Cutting Trent and Schobel Retiring = $11.5M for Ralph

HarkinBanks

Schobel did not collect his $2M roster bonus in March or his $8.2M salary for the season.

Cutting Edwards saves the Bills $1.35M this season.

That is a total of $11.5M extra to Ralph's bottom line for this year. Pretty big money in my book.

Add in the $78M that Ralph got for playing one game per year in Toronto and you would expect all this extra money to be reinvested in some marquee players...

Right?

Can't wait to see how all this extra money is going to be spent <_<

Schobel did not collect his $2M roster bonus in March or his $8.2M salary for the season.

That is a total of $11.5M extra to Ralph's bottom line for this year. Pretty big money in my book.

Add in the $78M that Ralph got for playing one game per year in Toronto and you would expect all this extra money to be reinvested in some marquee players...

Right?

Most billionaires got really rich by being really stupid. True story

Up up up goes the roller coaster!

Right?

+ 24 million for Kelsay. :wallbash:

Right?

Grawwarrrawraarrrr!

Edited by Chewie

From a football standpoint cutting Edwards was the right thing to do, for the player and the organization. Schobel made a decision to retire. The organization would have kept him if he did not retire. The end result is that the player made a decision which was right for him, and in the short and long term his departure did not appreciably hurt the team.

Yawn. Another "Ralph is cheap" post? I guess that extra money is going towards Chris Kelsay's contract extension, or did you miss that story while you were ranting?

PTR

The thought of them "thinking" of giving Kelsay an extension makes me want to vomit. The guy stinks as a LB.

Edited by Azucho98

9.5 still isn't bad. I can't say they are smart doing the Kelsey thing tho. Do it at the end of the year, let him test the waters or at least wait til we see if he does any better by like the 10th,11th or 12th game. Right now he just isn't good at this system.

If you're going to post something that's been posted again and again and again at least get your facts right.

Schobel's salray for this year was just over $6 mil, with a 2$ mil bonus. By the way, Ralph had nothing to do with Schobel not collecting this. Schobel never showed up.

Agreed with Ralph not having anything to do with Schobel retiring...but he still knocked $8M off the books through "good fortune". And just to be clear, Schobel was technically released by the team.

My point is that I wonder where this extra money is going to be spent...or is all just extra profit for Ralph? You can decide for yourself how you feel about it.

This is interesting also:

Halsell reports that Buffalo's team salary in 2010 (an uncapped season, if you recall) is $109,377,363 - more than $13 million less than New England's payroll, $15 million less than Miami's, and well over $19 million less than New York's. In addition, while Halsell reports dead money (money paid to non-roster players in the form of guarantees and bonuses) totals of $9.49 million (New York), $10.67 million (New England) and $10.91 million (Miami), Buffalo's total is a minuscule, barely-worth-mentioning $27,279.

I do give the team a lot of credit for minimizing the dead money.

Right?

I guess there is only saved money in the world of "Ralph is cheap."

It's not like he has any cost associated with owning the Bills that may have increased or even small expenses like replacing these players on the roster, cost of a first round running back.

Just think how much security costs at the Ralph keeping all the inmates safe.

Agreed with Ralph not having anything to do with Schobel retiring...but he still knocked $8M off the books through "good fortune". And just to be clear, Schobel was technically released by the team.

My point is that I wonder where this extra money is going to be spent...or is all just extra profit for Ralph? You can decide for yourself how you feel about it.

This is interesting also:

Halsell reports that Buffalo's team salary in 2010 (an uncapped season, if you recall) is $109,377,363 - more than $13 million less than New England's payroll, $15 million less than Miami's, and well over $19 million less than New York's. In addition, while Halsell reports dead money (money paid to non-roster players in the form of guarantees and bonuses) totals of $9.49 million (New York), $10.67 million (New England) and $10.91 million (Miami), Buffalo's total is a minuscule, barely-worth-mentioning $27,279.

I do give the team a lot of credit for minimizing the dead money.

Schobel retired of his own volition, and when given the chance to join the Texans, who had a winning record last year, he decided to remain retired. The release was as a favor to him so he could sign with the Texans unencumbered, if he wished. And given the state of the pass rush, I doubt Ralph would have minded paying Schobel his salary this season.

This is the last year of no estate tax. Ralphie is bulking up in case he doesn't make the end of the year. Should the estate tax come back next year, and Ralph is still kicking, I would think that he would consider selling off a minority so he can start cashing out with not as much tax implications.

Edited by Haven Moses

Right?

I'm so sick of these Ralph is cheap threads.(no you didn't say it, but you sure did imply it) Yea, ralph forced schobel to retire so he could save his salary. PaLeeeeease.And just what "marquee" players are out there that you would like him to pick up?

This is the last year of no estate tax. Ralphie is bulking up in case he doesn't make the end of the year. Should the estate tax come back next year, and Ralph is still kicking, I would think that he would consider selling off a minority so he can start cashing out with not as much tax implications.

Thank you for posting this. There is an underlying accounting implication to just about all of the Bills moves (or lack thereof) over the past few years. Ralph is and has been clearing as much as he can from the books to (a) make the team as attractive as possible to a potential buyer and (b) allow for the greatest possible financial return to his estate should he pass. As a business might look to clear as many long-term liabilities as possible to prop up its book value prior to being sold, this is what Ralph has been doing. We the fans don't like it, but it is not now nor has it even been about putting money away to go after high priced free agents.