Can we really draft another QB?

boyst

Since Kelly our franchise has drafted Todd Collins, JP Losman, Trent Edwards. We have acquired Fitz, Flutie, Bledsoe, and Johnson via trades and free agency. I know we are a rebuilding team and I believe that Brohm, Brown and Fitzpatrick both are deserving of as much of a shot as anyone we bring in. This is not a thread to say that anyone of those three should start. I am just worried that we draft a Locker, Pryor, Mallet, Luck, Gabbert, Brantley or Ponder that we end up with another 3 year effort to rebuild the team.

Our history has definately shown the QB's we bring in as free agents or trades fair better. Jim Kelly was a free agent...sort of.

Flutie, Bledsoe, Johnson > Edwards, Collins, Losman.

In 2011 Kolb and Vick will both be free agents. I have to imagine the Eagles sign Vick and am surprised they have not traded Kolb now before he loses all value.

Other free agents: John Beck, Troy Smith, Brian Griese, Kerry Collins, Brodie Croyle, Chad Pennington, Tyler Thigpen, Kellen Clemens, Sage Rosenfels, Seneca Wallace, Donovan McNabb, Billy Volek, Shaun Hill, Bruce Gradkowski, and Charlie Frye.

I have to imagine that Farve, Brady, Manning, and Hasselbeck will not be available.

If we sign an experienced veteran above to start and compete with the winner of Brohm and Fitz, and draft a QB we can come out well. Either way, I do not see us keeping both Brohm and Fitz after this year. I just do not want to have to spend another 3 years to have to rebuild again. It will take at least 2 years for any rookie QB to improve our situation whether they start early or not. With our luck at drafting QB's and us likely to have a top 8 pick I do not want to spend a high pick on a project. (I will assume that a rookie cap will be in place by the draft, CJ Spiller to not be a project, and consent that our team has made many mistakes which I have disagreed with).

So, do you want to draft Mark Ingram? The next Mike Williams at tackle?

John Beck, Troy Smith, Brian Griese, Kerry Collins, Brodie Croyle, Chad Pennington, Tyler Thigpen, Kellen Clemens, Sage Rosenfels, Seneca Wallace, Billy Volek, Shaun Hill, Bruce Gradkowski, and Charlie Frye.

Wow, what a sad day for this once proud organization, when the fans would be satisfied with bringing in one of these low budget retreads as the new QB of the future.

Edited by NaPolian8693

I'm with you. I'm very very very very very leery of this team drafting a 1st round QB, pay him $75,000,000 and then have him suck and we be in the same boat 3 years from now. I have visions of Danny Werful, Marques Tiasppo, Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Joey Harrington going thorugh my head. You forgot to mention Holcombe as a free agent too btw, but that's OK. I'd prefer to try to get a free agent who has been on successful teams, played many snaps in the NFL, and can play solidly enough so we don't have to worry about QB for a few years. The cupboard is kind of bear when it comes to FAs I admit. But there are always some surprise cuts too.

I wouldn't be 100% certain that Hasselback will be re signed by the hawks. He's getting oldish and Pete Carroll may want to try to bring in his own guy. Matt's been to the SB and been on many good teams and won a lot of games in the NFL. I'd try to sign him next off season. I'd also try to work a trade for someone like Kyle Orton or Dave Garrard or someone like that. Young players like ours respect and look up to and rally behind SB QBs like Hasselback.

I don't buy that we HAVE TO pick a QB in the first round. Stretching for a QB in round 1 is what got us JP Losman. We've been trying to develop QBs here for going on the 6th year and hove gotten nowhere. Let's get someone who can hold down the position for a few years and draft other needs and try to start winning. Then we can go for that "franchise QB".

I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs.

IMHO

The Bills should look at this upcoming draft, in my opinion, like a competition between QBs and defensive linemen. If the better pick in the draft when it comes time for the Bills to pick is a D-lineman, they'd be silly to take the QB. Again, just my opinion, but I look at last game as the perfect example. Kyle Williams is the only guy on the D-Line who we should look at keeping around for anything more than a backup role. We have no pass rush whatsoever and can't stop the run. We need linebackers, as well, but I might pick a QB over a linebacker in that first round, unless the LB is some superman that EVERYBODY thinks is going to shine. And by everybody, I mean other teams, not just ours.

Lastly, if they let Ralph anywhere NEAR the Draft Room this coming offseason, I'm following another team from that day forward. Maybe even Miami. That's how much I hate Ralph Wilson's decisionmaking over the last three or four decades.

Again, just my opinion, but I look at last game as the perfect example. Kyle Williams is the only guy on the D-Line who we should look at keeping around for anything more than a backup role. We have no pass rush whatsoever and can't stop the run. We need linebackers, as well, but I might pick a QB over a linebacker in that first round, unless the LB is some superman that EVERYBODY thinks is going to shine.

It's not the D-Line - it's the LB's.

OUR D-LINE IS FINE!!

I don't get how people don't get this - we're playing a 3-4 now. It's not the DE's main job to generate a pass-rush - think of it like we've got 3 DT's. The job of the three of them is to keep the OL off of the LB's.

Dwan Edwards has been doing his job well - he was starting for the Ravens last year, after all, right? Stroud's fine in his new role. Williams is a little small but is strong and fights hard enough to play well.

AND we just drafted a 2nd round NT (Troupe) and a 3rd round DE (Carrington) - why in heck would we draft yet another DL before these guys have a chance to develop when our LB's are sooo bad and we need help at TE and OT?? Oh yeah - and QB too.

Edited by BobChalmers

This may sound crazy but I would draft 2) QB's in the draft next year, seriously. Once you figure out which one is the franchise, you trade the other one. Could take 2 seasons to develop them but you will get your man and then trade the other one. It would be like an insurance policy on the QB position. I know there are many other glaring needs but start with the QB and build around them. I would trade someone of value now to stock pile a few extra picks. If the team misses on 2 QB's in the same draft then take a permanent knee. :thumbdown:

It's not the D-Line - it's the LB's.

OUR D-LINE IS FINE!!

I don't get how people don't get this - we're playing a 3-4 now. It's not the DE's main job to generate a pass-rush - think of it like we've got 3 DT's. The job of the three of them is to keep the OL off of the LB's.

Dwan Edwards has been doing his job well - he was starting for the Ravens last year, after all, right? Stroud's fine in his new role. Williams is a little small but is strong and fights hard enough to play well.

AND we just drafted a 2nd round NT (Troupe) and a 3rd round DE (Carrington) - why in heck would we draft yet another DL before these guys have a chance to develop when our LB's are sooo bad and we need help at TE and OT?? Oh yeah - and QB too.

Good post! Agree Lt or solid rt round 1, QB round 2, LBs 3,4,5, TE 6 and 7th

2 or 3 FAs a QB more back up Oline, more Dline

This may sound crazy but I would draft 2) QB's in the draft next year, seriously. Once you figure out which one is the franchise, you trade the other one. Could take 2 seasons to develop them but you will get your man and then trade the other one. It would be like an insurance policy on the QB position. I know there are many other glaring needs but start with the QB and build around them. I would trade someone of value now to stock pile a few extra picks. If the team misses on 2 QB's in the same draft then take a permanent knee. :thumbdown:

I like the draft more than one player at the same position theory but I think we try a FA QB and keep 1 of who ever works out this year and draft a 2nd round 1. I want a first round LT (or RT).

I think 2 QBs would be too much so far as developing either one and making a judgement about them.

I've said it before, but if we get the top pick & a QB who the team thinks is worth it is there (Luck looks like the surest thing right now but might stay)you take him. That's because 6 of the 18 QBs taken #1 have won the Super Bowl as the starter at least once. 4 of them are multiple Super Bowl winners. Drew Bledsoe was on the bench when NE won in 2002, so technically 7 of 18 have Super Bowl rings. If you game me a 33% or better chance of winning a Super Bowl just by drafting the right player, compared with the 0% we currently have, I'm going to take that gamble. Now considering there are 5 more #1s who can still win a Super Bowl, although I have my doubts about Alex Smith, that 33% may end up being a low figure.

I hadn't thought of this, but it's not a bad idea. In Jimmie Johnson's (I hate that guy) first year as coach of the Cowboys he drafted Troy Aikmen with the first pick and Steve Walsh in the supplemental. I believe they did trade Walsh at some point. Worked out for them.