Its Official: Donte Whitner Is a Bust!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much crying in this topic. The guy played decent on a D that didn't...he lead the team in tackles by far today keep crying guys...you sound ignorant.

He had at least 2 drive stopping hits in the run game btw "Bills from NYC" you'll see that on your tape too...

Obviously he's not #9 talent...but he's by far the least of our problems and he's better than Ko Simpson.

No one is crying---- if you haven't noticed him arriving late on plays where he is responsible for contributing help to the cornerbacks, allowing big play after big play, and literally never making a big play* (or even an average play) consistently for his entire professional career to date--- then you're the one that is ignorant.

*he ran an INT 74 yards back for a TD against Tampa Bay last year and I think he had a pretty big INT against Brady in New England his rookie year... but that's it

of all the things to whine about, you pick this....get a friggin life.

Oh yeah, dont forget, Whitner has also failed to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice. :blink:

Wow, that's retarded. He is actually responsible for being a Strong Safety in the NFL. Today, he again failed at that responsibility. You can't really fault fans of the team for noticing that rather obvious fact.

Edwards is benched... let's all find another player to cry about. Oh you already did.

You will have to excuse us for whining about players who suck. I'm pretty sure me forking out cash every year for season tickets, gives me the right to complain about a crappy product.

I don't really get the problem with simply recognizing the obvious: Whitner has a good heart and all, he's just not a very good safety. It happens.

I don't see what you guys see in Whitner. The game I saw today, I saw Whitner making damn near every tackle on the field. At least he is on the damn field. Puslusny isn't even on the damn field most of the time, he does nothing that stands out when he is out there but he is not put on the hot seat like Whitner is. What about Jarius Byrd. The earlier poster referenced Whitner being slow but it was actually Byrd who was looking the opposite way and bad angle on that moss Td. What Whitner has made more plays this year than Byrd. Oh yes I said he has. Whitner is just easy to pick on because he talks stuff and his draft status. You guys are so easy to want to part ways with him but have you seen his potential replacement ...Scott?????? You are the same people who wanted Owens gone so that Johnson could start. Whitner is an average safety, I agree with that. He has not played up to his draft spot, I give you that. But so the hell what. I'll take him over other high profile players on our D.

I don't really get the problem with simply recognizing the obvious: Whitner has a good heart and all, he's just not a very good safety. It happens.

I have a good heart as well. Is it ok for the Bills to waste millions on me playing safety?

I don't see what you guys see in Whitner. The game I saw today, I saw Whitner making damn near every tackle on the field. At least he is on the damn field. Puslusny isn't even on the damn field most of the time, he does nothing that stands out when he is out there but he is not put on the hot seat like Whitner is. What about Jarius Byrd. The earlier poster referenced Whitner being slow but it was actually Byrd who was looking the opposite way and bad angle on that moss Td. What Whitner has made more plays this year than Byrd. Oh yes I said he has. Whitner is just easy to pick on because he talks stuff and his draft status. You guys are so easy to want to part ways with him but have you seen his potential replacement ...Scott?????? You are the same people who wanted Owens gone so that Johnson could start. Whitner is an average safety, I agree with that. He has not played up to his draft spot, I give you that. But so the hell what. I'll take him over other high profile players on our D.

Maybe he is just more visible. The play ends and then you see the number 20 Bills jersey enter the picture.

I have a good heart as well. Is it ok for the Bills to waste millions on me playing safety?

Maybe he is just more visible. The play ends and then you see the number 20 Bills jersey enter the picture.

Huh? I'm obviously not defending Whitner as evidenced by my previous posts on this very page of the thread. I'm saying it's obvious he's not a good safety and there shouldn't be any problem in pointing that out.

The point of this thread is that Donte Whitner is "officially a bust". You yourself mention he is "an average safety". Average safeties are not drafted in the top 10... this is what identifies him as a bust. He makes tackles down the field because our linebacking crew is suspect (his hit/tackle on Hernandez was really nice, though). Whitner was definitely late to cover on the 2 Moss TDs, which is unacceptable for him to do on such a consistent basis.

If Jairus Byrd is given any leeway for liabilities in his coverage responsibilities it is because he has, in less than one full season, proven to be ballhawk capable of making big plays. How many interceptions does Donte have since his career began in 2006?

Edited by Punch

Byrd sometimes has problems against the run and didn't play that well today either however he has done more in a single season than Whitner has done in his entire career. Byrd makes plays as was evident in all his interceptions last year and his fumble recovery today. Byrd has shown the ability to be a game changer in playing less than a full year than what Whitner has done with his tenure with the Bills so far. Elite safeties are playmakers and intimidating which show the ability to have impact on the outcome of games - neither qualities Whitner has shown with his super high draft status. In fact he was a liability today.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

He couldn't cover anybody. He went the wrong way on a simple post and gsve up a TD, and worst of all shied away from contact on the 5 yard TD run in the mid 4th quarter. If anyone doesn't believe me I ask you to watch the tape.

But as to the OP yes, he is a bust; he was always a bust. Yeah, I know.....he didn't draft himself. Dopey Dick Levy gets credit for that. But he is a big mouth, and a small player with diminishing skills and effort.

He belongs on the bench and special teams.

Most. Predictable. Thing. Ever.

Bill from NYC posting in an Donte Whitner thread? Nah, never happen.

Edited by Joe In Macungie

Um yea but he blew coverage twice for two TDs. the quick slant he was suppsoed to help the corner over the top but he bit on the run. Thats why the corner turns around and gives him the wtf look. On the other TD he just was too slow to keep up on the post.

He's bad man hes bad. Making tackles downfield who cares.

The thing is he was drafted by the last dynamic duo as a character guy who would be the cornerstone and leader of their defense. By their own admission, they were trying to be ahead of the curve, think out of the box, and build an elite team around a great safety that would elevate the team.

3.5 seasons later, both Dick and Marv were gone. That doesn't correct the mistake, but it speaks volumes about the quality of the decisions they made.

Of course, it's not Donte's fault that he's just another guy at a position that has almost no effect on the W-L column when a team can't control the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. It's not his fault that he's always been an undersized box safety and was poorly scouted as being something he isn't.