Lynch named 'starter' ---Jackson still workhorse

BillsFanInLV

I believe that Lynch listed as a 'starter' may only be a ploy to divert NE's attention away from the true starter, Fred Jackson.

Jackson had 140 total yards against NE in week one 2009 and followed up with another

110 total yards later in the year. Fred has been very successful against the Pats and I can't see why he wouldn't get the bulk of touches this week.

Granted, being named the 'starter' means you play the firt offensive down, however I believe Fred Jackson will be the workhorse this week.

If Lynch starts and wears down the defense I can see Fred coming in the second half with a fresh set of legs, a ton of carries and really having his way with the NE defense.

Just my thoughts.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Lynch listed as a 'starter' may only be a ploy to divert NE's attention away from the true starter, Fred Jackson.

Jackson had 140 total yards against NE in week one 2009 and followed up with another

110 total yards later in the year. Fred has been very successful against the Pats and I can't see why he wouldn't get the bulk of touches this week.

Granted, being named the 'starter' means you play the firt offensive down, however I believe Fred Jackson will be the workhorse this week.

If Lynch starts and wears down the defense I can see Fred coming in the second half with a fresh set of legs, a ton of carries and really having his way with the NE defense.

Just my thoughts.

I think they are insane not to use Spiller for many touches per game....any and every game. I don't care if he is averaging 1.1 YPC, he is the guy who with just a sliver of daylight can take it to the house on any play. The more touches he gets, the greated the possibilities for 6 points on any given play !

You may be right. But I don't think it's crazy to assume utilizing Lynch in a starter's role is an effective way to raise his profile in 2010 for potential trade offers. Not prioritizing the opportunity to "showcase" him exactly, but so long as the Bills offensive assets are in the backfield they may as well get the most out of them on the field.

I think they are insane not to use Spiller for many touches per game....any and every game. I don't care if he is averaging 1.1 YPC, he is the guy who with just a sliver of daylight can take it to the house on any play. The more touches he gets, the greated the possibilities for 6 points on any given play !

Without a doubt Spiller should be a bigger part of the offense. It may take a back like him a few more carries to properly get into the flow of the game. Bringing him along slowly is okay, but invisibly is wrong for 1,000 different reasons.

My hope is that they're still showcasing Marshawn and Freddy for a trade before the bye week. I think they know they have a special talent in Spiller, and they can put him on the shelf until they need him. This is the best case scenario in my opinion.

All good points.

Maybe Chan is adjusting the line-up (Parish at #2 WR, Lynch RB #1) to give Bilicheck and his Defense more to have to game-plan/adjust to.

Roscoe's speed and shiftyness to a young CB demands a different type of pregame planning to a big physical WR. If Roscoe 'starts' as the #2 and then is quickly replaced with David Nelson we may have decent results until adjustments can be made by the Defense.

Same goes for game the Defensive game planning for Lynch's style of running, only to be bombarded by Spiller and Fred Jackson and their respective styles. Then once the Defense starts shutting these players down, back to Parish and Lynch. A defense can only practice and study so much in one week.

Sounds great on paper, huh? :blush:

Call me crazy but I liked the "Water Bug" package I saw against Miami.

It looked like they only ran 1 or 2 plays with no QB and Lynch, Jackson and Spiller in the backfield.

I don't think Ed Fitzwards much as QB. We're better off going old school option for a 10-15 plays and see if it gets us anywhere.

Put the hands in your play makers. Then when the defense plays up see if Roscoe can hit Evans deep on an end around option pass.

Gotta try something different since 19 of the last 20 times we faced the Gatriots we couldn't get a Win.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

ESPN Fantasy info said Spiller would have been rookie of the year. Untill the Bills drafted him. Probably the only team that would try to "limit touches" verses try to get him the ball more.

all goes back to the oline. they need a running back that can block because the line can't. he can't make decent runs on a consistent basis because there are no holes and he's not a power runner. makes you wonder why they took him instead of a tackle or almost any other player at a position of need. if they thought he'd be helpful here and now, they'd use him. they don't. wonder if they considered this at draft time.

Well, there's a depth chart and somebody needs to be "named" starter. It doesn't seem to really matter who is technically the starter for this team as they will all be featured depending on the opponent and situation. But "naming" Lynch the starter insures his name is out there, like I said, for perceived trade value. I'm certain other teams (as well as the media) will take in consideration the fact that Lynch isn't being used by a last place team struggling on offense when assessing his potential value. I'm certain the Bills have been contacted by teams other than Green Bay (maybe New Orleans or Seattle) and they're in no rush to ship him out.

Just my thoughts.

A "PLOY" is used by a good team to fool another good team. What possible effect could this ploy have on the game? Absolutely none. Lynch has been running hard and should start all year and get the majority of carries. Spiller with this line is a waste.