With The 1st Pick of The 2011 Draft Buffalo Takes ????

T master

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more Stanford products! Anyway they probably take Ingram and say he was the Best player on board. And yet another RB.

Why? Do you realize Trent Edwards was there when Stanford was really bad and the program under Harbaugh is totally different than when Edwards was there. That Luck grew up in Texas & other places, not California. That there once was a QB at Stanford named John Elway. Going by your logic we should never draft a player from the college where someone at that position who was drafted in the 3rd round failed. :wallbash:

I would draft either Luck or Mallet depending on how they perform the rest of the way during their respected seasons. There's a QB out of Nevada "Colin Kaepernick" that is intriging but I don't think he's a sure thing by any means. He has a rocket for an arm, he's big and he runs like Vick. If we get a guy like Kolb in here then maybe we grab a tackle but without a QB things will never get better. We need to draft about 3 lineman in next years draft for sure but QB would be my first choice.

Any talk of DeMarcus Love, OT from Arkansas? Ryan Mallett would be a nice pick if Luck stays planted in college another year, but Love is a bona-fide stud at LT and has handled Mallett's blind-side this season with a high degree of success. He was a G, but made the move to LT because of his excellent strength and speed. It would enable us to use him at LT w/ Bell moving to the right, a position better suited for him as he has had issues with power rushers so far in his career. At least whoever starts at QB next year would see the man coming instead of getting Clay Matthews-ed 3 times a game w/o warning.

DeMarcus Love OT Arkansas. I don't know why I bother. We'll probably draft another safety or running back.

Just noticed yer post. I like your train of thought, but know where you come from w/ the low expectations of our FO. A franchise QB doesn't come around too often and it looks like their might be two in this draft (Luck, Mallett) with a 3rd (Locker) with high potential (boom/bust potential). That being said, if we take one of them, what is to stop them from getting dropped 6 times a game. We need OL help more than anyone in the league. Wood and Levitre (maybe?!) are the only two starters that I could see starting for another team. Bell is a back-up with potential and Hangartner is bench fodder. Green is, simply put, not worth the salary or space on the roster at this point. Is Jamon Meredith that bad that we have to continue to watch a Raiders (!!!!) cast-off start for us at RT?

Edited by VanCity

Wait, why are we drafting #1 again? Are they using the ESPN rankings because of the uncapped year?

Last I checked there were eight 0-2 teams, so with our luck the strength of schedule will break us to a #8 pick and we can get a new strong safety. :wallbash:

Or maybe we will have to play out the next 14 games and the rest of the season won't be quite how we are expecting. I'm glad they moved the draft back from October to the spring, because I was starting to get stressed about us having to vote so soon and risk making a collective mistake with our decision.

I want Mallet.... Even if he is the second coming of Bledsoe... I just want a qb who will throw more than 5 yards

I would draft either Luck or Mallet depending on how they perform the rest of the way during their respected seasons. There's a QB out of Nevada "Colin Kaepernick" that is intriging but I don't think he's a sure thing by any means. He has a rocket for an arm, he's big and he runs like Vick. If we get a guy like Kolb in here then maybe we grab a tackle but without a QB things will never get better. We need to draft about 3 lineman in next years draft for sure but QB would be my first choice.

He is a stud.... I actually hate UNR with a passion but this guy is a stud... Keep an eye on him this year... I would rather the Bills draft him then Locker

unless he gets hurt again, Bell is our LT. he's played pretty well, cut down on his penalties, and still doesn't have a full season yet.

if we're in top 5, it will be a QB then... not a RT. can get that at pick #33. =)

The problem with taking a QB is that if (a huge big wonkin IF) this QB is as good as lets say a Peyton Manning was then like Manning he propels Indy from a 3-13 record without him to a 3-13 record with him as this rookie QB learns the game (as almost all rookie QBs who are placed in a savior role must do).

I only see the Bills getting some return on a 1st round QB choice by 2012 (at best and this QB better have a quick release right from the start like Manning or this OL will get him killed if he is a great player but big windup guy like a Claussen) if he were to do what RoboQB did with Pitts and he was the one needed addition which made this team and SB winner.

I do not see the local media or a vocal group of fans who will simply set unreasonable expectations for this rookie QB to be our next savior that he likely will be doomed for failure.

It ultimately depends upon how this college season goes through the last game before a real choice can be made (for example McGahee was a consensus top 5 choice until he got Joe Theismanned in his last college game). Hpwever, in terms of generics it is really hard for me to see a choice of a QB with the first choice not simply condemning the Bills to not only an 11th year without the playoffs this year but pretty much assures a 12th year if we choose a QB and I am not sure how this team survives a dozen lackluster records in a row.

I was just wondering what way the Bills fans would go if we had (or might i say) when we have the 1st pick in next years draft .

Not that i have lost all hope yet :cry: , but with the general thought in the media and around the league being what it is i'm trying to be realistic .

I for one am thinking our best pick would be Ryan Mallet (if he comes out) he's got a strong arm - gun slinger type mentality - tall and athletic , the only short coming that i've read about is he needs to work on his accuracy .

Jake Lockers stock is dropping pretty quickly seeing his performance this ear has been less than stellar . If Mallets not there at #1 then i'm not sure where i'd go.

But i know you all will tell me where to go cause i always feel the love from the Bills faithful .

So what's your pick ?????

Depending on how the QBs fall out, I think the first two picks (in no order right now) have to be OLB and QB. Before the season started the only player on the team I thought could stop us from drafting a QB in round 1 was Trent Edwards playing like Payton Manning. Little did anyone suspect that it would be Chris Kelsey's play that potentially forces us to take an OLB #1; he's just awful at what they ask him to do. Don't get me wrong - I want a new QB as early as possible, I just don't know if it makes more sense to go QB then OLB or OLB then QB. I think LT has fallen off the absolute needs list and onto the probable needs list, which puts two or three positions ahead of it. I actually think we need an RT before an LT.

Any talk of DeMarcus Love, OT from Arkansas? Ryan Mallett would be a nice pick if Luck stays planted in college another year, but Love is a bona-fide stud at LT and has handled Mallett's blind-side this season with a high degree of success. He was a G, but made the move to LT because of his excellent strength and speed. It would enable us to use him at LT w/ Bell moving to the right, a position better suited for him as he has had issues with power rushers so far in his career. At least whoever starts at QB next year would see the man coming instead of getting Clay Matthews-ed 3 times a game w/o warning.

Just noticed yer post. I like your train of thought, but know where you come from w/ the low expectations of our FO. A franchise QB doesn't come around too often and it looks like their might be two in this draft (Luck, Mallett) with a 3rd (Locker) with high potential (boom/bust potential). That being said, if we take one of them, what is to stop them from getting dropped 6 times a game. We need OL help more than anyone in the league. Wood and Levitre (maybe?!) are the only two starters that I could see starting for another team. Bell is a back-up with potential and Hangartner is bench fodder. Green is, simply put, not worth the salary or space on the roster at this point. Is Jamon Meredith that bad that we have to continue to watch a Raiders (!!!!) cast-off start for us at RT?

I think the asnwer is becoming yes.

I have this mental block with Andew Luck because he is from stanford. having another stanford QB on our roster just makes me nervous.

I really honestly feel that this is a front office that would draft a wideout as our first pick.... I know we need a WR, but we of course have bigger needs (QB/pass rush). So that is what I am fearing, we draft a reciever with no QB to throw to him... unless we get a dececnt QB in round 2. But something tells me we get a reciever.... who is a playmaker.... who returns punts...

I have this mental block with Andew Luck because he is from stanford. having another stanford QB on our roster just makes me nervous.

I really honestly feel that this is a front office that would draft a wideout as our first pick.... I know we need a WR, but we of course have bigger needs (QB/pass rush). So that is what I am fearing, we draft a reciever with no QB to throw to him... unless we get a dececnt QB in round 2. But something tells me we get a reciever.... who is a playmaker.... who returns punts...

I get so frustrated when people say this. Just because one QB from Stanford sucked, doesn't mean that all of them do. John Elway went to Stanford. It makes no difference. You judge a player based on talent, not based on what state he was born in or what college he attended (unless of course the college was not a major D1 school, so his opponents would have been lower level talent).

Anyway. I have no idea if Luck will be any better than Trent, but just because they both went to Stanford does not mean he won't.

If you all vote me in for the G.M. position then here is what I would give to you.

1- I would get a trade done for Jackson by week 5.

2- I would cut Edwards, he needs to just be gone.

3- I would sign two decent free agents to help the defense and one WR.

4- In the draft I would do the following, assuming we have a top 3 pick.

With the first pick I take QB

Then I trade my two 3rd round picks to get back into 1st round and get stud LT

2nd round I go RT

4th round I go Center

5th round I go another QB

6th and 7th round I go depth, or best available player.

We have to get the QB and Offensive Line fixed. Please vote me into G.M. I know what I am doing..! 0:)

The problem with taking a QB is that if (a huge big wonkin IF) this QB is as good as lets say a Peyton Manning was then like Manning he propels Indy from a 3-13 record without him to a 3-13 record with him as this rookie QB learns the game (as almost all rookie QBs who are placed in a savior role must do).

I only see the Bills getting some return on a 1st round QB choice by 2012 (at best and this QB better have a quick release right from the start like Manning or this OL will get him killed if he is a great player but big windup guy like a Claussen) if he were to do what RoboQB did with Pitts and he was the one needed addition which made this team and SB winner.

I do not see the local media or a vocal group of fans who will simply set unreasonable expectations for this rookie QB to be our next savior that he likely will be doomed for failure.

It ultimately depends upon how this college season goes through the last game before a real choice can be made (for example McGahee was a consensus top 5 choice until he got Joe Theismanned in his last college game). Hpwever, in terms of generics it is really hard for me to see a choice of a QB with the first choice not simply condemning the Bills to not only an 11th year without the playoffs this year but pretty much assures a 12th year if we choose a QB and I am not sure how this team survives a dozen lackluster records in a row.

How is your bolded statement unique to the QB position? What did Aaron Maybin do last season to help the Bills improve their record? What has Spiller done so far this year to help the Bills win games? Leodis McKelvin looks good now, but I don't remember him setting the world on fire as a rookie CB. Even Orlando Pace often struggled as a rookie.

A lot of rookie players, at a lot of positions, aren't going to play all that well. It's also somewhat safe to say that Fitzpatrick isn't exactly a threat to unseat Peyton Manning as the game's best current quarterback. Put another way, the 2011 Bills aren't likely to get strong play from the QB position almost no matter what they do. They could always sign some second-tier free agent as a starter. But they could do that anyway even with a first round QB on their roster. Rookie QBs should remain firmly on the bench, as Carson Palmer did after being chosen first overall by the Bengals.

If I were the Bills, one quarterback I would strongly consider is Ponder. He is a polished pocket passer, and is considerably more NFL-ready than many other QBs considered first round prospects. His accuracy, ability to read defenses, and to see multiple reads is something this team could really use. If the Bills are lucky enough to get the first overall pick, there is a chance of being able to trade down a bit and still ending up with Ponder. Then the Bills' second round pick could be used on a RT; thereby solidifying two of the most important positions on offense for many years to come.

If you all vote me in for the G.M. position then here is what I would give to you.

1- I would get a trade done for Jackson by week 5.

2- I would cut Edwards, he needs to just be gone.

3- I would sign two decent free agents to help the defense and one WR.

4- In the draft I would do the following, assuming we have a top 3 pick.

With the first pick I take QB

Then I trade my two 3rd round picks to get back into 1st round and get stud LT

2nd round I go RT

4th round I go Center

5th round I go another QB

6th and 7th round I go depth, or best available player.

We have to get the QB and Offensive Line fixed. Please vote me into G.M. I know what I am doing..! 0:)

You would just ignore the fact that we lack 3-4 personnel and draft offensive players only? Nah, we need a GM with an actual legit plan, hopefully Buddy is working it out.