Could an O-line shift be in the works?

macaroni

Makes sense to move Wood to center - that's his natural postition, and he'll soon be snapping to Brohm again anyway...

After redshirting his initial year at Louisville, Wood started all 12 games at center for the Cardinals in 2005. He earned Freshman All-American honors by Rivals.com, Sporting News and College Football News. Also an excellent student, earned Academic All-Big East accolades as well. Wood remained Louisville's starting center in his sophomore and junior seasons, starting all 13 and 12 games, respectively. Led by quarterback Brian Brohm, the 2007 Cardinals offense ranked sixth nationally with an average of 488.0 yards per game. Wood earned All-Big East honors in both years, and again in his senior season. He finished his career with 49 consecutive starts at center, the second-longest streak in school history behind Travis Leffew (51, 2002-05).

Alongside Alex Mack, Wood was considered one of the best centers available in the 2009 NFL Draft. He has been compared to Brad Meester by The Sporting News, but his instincts and "nastiness" on the field had scouts comparing him to the NFL's old time centers like Mike Webster of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Kansas City Chiefs.

(from Wiki)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

id be willing to bet we'll see any and every Oline combination you can come up with, at some point in the season.

personally, id like to see what [bell-Levitre-Wood-Wang-Urbik] could do.

interesting post Senator, about Wood snapping for Brohm. hadnt put that together.

He really wasn't that good...even when he played. We were screwed by not having his replacement on the roster.

It's amazing how low the line quality has sunk that some have fond memories of Brad Butler. He was serviceable and all but he certainly weren't no Corbin Lacina! :bag:

I noticed on another site that Wang is now practicing full time ... what I found interesting is he is working exclusively at Guard. So this started me thinking (always a bad thing).

Chan reciently stated he didn't feel that the O-line had the horsepower or weight to succeed.

I know Wood played center in college ... didn't Lavitre play tackle(old age, I can't remember)???

I know Urbik has good size.

and Hangman can play all the interior positions(but seems to me to get pushed back into the pocket way too much) ...

I know Green stinks, and even though everybody on TBD seems to feel Bell is improving, I'm just not astute enough to tell (so I think he stinks too).

What I'm thinking we may see a line of Bell-Wang-Wood-Urbik-Levitre after the bye ...

What do you guys who actually know what you are talking about when discussing O-line play think???

(I'm not proposing this, or predicting it will happen, I guess I'm tired about beating a dead hourse about trades we've made or should have made)

Consistency is most important on the OL. Change for the sake of change is not good.

Why replace the entire middle three to play two guys, namely Wang and Urbik, who have exactly ZERO NFL experience? What have these two characters done to earn an NFL start?

The most interesting prospect so far is not Wang or Urbik but Cordero Howard who you fail to mention. He could end up pushing one of the the starting gaurds to the bench someday.

This lineup makes the most sense to me:

LT Bell

LG Levitre

C Wood

RG Howard

RT Urbik

It's a little too soon for Wang or Wrotto to start. Green needs to see the bench immediately and should probably be cut. Hangartner is yet another underachieving captain on this team (joining Evans, Stroud, Kelsay :sick: , and formerly Edwards).

I heard that Urbik was practicing at T. Maybe worng though, I know I have seen him in at RG for Wood on a few series.

Nix mentioned at that now-infamous Monday Morning QB meeting/lunch that Urbik played a bunch of games as an OT...

OL Urbik settling in

Though he is listed as the backup to right guard Eric Wood, Urbik, who played a full season of right tackle in college, stayed on the practice field a few minutes late Wednesday working on snaps at center.

Wiki describes him as

an American football offensive guard/tackle for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at Wisconsin.

As we know, Wisconsin is known to produce a decent offensive lineman from time to time. Now we need to focus on getting Gabe Carimi next April. B-)

This lineup makes the most sense to me:

LT Bell

LG Levitre

C Wood

RG Howard

RT Urbik

It's a little too soon for Wang or Wrotto to start. Green needs to see the bench immediately and should probably be cut. Hangartner is yet another underachieving captain on this team (joining Evans, Stroud, Kelsay :sick: , and formerly Edwards).

I bet Wood will move to center as soon as he can play every series--- he's still being spelled quite a bit each week. Plus, I don't know how many reps he's getting there in practice now, but he was getting quite a few during training camp.

Bell isn't serviceable at LT, Levitre and Wood aren't playing to the level at the round they were selected (for guards especially) and Hangartner is average at best.

I beg to differ. I think Bell is doing much better and still has a lot of upside compared to last year. And we get 90% of our running yards off the left side. I really hope our line looks like this in the near future. Bell, Lavitre, Wood, Urbik, Wang

RT is the only spot I see a probable change. Probably Urbik or Howard take Green's spot.

I also thought Wang may have been given a shot at RT too but I guess they want to start him off at G which I don't care for too much. I guess we'll see............

plenty of tackles start off their NFL career as guards...thats probably the case with wang

Why replace the entire middle three to play two guys, namely Wang and Urbik, who have exactly ZERO NFL experience? What have these two characters done to earn an NFL start?

It's called a youth movement you can only get experience by playing in a game

Guys, it is too soo for Wang to be starting. He was a fish out of water early on in camp. Seriously, form-wise, he looked worse in his stance and exploding out of it than some high school tackles I have seen this fall. He is a project in my opinion.

Regardless, making changes to a healthy OL in mid-season is indicative of a major issue. Remember moving Peters from RT to LT and inserting Pennington at RT during bye week 2006?

Bell isn't serviceable at LT, Levitre and Wood aren't playing to the level at the round they were selected (for guards especially) and Hangartner is average at best.

Urbik hasn't played OT since college (like Butler) and it's a shot in the dark to think he can handle the role in the NFL. They need serious help at OT on both sides. I think Hangartner eventually settles into the role he occupied in Carolina: principal interior OL backup.

Crazy talk, mostly.

Wood was drafted to be a center - he'll be one of the best, for a long long time, once he's eventually shifted there and reunited with Brian Brohm.

Bell is much further along, at this point in his career, as a LT than Jason Peters was at the same point in his own career - and right now may even be better than Peters is today...

Jason Peters Explains After Game That “Ain’t Nobody Perfect”

Eagles left tackle Jason Peters had a difficult game against the Washington Redskins, but he went into defense mode after the game when he was questioned by sports anchor/reporter Jamie Apody of Channel Six. Peters has struggled all season with holding and motion penalties, but he may have taken things to another level against the Redskins. The guy has become a “walking and talking” momentum killer.