Car Trouble

Corp000085

My wife drove her 09 Ford Escape home yesterday and literally drove through a flash flood of water. Wasn't her fault, but the engine died in the middle of the puddle. Oil and gas spilled everywhere, the air intake looks like a sewer grate. Obviously water got ingested into the engine and there was a blow out somewhere on the engine block or the crank case. I've resigned myself to the fact that the car will need a new engine, and possibly a new exhaust system (that was drooping too, possibly from the weight of water/gas/oil forced into it by the failed engine).

First, has anyone here ever dealt with having a complete engine replacement due to a non-accident catastrophic failure? I've already started a comprehensive insurance claim on the thing. Is there a chance that the car would be "totaled" due to the cost of replacement?

Second, I love that car. It drives well, its got some cool features, and its safe. Ford has really stepped up their game since my last ford in the early 90's. But, seriously, WTF was Ford thinking with the air intake? Yes, its mounted high above the engine, but the intake hole is angled DOWN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't water accelerate at 9.8m/s/s towards the center of the Earth? That would be the speed of gravity, straight down into the F---ing intake? So you're telling me that they can put a SYNC computer in the car, but they can't design something like an inverted p-trap to keep water out of the engine? Really?? REALLY!! I don't know much about designing cars, but I do know laws of physics, including gravity. Put a friggin bend in the inlet! Needless to say, my VW has a bend to keep water out. German engineering at its finest (although the air conditioned glove compartment is pretty awesome too).

My wife drove her 09 Ford Escape home yesterday and literally drove through a flash flood of water. Wasn't her fault

Forgiving husband! :lol:

First, has anyone here ever dealt with having a complete engine replacement due to a non-accident catastrophic failure? I've already started a comprehensive insurance claim on the thing. Is there a chance that the car would be "totaled" due to the cost of replacement?

In the two cases where I knew someone who had a similar incident, the car was considered totaled both times.

Had an F-150 that did the same thing. Now this was about 10 years ago, but I had to pony up the $ for a new engine...about 4K. I only did this because the vehicle was paid off. But I was going through a large puddle and let off the gas, and when I did it sucked water into the engine. After I got it started, it ran for about a week before it died.

In the two cases where I knew someone who had a similar incident, the car was considered totaled both times.

It's only a 2009 though; the cost of repair probably won't total out the vehicle.

A coworker just got caught in a flash flood a few weeks ago. They're replacing all sorts of things (including the engine), but the car isn't being totaled out.

FWIW.

Forgiving husband! :lol:

Hey, I don't fault her one bit. She was driving through about 1" of water when it was flash flooded, Biblical style. It was definitely not her fault. She was driving about 20mph when the water rushed up to about her lower bumper. The water must have formed a bow wave and gone up over the radiator where the intake is.

I'm honestly hoping for MORE damage than just the engine so that it gets totaled out and we can get a new car.

My wife drove her 09 Ford Escape home yesterday and literally drove through a flash flood of water.

If you got water in the interior I wouldn't want the car, mold. Plus you will have electrical issues from corrosion. Take a settlement and buy another Escape. I know you love the car, but I suspect Ford built at least a couple.............hundred thousand, so you should be able to find something

If you got water in the interior I wouldn't want the car, mold. Plus you will have electrical issues from corrosion. Take a settlement and buy another Escape. I know you love the car, but I suspect Ford built at least a couple.............hundred thousand, so you should be able to find something

+1

Had a friend total his Civic due to flooding. Engine had to be replaced, wiring was corroded, and upholstry took water (interior of the car smelt like mildew).

Take the money and run

Tough break... What will insurance do?

Anyway... Should have had the Jeep (that is why there are drain plugs on the floor) with the snorkle kit on it!

What about the trans Corp? Was it automatic... If so, water might have made its way through the breather. ??

Rule of thumb is that you can go as high as the rims/tires before exposing the air intake. When fording (if even attempted)... Keep a nice steady speed and DO NOT STOP... Create a wake around the engine compartment... Again, DO NOT STOP until you are out of the water. Sometimes this means waiting till other traffic gets out of the way so as not to stop when in the water.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My wife drove her 09 Ford Escape home yesterday and literally drove through a flash flood of water. Wasn't her fault, but the engine died in the middle of the puddle. Oil and gas spilled everywhere, the air intake looks like a sewer grate. Obviously water got ingested into the engine and there was a blow out somewhere on the engine block or the crank case. I've resigned myself to the fact that the car will need a new engine, and possibly a new exhaust system (that was drooping too, possibly from the weight of water/gas/oil forced into it by the failed engine).

First, prepare that air intake valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Engine will need to be replaced as per the dealership. Now I'm waiting for the adjuster to get to the car on Friday to hopefully tell me that the electrical system is hosed and other undercarriage damage so that its totaled.

How deep was the water! :ph34r: The good thing is your wife got out safe!!! :worthy: :worthy:

On another note... It is an Escape... Should it be built a little like a an SUV?? You know, wiring up high and things sorta protected... Or am I thinking of the Explorer and other Fords in the SUV/ORV truck/car line??

How deep was the water! :ph34r: The good thing is your wife got out safe!!! :worthy: :worthy:

On another note... It is an Escape... Should it be built a little like a an SUV?? You know, wiring up high and things sorta protected... Or am I thinking of the Explorer and other Fords in the SUV/ORV truck/car line??

IIRC the Escape is a Mazda platform. Where the hell is Cincy to anwer these car questions?

Thanks. She was driving through rain and probably 1" or less standing water on the road. She went around a bend surrounded by hills on either side of the road. On the outside of the bend, there is a retaining pond on top of the hill. Literally, as she hit the curve, the pond breeched and dumped about 18 inches of water down on the road. The water was up to the top of her wheels. She obviously had no time to stop so she drove through it, made it about 3 feet before her car came to a dead stop. By the time she had gotten out of the car and walked around to grab our son, the water had already receded. She just wasn't meant to drive that car!!!

Edited by Corp000085

Thanks. She was driving through rain and probably 1" or less standing water on the road. She went around a bend surrounded by hills on either side of the road. On the outside of the bend, there is a retaining pond on top of the hill. Literally, as she hit the curve, the pond breeched and dumped about 18 inches of water down on the road. The water was up to the top of her wheels. She obviously had no time to stop so she drove through it, made it about 3 feet before her car came to a dead stop. By the time she had gotten out of the car and walked around to grab our son, the water had already receded. She just wasn't meant to drive that car!!!

WOW! Again, thank God the vehicle didn't break ground/taction and tip or something... And your son was in the car too! I posted before that I always mount one of those life hammers in the vehicle... If anything it may come in handy to cut a seat belt (has a knife on the end) off fast.

Sucks about the car, but could have been a lot worse!

WOW! Again, thank God the vehicle didn't break ground/taction and tip or something... And your son was in the car too! I posted before that I always mount one of those life hammers in the vehicle... If anything it may come in handy to cut a seat belt (has a knife on the end) off fast.

Sucks about the car, but could have been a lot worse!

Exactly. We are very lucky. Thanks for the concern!

First, prepare that air intake valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

What about ball bearings? I hear it's all ball bearings these days......