Its Going to take time

Amstel

I don't know that we'll ever have teams again like we had in the SB years but those teams took time to build

Kelly and Talley drafted in 1983 (Kelly didnt sign till 86)

Bruce and Andre drafted in 1985

Will Wolford drafted in 1986

Kent Hull was signed in 1986

Thurman was drafted in 1988

The Cornelius trade took place in 1987 and Shane Conlan was drafted in 1987

The 84 draft didnt yield anyone outside of Greg Bell who never did much and John Kidd the punter

we were 8-8 in 83, 2-14 in 84 and 85, 4-12 in 86, 7-8 in 87, 12-4 in 88, and 9-7 in 89 then things really took off

I know Nix is no Polian but assuming and this is a Big assumption, that Buddy is left alone to make his own moves, is given a few years, and chooses players well its still going to take some time....

That being said, I'm as frustrated at watching this team as everyone else on the board....

I don't know that we'll ever have teams again like we had in the SB years but those teams took time to build

The 84 draft didnt yield anyone outside of Greg Bell who never did much and John Kidd the punter

we were 8-8 in 83, 2-14 in 84 and 85, 4-12 in 86, 7-8 in 87, 12-4 in 88, and 9-7 in 89 then things really took off

I know Nix is no Polian but assuming and this is a Big assumption, that Buddy is left alone to make his own moves, is given a few years, and chooses players well its still going to take some time....

That being said, I'm as frustrated at watching this team as everyone else on the board....

good post! it should also be noted that when Butler/Smith/Nix rebuilt the Chargers they still had the #1 overall pick going into their 4th year. That means that even after 3 years of rebuilding (with the #1, and #5 picks in those drafts as well) that they were still the worst team in the league. Only after that 4th draft did the team turn around into the perennial playoff team it is now.

as you said, "It's going to take time"

Nix's failure to address the either the QB, offensive tackle, defensive line, linebacker and tight end positions this off season should tell you everything you need to know. If that wasn't enough, his extension of Kelsay, a sub par defensive end playing out of position at LB, should really make it crystal clear.

You gonna also include G Jim Richter who was drafted by Chuck Knox back in 1980?

Bill Polian took over in 1986, he stated this .."We were 2-14 on merit--we have the worst personnel in the NFL."" If anyone would know, it is Bill Polian...he fired Hank Bullough at mid-season and hired Marv Levy. when Marv Levy was hired his first statement to the press was ""We want to get as good as we can as fast as we can" Not this we are rebuilding for the future crap.

He went after Jim Kelly in 86 and got him into Buffalo, signed Kent Hull from the USFL in 86, drafted Will Wolford in 86 and the team was in the playoffs in 1988, just two years later.

Those moves are significantly more then what Gailey and Nix did in their first year.... Oh Yea I forgot...RT Cornell Green is a beast isn't he! OK well maybe he is a beast at the dinner table because he sucksass as a RT.

BTW, who did Bill Polian draft as his first pick in that 1986 draft, that's right G/T Will Wolford, he started at G in 86 and then moved to LT for the next 12 years

Did it take the Dolphins time in 07 at 1-15 to go 11-5 for 08 in one year....did it take the Falcons time in 07 at 4-12 to go 11-5 in one year...Did it take the 09 Redskins time, who have already won 2 games.....ALL NO! I don't buy this is going to take time crap

Edited by Harvey lives

good post! it should also be noted that when Butler/Smith/Nix rebuilt the Chargers they still had the #1 overall pick going into their 4th year. That means that even after 3 years of rebuilding (with the #1, and #5 picks in those drafts as well) that they were still the worst team in the league. Only after that 4th draft did the team turn around into the perennial playoff team it is now.

as you said, "It's going to take time"

Odd... The people that "knew" all was lost are now the ones panicking. They devote their lives to proving how bad this team and it's players are... We have a !@#$ing brutal first 4 games...we are in 2 out of 4, and an argument could be made that the game in GB wasn't as lopsided as the score.

Now...they are confused, calling for Nix/Gailey's head, they are trading everybody for 4th round picks,etc.

I am a homer, through and through. I still root every week, and that's what I'll continue to do, but I always had the feeling this season was going to be ugly. I don't sit around and cry about it. That doesn't make this anymore fun, but really? Buddy addressed this when he was hired, and has addressed it several times since. He said it wasn't going to be this year, and that's not how a winning team was going to be built.

The writing was on the wall, and now the ones that are shocked and appalled are the "realists." Is that considered irony?

It is always good to see what transpired in the past. Considering the fact that we have been out of the playoffs for over 10 years, I am not sure the fan base will be that patient.

It is always good to see what transpired in the past. Considering the fact that we have been out of the playoffs for over 10 years, I am not sure the fan base will be that patient.

well then they can start watching another team, if thats the way they feel. cause this is the reality we are faced with.

Odd... The people that "knew" all was lost are now the ones panicking. They devote their lives to proving how bad this team and it's players are... We have a !@#$ing brutal first 4 games...we are in 2 out of 4, and an argument could be made that the game in GB wasn't as lopsided as the score.

Now...they are confused, calling for Nix/Gailey's head, they are trading everybody for 4th round picks,etc.

I am a homer, through and through. I still root every week, and that's what I'll continue to do, but I always had the feeling this season was going to be ugly. I don't sit around and cry about it. That doesn't make this anymore fun, but really? Buddy addressed this when he was hired, and has addressed it several times since. He said it wasn't going to be this year, and that's not how a winning team was going to be built.

The writing was on the wall, and now the ones that are shocked and appalled are the "realists." Is that considered irony?

+1

This sucks, we all get it. But how does screaming "off with their heads" help at this point in time? It doesn't take a genius to be in a position to be yelling, "I told you so!" after these four games. We all knew this was going to be a tough, slow road. This isn't the Titanic -- no one should have been thinking this was the best ship in football. As a 2010 Bills fan, you booked steerage on a rusty freighter and now you find yourself on the leakiest life boat.

I'm giving Nix/Gailey et al. a year or two. And to be honest, with all best wishes to the owner, I assume there will be new ownership sooner rather than later. So, things are changing. I hope for the better! Maybe they'll even fix those d@mn-stupid unis!

Edited by Sabre Bill

Obviously I agree with you. I was totally as angry watching what we all saw yesterday. But a quarter of the way through the season there's not much that can be done at this point. I know everyone is frustrated and wants heads to roll. You can't cut the whole team and there aren't a bunch of fa's available out there that are any good that can come in and contribute. I'm all for trades that make sense but unless it brings us value there's no point in trading a guy like Lee Evans just to trade him. Unless someone on a Super Bowl run gets desperate for a WR and is willing to give up a ridiculous pick why not wait and trade him in the offseason.

I know everyone is saying Buddy didnt address the o line and QB situation. While the Cornell Green signing is perplexing I can only think its a kneejerk reaction to our projected RT retiring out of the blue. I think they could've drafted another OT somewhere in the draft but apparently they didnt think there was one of value at their pick until Wang in round 5. I don't think there were any decent FA tackles available that I know of. As far as QB, drafting one just to draft one makes no sense. If they didnt think Clausen or McCoy were "it" why draft them. As far as FA QB's who were out there...Derek Anderson? Jake Delhomme? McNabb didnt want to come to Buffalo and last I checked Jason Campbell was benched in Oakland....

I hoped for a better showing but I do think Nix made it obvious if not clear that while he planned on being competetive that this was going to take some time....yes its been ten years but Donahoe/Levy/Brandon and their picks are not Nix's fault......

I don't necessarily get the Kelsay deal either......

Football Genius Buddy Nix's solution to the offensive line problem was signing Cornell Green -- worse than any of John Guy's UFA acquisitions -- and drafting a giant Chinese dude.

His solution for fixing the defense was re-upping Kelsay, drafting a nose tackle listed at 315 who gets pushed around like a 280-lb DE, and drafting a small school DE who cannot beat out Spencer Johnson for snaps.

This 71 year old was never given a chance at GM during his 35-year football career for a reason.

I don't know how many times we're going to get blown out this year but in both the 84 and 85 2-14 seasons we got blown out in 6 games in 84 and 4 in 85. and the other gmaes were close within ten points or less accept a 31-17 loss in 84.

Football Genius Buddy Nix's solution to the offensive line problem was signing Cornell Green -- worse than any of John Guy's UFA acquisitions -- and drafting a giant Chinese dude.

His solution for fixing the defense was re-upping Kelsay, drafting a nose tackle listed at 315 who gets pushed around like a 280-lb DE, and drafting a small school DE who cannot beat out Spencer Johnson for snaps.

This 71 year old was never given a chance at GM during his 35-year football career for a reason.

All good points that most posters here will deny!

Lets not forget that Chan Gailey was fired in his as an offensive coordinator, for a reason... only the Bills would hire the guy as head coach. Only delusional Bills fans would keep supporting him game after game, and his moronic decisions.

Kinda tough to figure out if these are real posters or lackeys hired by Jeff Littmann to post about how this crud is going to take time........... Anyway those two "good ole boys" did almost nothing to improve the team in their first year, If I had my way they wouldn't get a second year to screw the team again

Um, let's start with facts. Fact 1: It is going to take time.

You gonna also include G Jim Richter who was drafted by Chuck Knox back in 1980?

Bill Polian took over in 1986, he stated this .."We were 2-14 on merit--we have the worst personnel in the NFL."" If anyone would know, it is Bill Polian...he fired Hank Bullough at mid-season and hired Marv Levy. when Marv Levy was hired his first statement to the press was ""We want to get as good as we can as fast as we can" Not this we are rebuilding for the future crap.

He went after Jim Kelly in 86 and got him into Buffalo, signed Kent Hull from the USFL in 86, drafted Will Wolford in 86 and the team was in the playoffs in 1988, just two years later.

Those moves are significantly more then what Gailey and Nix did in their first year.... Oh Yea I forgot...RT Cornell Green is a beast isn't he! OK well maybe he is a beast at the dinner table because he sucksass as a RT.

BTW, who did Bill Polian draft as his first pick in that 1986 draft, that's right G/T Will Wolford, he started at G in 86 and then moved to LT for the next 12 years

Did it take the Dolphins time in 07 at 1-15 to go 11-5 for 08 in one year....did it take the Falcons time in 07 at 4-12 to go 11-5 in one year...Did it take the 09 Redskins time, who have already won 2 games.....ALL NO! I don't buy this is going to take time crap

Yep, Gonna take about 2-3 years to turn this around. We'll def get a top 5 pick and we're gonna be in position to have a great draft. So it's up to Good Ol' Buddy to get er done. What makes this so disappointing about this season is that they didn't draft well nor did they go after impact free agents. Cutting Lee Evans or Whitner or whoever is a bad Idea. We need these guys. It's not our money so who cares. I don't care what they pay them. Just go get the talent. We should have got Julius Peppers and impact players like that. If they continue that trend next year, it may take 4-5 years of great drafts before this team competes for a championship.

Next Year if they go after big time free agents and draft good talent. They should be back to about 3-6 win range. But a another bad draft and not getting big name free agents, it's a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately, this is rebuilding from rock bottom in progress. Years of poor drafting, lucrative contracts to sub-par free agents, bad coaching, and poor front office management got us to where we stand today.

This is year one of what is probably three. My optimistic side tells me they should be more competitive in the second half of the season. Learning a new system and then actually executing it takes time. If suffering through a season like this is what it takes to become competitive once again then as a fan I'm willing to suffer through it. No doubt we're looking at a top 5 choice in '11.

My concern at this point is this year's draft class. What do we have here? Spiller seems to be getting less and less work each week, along with Troupe. Carrington hasn't even seen the field unless I missed him yesterday. Moats? Wang hurt still. And throw in Maybin from last year. Play these guys. You are losing anyway and I presume they are going to be part of the future.

One other note off topic with appologies.... Please no crying the blues talk from management about the poor old small market Bills. You just way overpaid at $24 million over 4 years to a player that wouldn't start on any other team in the league. Obviously they've got money to waste because this is definitely a waste.

Just give it another 10 years guys, be patient!

If you complain they might move the team, so just shut up and take it.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, so if you wait long enough they will probably have a few good seasons again someday!

Probably not in the next five years, but what's the rush?

This is the one thing the optimists have been right about in the past 10 years, "It's going to take time."

When people complained during the Donahoe/Williams era we got, "give them a chance, it takes time with a new GM and coach."

When fans wanted a better product during the Donahoe/Mularky era we got, "new schemes to learn, it takes time."

When we wanted more wins during the Levy/Jauron era we got, "it's going to take a few years for a new GM/Coach to turn things around."

And now, with Nix/Gaily they say, "it's going to take time" once again.

Well, you guy are right, it is going to take time. So far it's taken 10 years to get us - perhaps - the first pick in the draft. Let's all be patient and just give them a little more time.

I wonder, will 10 more years be enough time or would fans still not be justified in expecting the Bills to field a winning team by then?

I wonder, will 10 more years be enough time or would fans still not be justified in expecting the Bills to field a winning team by then?

That is only if ralph last another 10 years... which I highly doubt it. Once we get a new owner (and hopefully keeps the team in buffalo) I believe this team will look better instantly.

I have been seeing it a lot on many sports teams. A new owner changes everything, no matter what sport. The bucs are terrible, then they get a new owner and in a few years they win a superbowl. The tampa rays, bottom dwellers, get a new owner, end up in the world series.

Just gotta hope the new owner wants to win and keeps the team in buffalo.