Tailgating question

ACor58

I am making pulled pork for the game on Sunday. We are leaving Rochester at 8AM and will probably eat around 11Am. Any thoughts on keeping it warm and or heating it at the game that would not require me to bring a grill.

I am making pulled pork for the game on Sunday. We are leaving Rochester at 8AM and will probably eat around 11Am. Any thoughts on keeping it warm and or heating it at the game that would not require me to bring a grill.

couple things here. pulled pork does not need to be hot to be yummy.But,if you put it in a warm pan,wrap the pan in foil,and stick it in a colloer will be plenty warm enough at the game.

couple things here. pulled pork does not need to be hot to be yummy.But,if you put it in a warm pan,wrap the pan in foil,and stick it in a colloer will be plenty warm enough at the game.

I agree with you 100% but one of my fellow tailgaters requested that they be warm.

I agree with you 100% but one of my fellow tailgaters requested that they be warm.

One suggestion I have for your high maintenance tailgater would be to bring a package of foil, wrap an individual size amount of pork in the foil and use a hand held propane torch to heat the outside of the foil, thus warming it's contents.

I've actually done it before and it works. It looks and sounds stupid but it's a lot less bulky than a grill and it only takes a few minutes of warming the small package to heat the contents.

On a side note, pulled pork it probably my all time favorite tailgate dish. It's simple (meaning it can be prepared a day or two in advance) and it's damn tasty.

It is a good thing that you are pulling your pork before you get to the game. On a serious note, I live down in Virginia near the North Carolina border, where pulled BBQ pork is king, so it is all around down here. The stuff is awesome, one of the few things that can be reheated and not taste like crap. It is best with some fresh coleslaw on top of it.

Keep the pork warm in a tin pan with foil wrapping as stated above, to get it hotter, bring a few sterno cans and just prop the pan up on a couple of bricks or a random log or two and place the sternos underneath. Use the caps to regulate the heat. I have done it with chili and it works fine.

Edited by Guffalo

I've brought pulled pork to my tailgates many times. Often I will reheat it at the game, wrapped in aluminum foil with some apple juice (or with some east carolina bbq sauce) to keep it from drying out. But there are a couple other options. The first suggestion above will work, but I would double wrap the pork in aluminum foil, wrap a towel or two around the aluminum foil and place it inside the cooler. It will stay even warmer if you wrap the whole cooked pork shoulder and pull it at the tailgate, but that can be a pain and a mess. Option number two is to use one of those insulated hot food carriers with a microwaveable heat pack. I think corning, among others, makes one -- they are about $25. I heat up food before I leave for the game, microwave the heat pack, close the carrier and toss it in a cooler, and my food stays hot for the tailgate.

A fully cooked pork shoulder will stay hot enough to pull for appx 5-6 hours after it is removed from the smoker if wrapped in heavy duty alum foil, then wrapped in towels and stuck inside an insulated cooler. Then you can pull it right at the tailgate. As someone else suggested... if you end up needing to reheat it, adding some apple juice to the pulled meat keeps it nice and moist, but I also put a little extra rub in the apple juice to boost the flavor a bit as well.

I don't recommend adding any sort of liquid in with the foil-wrapped meat because that will only make the crispy bark mushy and break down and wash away some of that great flavor.

Edited by MattyT

I always put hot water in the cooler to get it warm first, then dump out the water and place food in as described by other posters.

If it doesn't stay hot enough in a cooler or if you want it warmed after the game put the foil wrapped pork on you engine block, and let the vehicle idle.

It is a good thing that you are pulling your pork before you get to the game. On a serious note, I live down in Virginia near the North Carolina border, where pulled BBQ pork is king, so it is all around down here. The stuff is awesome, one of the few things that can be reheated and not taste like crap. It is best with some fresh coleslaw on top of it.

Pulled pork and coleslaw sandwich :thumbsup:

Also, make this sauce a day or two in advance. You can thank me after the tailgate. :P

1 quart cider vinegar

12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 T red pepper flakes

2 T salt

1 tsp black pepper

2 T Worchestershire sauce

Juice of one lemon

1 T chipotle powder

1 tsp dry mustard

1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle.

One suggestion I have for your high maintenance tailgater would be to bring a package of foil, wrap an individual size amount of pork in the foil and use a hand held propane torch to heat the outside of the foil, thus warming it's contents.

In the spirit of my young sons multiple choice tests in school ...

Which of the following doesn't belong:

A) Buffalo Bills Tailgate

B) Mass quantities of Beer

C) Mass quantities of bowling ball shots (OK, maybe not this week)

D) Drunken fools everywhere

E) Propane torch

:oops:

Edited by CodeMonkey

I've brought pulled pork to my tailgates many times. Often I will reheat it at the game, wrapped in aluminum foil with some apple juice (or with some east carolina bbq sauce) to keep it from drying out. But there are a couple other options. The first suggestion above will work, but I would double wrap the pork in aluminum foil, wrap a towel or two around the aluminum foil and place it inside the cooler. It will stay even warmer if you wrap the whole cooked pork shoulder and pull it at the tailgate, but that can be a pain and a mess. Option number two is to use one of those insulated hot food carriers with a microwaveable heat pack. I think corning, among others, makes one -- they are about $25. I heat up food before I leave for the game, microwave the heat pack, close the carrier and toss it in a cooler, and my food stays hot for the tailgate.

good ideas. Another suggestion is to use one of those styrofoam cubes that you might have from, say, Omaha Steaks. I've found they really insulate well, maybe because they seal so well. I had one filled with frozen Sahlens this summer on a drive back from Buffalo. 2 days in a trunk of a car and they were still frozen.

My buddies usually use something ike this, It is called a cambro... Most resturants have them if you know someone in the bussiness it works really well

My link