Does this front office know how to make a trade?

Got_Wood

I'm not convinced they do. They have had several opportunities to make something happen within the last year, and nothing has happened. In this era of the NFL, you need to be able to execute a trade in order to run a franchise. You can't sit back and wait for draft picks and free agents to land in your lap.

Trading is hard, lol. I dont get why we dont take what we could get for Marshawn. Were going to suck this year either way so he isnt going to help us this year. Next year is his last year. He wants out thats clear. I could be wrong but wont he be a UFA after next year so the only way to keep him is to put the franchise or transition tag on him and pay that kind of money to him. Doesnt make sense. Also the status quo defenders will always say its hard to trade, as in down, which many fans call for to get extra picks. Yet the Patriots seem to find a way to do it multiple times in every draft.

People here think the NFL is a game of Madden.

"Trade Lee Evans for a #2."

"Trade Marshawn for a #2"

"Trade Lee Evans + Marshawn Lynch for a #1".

Come on now.

Lee Evans might get you a 4th or 5th rounder. Teams WAY overvalue draft picks compared to proven players. You can't just go out and trade your 30 year old running back (Fred Jackson) for a first round draft pick.

I'm not convinced they do. They have had several opportunities to make something happen within the last year, and nothing has happened. In this era of the NFL, you need to be able to execute a trade in order to run a franchise. You can't sit back and wait for draft picks and free agents to land in your lap.

Really? :huh:

People here think the NFL is a game of Madden.

"Trade Lee Evans for a #2."

"Trade Marshawn for a #2"

"Trade Lee Evans + Marshawn Lynch for a #1".

Come on now.

Lee Evans might get you a 4th or 5th rounder. Teams WAY overvalue draft picks compared to proven players. You can't just go out and trade your 30 year old running back (Fred Jackson) for a first round draft pick.

Totally agree that teams WAY OVERVALUE draft picks. If you look historically, most 1st rounders are mediocre or busts. The way to build a team is to do 3 things:

a) trade down to stockpile picks

b) trade your picks for established veterans (w/out having to pay signing bonuses)

c) use the cash saved from the high 1st rounders to sign FA's

These are things (surprise, surprise) the Bills don't do. In fact, they do just the opposite, trading up to get Losman, McCargo, Poz ...

Buddy had a trade all mapped out in his head, but then he got to the fax machine to send in the paperwork and got a blank stare on his face. After a minute and a half of this nonsense, he forgot what the trade was. Then he went back to his office and had a ham samitch.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

Buddy had a trade all mapped out in his head, but then he got to the fax machine to send in the paperwork and got a blank stare on his face. After a minute and a half of this nonsense, he forgot what the trade was. Then he went back to his office and had a ham samitch.

LMAO, I think Buddy was looking for the telegraph thingamajig.

If trading is so hard then why do the Patriots, for example, get it done on a regular basis. Maroney this year. Deon Branch for a 1st round pick years ago! Draft picks during the draft. Remember Randy Moss. I have to admit, at least Donahue knew how to execute trades. Peerless Price to Atlanta for 1st Rounder. Bledsoe even though he didn't work out so well but funny thing is, he has been the best QB since Kelly. Lawyer Miloy was a nice pickup too. Donahue, of course, made mistakes and many blame him for the current demise.

Totally agree that teams WAY OVERVALUE draft picks. If you look historically, most 1st rounders are mediocre or busts. The way to build a team is to do 3 things:

a) trade down to stockpile picks

b) trade your picks for established veterans (w/out having to pay signing bonuses)

c) use the cash saved from the high 1st rounders to sign FA's

Like the evil empire in Foxboro, for example.

Maybe Russ Brandon can work this confounded faxtrola...

The price goes up for your players if you have the patience to wait till the other team feels a need to come callin. . .

If Lynch goes now he brings in more than he would have 4 months ago . . .

With the Bills, even when someone like Brian Orakapo DE lands in your lap in the draft, but you pass on him and instead and select the undersized "tweener" Aaron Maybe Maybin which defies all logic, and is a typical move of the Buffalo Bills organization!!!!!!!!! :bag: