What Happens when Ralph Wilson dies ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why not just do it now? You're talking out of your ass.

The fact is you don't know anything more than the rest of us. So everyone is talking out of their ass.

He doesn't move the team now because he just wants to live out his last days in peace.

If there is a plan in place to keep the team in Buffalo, why doesn't he just make it known? They are all fully aware of that fans are afraid the team will move, but OBD has done nothing to ease anyone's mind.

I buy into the concept that there is a plan. Many in the press have written how there's no plan mainly due ot RW not stating anything. I think there is a plan, Kelly talks like it involves him, but as part of the plan he's agreed to make very limited statements about it as long as RW is alive. If RW or his estate only cared about maximizing the sale price he could have sold or moved a long time ago. The difference betwen $800 vrs $600 million at that point doesn't matter that much any way.

The reason no one knows the plan is because the plan is to just move the team.

If he made that known, think of the outcry it would create. He would have a huge mess on his hands, and ticket sales would even further plummet.

Setting up a trust to manage the ownership of the team after death is Standard Operating Procedure.

Any additional language in the trust as to how the team gets sold (it's been widely reported that his family is not interested in running the team) is pure speculation.

The most common suspicion is that the team will go to the highest bidder. This is the way ALL items typically get sold. Wouldn't you want to sell something to the guy who gives you the most money?? But, a sports team which also represents a geographical area isn't a typical asset. There is lots of emotion from lots of people also tied into it. But if Ralph wants to get the most for his family, to the highest bidder it goes, and I can't argue much.

As for what happens to the team depends on who buys it, and how much they have to borrow to do so. The more that they have to borrow the more likely they will move the team. This is because they will need to pay a LOT of interest and the Buffalo area probably can't support a massive increase in ticket costs and other revenue sources.

The man built this organization and helped build the NFL to what it is today. It's been a part of his life for what 40-50 years? It's his and he enjoys it and wants to own it for the rest of his life. Sounds reasonable to me, I would do the same.

I buy into the concept that there is a plan. Many in the press have written how there's no plan mainly due ot RW not stating anything. I think there is a plan, Kelly talks like it involves him, but as part of the plan he's agreed to make very limited statements about it as long as RW is alive. If RW or his estate only cared about maximizing the sale price he could have sold or moved a long time ago. The difference betwen $800 vrs $600 million at that point doesn't matter that much any way.

Okay, this is lunacy.

the difference in your example is $200 MILLION dollars! What do you mean it doesn't f'ing matter?? Of course it matters.

Edited by Mark Long Beach

The fact is you don't know anything more than the rest of us. So everyone is talking out of their ass.

He doesn't move the team now because he just wants to live out his last days in peace.

If there is a plan in place to keep the team in Buffalo, why doesn't he just make it known? They are all fully aware of that fans are afraid the team will move, but OBD has done nothing to ease anyone's mind.

bull ****. I'm not stating what will happen as if it's a foregone conclusion. If you hate him so much maybe it's time to start rooting for a different team. Like the Buffalo Braves (aka LA Clippers.)

Edited by Captain Caveman

bull ****. I'm not stating what will happen as if it's a foregone conclusion. If you hate him so much maybe it's time to start rooting for a different team. Like the Buffalo Braves (aka LA Clippers.)

The only things you've posted in this thread are an extremely lame and obvious "joke", and then a couple posts trolling me. :thumbsup:

I'm posting my opinions, same as anyone else.

Unless Ralph himself makes an announcement, it's all just wild speculation - be it positive or negative. (yes, even guys like K-Gun that try so hard to pretend they are "in the know" are just giving opinions).

The only things you've posted in this thread are an extremely lame and obvious "joke", and then a couple posts trolling me. :thumbsup:

Unless Ralph himself makes an announcement, it's all just wild speculation - be it positive or negative. (yes, even guys like K-Gun that try so hard to pretend they are "in the know" are just giving opinions).

Right. im pretending.

I made a joke because this thread is a joke. If calling out bull **** is "trolling" then I'm a troll.

This topic been discussed forver, and it inevitably serves as a place for people to bash Ralph. I don't know what's in place. I would guess that he has some plans (Most 91 year old millionaires do.) I hope he has made some arrangements for the Bills to remain in Buffalo, but I don't think he owes me or any other fan squat. He's run a business for 50+ years in Buffalo. I thank him for that.

Right. im pretending.

Ok, how about we do it this way then.

I do not believe you have any special inside information as to Ralph Wilson's plans with regard to the Buffalo Bills upon his passing.

You claim that you do.

I claim that you're just a guy pretending to have "insider info" to look all cool.

So, prove me wrong.

Give us some bonafides that corroborate a single word you are saying. Because "trust me, I know" just doesn't cut it with a random guy on the Internet.

Start with who you know, and their relationship to Ralph Wilson. Otherwise, you are just some yahoo posting their wild speculation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok, how about we do it this way then.

I do not believe you have any special inside information as to Ralph Wilson's plans with regard to the Buffalo Bills upon his passing.

You claim that you do.

I claim that you're just a guy pretending to have "insider info" to look all cool.

So, prove me wrong.

Give us some bonafides that corroborate a single word you are saying. Because "trust me, I know" just doesn't cut it with a random guy on the Internet.

Start with who you know, and their relationship to Ralph Wilson. Otherwise, you are just some yahoo posting their wild speculation. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know one of the attorneys who helped set up the structure back in the late 70s and revamped during the super bowl years.

I dont have insider info, look back at all my posts, never once claimed to know about a signing trade or draft pick. Never claimed anything along those lines.

But this i do know about, im saying it for informative purposes not to gain street cred on an online msg board.

Take it for what its worth, and yes i understand your point im a randum guy on the internet.

This topic been discussed forver, and it inevitably serves as a place for people to bash Ralph. I don't know what's in place. I would guess that he has some plans (Most 91 year old millionaires do.) I hope he has made some arrangements for the Bills to remain in Buffalo, but I don't think he owes me or any other fan squat. He's run a business for 50+ years in Buffalo. I thank him for that.

This topic gets discussed so much because Ralph Wilson is making a calculated decision (in as much as a man of his advanced age can calculate) to keep the patrons of his business in the dark with regard to the long-term stability and viability of his company in Western NY. It is important. It is a million times more important than whether we got robbed on the Marshawn Lynch trade. We're talking about the possibility of the team simply CEASING TO EXIST as the Buffalo Bills in the very near-term future. Frankly, this is probably the ONLY thing we should discuss, as the minutia of the players and schemes make little long-term difference if the team packs up and leaves.

Also, the idea that we should be thankful that Ralph did us the huge favor of graciously providing us with the Buffalo Bills out of the kindness of his heart is a crock of crap. WE made him a mega-millionaire with riches beyond any of our imaginations. Buffalo made him filthy, roll-around-in-a-pile-of-hundreds rich. Rich. If anyone deserves a thank-you, it is YOU for supporting HIS company and affording him a life of luxury that neither of us will ever attain.

God, that "Please sir, can I have some more" junk is so tired.

I know one of the attorneys who helped set up the structure back in the late 70s and revamped during the super bowl years.

Ok, so you know the guy that helped him structure his company 40 years ago. That's pretty sweet. Not sure how you can make the leap from knowing a bit about the structure of the corporation to knowing his succession plan, but I guess we'll just either have to trust you or not. And hope that nothing changed since the Ford administration.

This topic gets discussed so much because Ralph Wilson is making a calculated decision (in as much as a man of his advanced age can calculate) to keep the patrons of his business in the dark with regard to the long-term stability and viability of his company in Western NY. It is important. It is a million times more important than whether we got robbed on the Marshawn Lynch trade. We're talking about the possibility of the team simply CEASING TO EXIST as the Buffalo Bills in the very near-term future. Frankly, this is probably the ONLY thing we should discuss, as the minutia of the players and schemes make little long-term difference if the team packs up and leaves.

Also, the idea that we should be thankful that Ralph did us the huge favor of graciously providing us with the Buffalo Bills out of the kindness of his heart is a crock of crap. WE made him a mega-millionaire with riches beyond any of our imaginations. Buffalo made him filthy, roll-around-in-a-pile-of-hundreds rich. Rich. If anyone deserves a thank-you, it is YOU for supporting HIS company and affording him a life of luxury that neither of us will ever attain.

Ok, so you know the guy that helped him structure his company 40 years ago. That's pretty sweet. Not sure how you can make the leap from knowing a bit about the structure of the corporation to knowing his succession plan, but I guess we'll just either have to trust you or not. And hope that nothing changed since the Ford administration.

Yea which was altered during the 90s and again a few years ago. pretty standard and not the corporate structure, that has remained the same, its the structure of distribution of assets that changed.

Why to the highest bidder? Can't they sell the team to whomever they want?

In the case of Jack Kent Cooke: he left the Washington DC franchise to his foundation with instructions to sell it. Cooke's son, John Kent Cooke, tried to put in a competitive bid to keep the team in the family, but it instead went to Daniel Snyder and his associates for $800 million.

It seems that the executor of the estate probably has a fiduciary responsibility to get the most out of the assets of the estate -- and that means the highest bidder.

His estate sells the team to the highest bidder and the new owner gets to answer where he wants the team...pending NFL approval, (from what I understand, a foregone conclusion mind you), and off they go. City of Industry has a nice new vacant home being built I here...I am sure the NFL is already working on the logistics of this issue... All the while, the fine blue collared citizens of WNY reach for the KY...err, I mean wallets to support a pipedream of keeping the franchise local...And so it is writen...

The wheels are already in motion. The NFL will approve the sale to a big money offer from Toronto. This is the NFL version of throwing Buffalo a bone. The deal has been discussed among the owners and the NFL for years now.

Much of the revenue the Bills generate now comes from Canada. Forget LA, its the NFL dream to go international and this is the easiest first step. Book it!

p.s. Jim Kelly was a great QB for the Bills, but he doesn't have a clue and has no chance of leading a group to buy the team and keep it in Buffalo.

I never suggested that you or anyone else should be grateful. I said I thank Ralph. I don't care what you do (unless it's opening another one of these GD threads.) I choose to buy a product. At any time, I can choose not to buy said product. Or, at any time Ralph can choose to sell his product elsewhere. It's my opinion that if he had done just that a long time ago he could have made a lot more money.