legs are shot. Right now he's like every other LB we've got.

Correct. He was a creation of modern chemistry. He is absolutely worthless now - which is why SD doesn't mind him being available.

One of the most ridiculous things in the NFL-hype machine was how no one in the media stopped singing his praises after he came off his 4-game suspension and continued to lead the league in sacks, etc. As if the effects of his cheating would wear off so fast. Even worse than Cushing still winning RoY over Byrd last season even after he was caught.

As soon as Merriman had a full-offseason away from the juice he degraded all the way to useless and hasn't budged since.

If you think he wasn't doing steroids all through college as well you are kidding yourself.

Without them he is not an NFL talent.

To me the most ridiculous part of the hype machine is the ESPN drones who still live in 2006 still think SD is some ultra-talented underachieving team without a healthy Merriman, Jamal Williams, and LT2. Every part of their team is very average at best save for Rivers to Gates.

Anyway yah, I want no part of a guy with 2 major knee surgeries.

To me the most ridiculous part of the hype machine is the ESPN drones who still live in 2006 still think SD is some ultra-talented underachieving team without a healthy Merriman, Jamal Williams, and LT2. Every part of their team is very average at best save for Rivers to Gates.

Anyway yah, I want no part of a guy with 2 major knee surgeries.

I wouldn't call M. McNeill, Hardwick, Dielman, M. Floyd, S. Philips, L. Castillo "average at best" Not to mention VJax when/if he ever comes back and plays for them. Somewhat over-hyped? Probably. Average talent, I wouldn't go that far.

Merriman had 29.5 sacks in 28 games after being suspended for steroid use, then he blew out his knee. Since the NFL doesn't test for HGH, he could still be on something. His knee, and other ailments, are the biggest problem. If he was healthy he'd be productive. Can't do a thing when you don't have your legs.

Finally a voice of reason. Everyone is so quick to blame steroids for a players declining performance when the real factor is injuries. Now could his past steroid use have played a factor in the injuries....possibly. However, with all the poor FA decisions the Bills have made over the years I don't see how you can be opposed to this move, especially considering it would fill a glaring need for a rush linebacker.

Not to mention, the only two 3-4 linebackers worth bringing in next offseason will be Lamarr Woodley and David Harris, and they probably won't even hit the free agent market.

I wouldn't call M. McNeill, Hardwick, Dielman, M. Floyd, S. Philips, L. Castillo "average at best" Not to mention VJax when/if he ever comes back and plays for them. Somewhat over-hyped? Probably. Average talent, I wouldn't go that far.

I mean, it's like you're listing names just to list names. Malcolm Floyd, really? The WR core stinks without Jackson - Rivers makes everything happen with their passing game. Philips & Castillo are good but that's 2 players on defense.

Merriman had 29.5 sacks in 28 games after being suspended for steroid use, then he blew out his knee. Since the NFL doesn't test for HGH, he could still be on something. His knee, and other ailments, are the biggest problem. If he was healthy he'd be productive. Can't do a thing when you don't have your legs.

A lot of those came in the same season he was suspended - he was still benefitting from the 'roids.