State of the union...

Alphadawg7

I think Chan might have gotten a little overexcited about the shiny new toy when he named Spiller the starter. It also was probably an effort to justify the pick. But clearly Spiller is not ready for the speed of the NFL yet and Chan needed to pull him back. I think Chan will find ways to use Spiller in situations that fit his skillset and allow him to get acclimated to the NFL before he tries to put the full workload on him again.

Spiller is a talented kid with a bright future as long as they figure out how to ease him in and not ruin his confidence.

i agree to a point.

the trouble is, Spiller was supposed to be used more like a Chris Johnson not a Reggie Bush. and the Bills and everyone touted how he's unafraid to run between the tackles.

i realize it's very early, but this is something that should be monitored, given that Spiller is supposed to be a key building block for this offense.

jw

Have to disagree, if Fitzpatrick started in Game one, buffalo would be 1-1

Buffalo could have beated Miami

No Guarantee Fitz beats the Phins. They were bringing a lot of pressure. Fitz with his accuracy issues would have not as easily made the TD toss to Parrish and he also struggles last seaon to sustain drives.

The only difference I am sure about is that Fitz would have thrown the d*mn ball downfield in the last two series, but it is hard to argue that TE was the sole cause of the loss and even harder to argue Fitz is good enough he would have taken the game over and produced a W.

Remember you are only trading a timid, accurate passer for a gritty inaccurate passer. It will surely result in more chances taken, but not necessarily a higher total number of successes.

But hey... As was the case with Trent, Fitz is the starter so lets hope he brings the spark the team needs.

Here is the real state of the union;

-Our qb still sucks

-We have no number 2 reciever

-Our O line is not improving

-we have no pass rush

-we have NO stud LB

-TE is a massive problem

-we have 3 RB's that are struggling

-and no idea how to get to manageable 3rd downs

all that said, still way to early to comment on gaily

:blush:

You obviously think the QB situation is far and away our biggest problem. Can't say that I agree (lines as I see it), but OK. I can see some good thought and logic in your post.

But this my friend almost made me pee myself from laughing ...

Do you seriously think Nix needed a[nother] year to familiarize himself with these players? And as for Gailey, you don't think the film from the previous N years ... and particularly last year which was the same freaking players for the most part ... was not enough for him to know what he has got? He is an offensive genius after all. You can almost make a case for the defensive side of the ball, but not quite. It was painfully obviously to everyone here, in the media, and in the league that Buffalo did not have the players for a 3-4. Making lineman into linebackers to see how they would do? That's how they familiarize themselves with the players?

You are rationalizing, in a monumental way, the lack of off season action by the Bills. The 2010 season should have been a rebuilding year. Instead it was a wasted year in my opinion.

Seriously, what QB or offensive tackle would you have brought in? They have to be available to have a shot at getting them.

[

You obviously think the QB situation is far and away our biggest problem. Can't say that I agree (lines as I see it), but OK. I can see some good thought and logic in your post.

But this my friend almost made me pee myself from laughing ...

Do you seriously think Nix needed a[nother] year to familiarize himself with these players? And as for Gailey, you don't think the film from the previous N years ... and particularly last year which was the same freaking players for the most part ... was not enough for him to know what he has got? He is an offensive genius after all. You can almost make a case for the defensive side of the ball, but not quite. It was painfully obviously to everyone here, in the media, and in the league that Buffalo did not have the players for a 3-4. Making lineman into linebackers to see how they would do? That's how they familiarize themselves with the players?

You are rationalizing, in a monumental way, the lack of off season action by the Bills. The 2010 season should have been a rebuilding year. Instead it was a wasted year in my opinion.

For me it's a toss-up as to whether our LB or QB situation is the bigger problem. And I'd have to say QB because there are very few who can handle excelling in the NFL, whereas you can build a decent LB core without having a superstar. Also, it usually takes 2-4 years to prepare a QB to succeed in the NFL.

As far as the "rebuilding", it seems obvious to me that Buddy and Chan realized 1. It was going to take more than 1 year to fix, especially when changing your defensive system. and 2. There are a lot of young guys on this team with upside potential so why not see if they will develop while other positions are addressed?

Defensive line seems adequate at this point which is actually a positive considering the overhaul. This seemed to be the priority of the draft and so far it's turned out okay.

Offensive line is still trying to adjust to the scheme, despite Stroud's quote about it not being the scheme. They are thinking too much and failing to adjust to defensive stunts. I think it's better to not judge this group until mid/second half of the season when they can stop thinking so much and just play. Bell hasn't looked too bad to me (improving), Cordero Howard seemed to do ok, Cornell Green does need to be replaced though. Early in the year, I really believe Nix felt Bell will develop, Levitre + Wood are good young players, Hangartner is a solid (though not spectacular) player and Butler is a smart, solid player. Then Butler retired. That really threw a wrench into the plan. So instead of one big question mark on the o-line we've unexpectedly got 2. Still not that bad to me.

LB's though. Poz is a huge question mark being injury prone, Davis is ok. OLB is a huge question mark, be nice if Ellis is decent but really we need Maybin to step up before the end of the year and develop into at least a decent OLB capable of making a few big plays. That would really help a lot moving forward into next year's draft.

QB situation isn't worth discussing given all the countless debates.

This year's going to suck for at least the first half. Our frustation is so high from these past 10 years but I wish people would keep a perspective on this year and not be so reactionnary this early in the rebuilding year. It's going to take time.

[

For me it's a toss-up as to whether our LB or QB situation is the bigger problem. And I'd have to say QB because there are very few who can handle excelling in the NFL, whereas you can build a decent LB core without having a superstar. Also, it usually takes 2-4 years to prepare a QB to succeed in the NFL.

As far as the "rebuilding", it seems obvious to me that Buddy and Chan realized 1. It was going to take more than 1 year to fix, especially when changing your defensive system. and 2. There are a lot of young guys on this team with upside potential so why not see if they will develop while other positions are addressed?

Defensive line seems adequate at this point which is actually a positive considering the overhaul. This seemed to be the priority of the draft and so far it's turned out okay.

Offensive line is still trying to adjust to the scheme, despite Stroud's quote about it not being the scheme. They are thinking too much and failing to adjust to defensive stunts. I think it's better to not judge this group until mid/second half of the season when they can stop thinking so much and just play. Bell hasn't looked too bad to me (improving), Cordero Howard seemed to do ok, Cornell Green does need to be replaced though. Early in the year, I really believe Nix felt Bell will develop, Levitre + Wood are good young players, Hangartner is a solid (though not spectacular) player and Butler is a smart, solid player. Then Butler retired. That really threw a wrench into the plan. So instead of one big question mark on the o-line we've unexpectedly got 2. Still not that bad to me.

LB's though. Poz is a huge question mark being injury prone, Davis is ok. OLB is a huge question mark, be nice if Ellis is decent but really we need Maybin to step up before the end of the year and develop into at least a decent OLB capable of making a few big plays. That would really help a lot moving forward into next year's draft.

QB situation isn't worth discussing given all the countless debates.

This year's going to suck for at least the first half. Our frustation is so high from these past 10 years but I wish people would keep a perspective on this year and not be so reactionnary this early in the rebuilding year. It's going to take time.

It really isn't a tossup- if you have a weakness, the opponent will find it and exploit it. We have a dearth of talent at almost every position. Except for Byrd, who do we have that makes a difference on defense? Aside for our RB's, what do we really have on offense? We need to move either Lynch or Jackson for a starter or draft picks. We are in full rebuild mode.

We can change coaches and QBs every week- it won't help

It really isn't a tossup- if you have a weakness, the opponent will find it and exploit it. We have a dearth of talent at almost every position. Except for Byrd, who do we have that makes a difference on defense? Aside for our RB's, what do we really have on offense? We need to move either Lynch or Jackson for a starter or draft picks. We are in full rebuild mode.

We can change coaches and QBs every week- it won't help

I haven't seen Byrd make a difference on defense this year. Does that now mean he's not that talented? Certainly opponents will exploit weaknesses but that doesn't mean there's a dearth of talent at every position. Lee seems pretty talented, as does Roscoe. Our defensive secondary seems pretty talented also. Nix and the coaching staff think Bell is a talent. Wood and Levitre seem to have a decent amount of talent. Part of the plan this year is to see who can develop their talents and be an impact player in this league. I don't have a problem moving Lynch or Jackson but don't be so quick to condemn this team so early in the year with a new coaching staff/new O&D systems.

I haven't seen Byrd make a difference on defense this year. Does that now mean he's not that talented? Certainly opponents will exploit weaknesses but that doesn't mean there's a dearth of talent at every position. Lee seems pretty talented, as does Roscoe. Our defensive secondary seems pretty talented also. Nix and the coaching staff think Bell is a talent. Wood and Levitre seem to have a decent amount of talent. Part of the plan this year is to see who can develop their talents and be an impact player in this league. I don't have a problem moving Lynch or Jackson but don't be so quick to condemn this team so early in the year with a new coaching staff/new O&D systems.

Wood and Levitre will be ok linemen if surrounded by talent. We don't have an NFL caliber offensive tackle. Evans is a good #2 WR and Parrish is a marginal #4 at best and is nowhere near as good as people think he is. We will have a top 3 pick, but I think we are headed in the right direction- I like our coaching staff, as I wanted Gailey to be hired when Levy retired.

state of bills= we suck denture leftovers

i like fitz

i like lynch

i like spiller

we have zero pass pressure. green bay will allow 3-5 sacks per game, for the entire remaining year. WE GOT ZERO!!!!

any team with a good passing attack will shred us.

we have a shot to win this game. but not a really good chance. lets be realistic.

state of bills= we suck denture leftovers

i like fitz

i like lynch

i like spiller

we have zero pass pressure. green bay will allow 3-5 sacks per game, for the entire remaining year. WE GOT ZERO!!!!

any team with a good passing attack will shred us.

we have a shot to win this game. but not a really good chance. lets be realistic.

I can't say I am a fan of Fitzpatrick. He isn't even a journeyman type player. We aren't very talented on defense, I agree

I think Chan might have gotten a little overexcited about the shiny new toy when he named Spiller the starter.  It also was probably an effort to justify the pick.   But clearly Spiller is not ready for the speed of the NFL yet and Chan needed to pull him back.   I think Chan will find ways to use Spiller in situations that fit his skillset and allow him to get acclimated to the NFL before he tries to put the full workload on him again.

Spiller is a talented kid with a bright future as long as they figure out how to ease him in and not ruin his confidence.

the main reason Spiller is not ready for the speed of NFL's defenses is that he practiced all off-season against the slow motion defense of the Bills.

another epic fail to waste another top 12 pick on a small skill player who can't make it onto the field.

Top 12 picks need to be challenging for the Pro-Bowl, not competing as kick returners.

Wasting the pick on a RB was bad enough, not being able to coach him up and design plays to utilize him is just criminal for this supposed offensive genius. 

Great post. That's my main problem, too. I have no fundamental problem with taking your lumps and rebuilding, and Nix was fairly clear that this was going to be a rebuilding year. But what rebuilding have we done? What are we building around? From the end of last season to right now, there's been only 1 move of significance on the O-line (Cornell Green), and zero change at QB. No TEs or WRs of any significance were acquired. There were a few pieces acquired on the defensive front 7 (Troup, Davis & Dwan Edwards [EDIT: forgot about Torbor & Ayodele]), but they're pieces of the puzzle, not guys you can build around. Maybe Troup will be, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Detroit was really bad last season, but their fans didn't mind so much, because they felt like they had 2 core pieces they could build around in Stafford & Megatron. The Rams are going to be terrible this year, but with Bradford under center, at least they & their fans feel like they've got something to build around. How about this Bills team? Who's our franchise player on either side of the ball? CJ Spiller is a change of pace back in a 3-way timeshare, so it's not him. What's our identity on defense? How about on offense? There's just nothing there. Nix was hired on New Year's Eve last year. In the ensuing 10 months (almost), almost nothing has been done to shore up the crumbling foundation of this team. That doesn't mean there's no hope for the future, or even that the current regime is incapable of shoring up that foundation. It's just depressing to know that the rebuilding was essentially extended by a full year because of this wasted offseason.

Cash, you are right on the money. I watched the Pats-Jets, Colts-Giants, and Saints-49ers games this weekend after the Bills game. (Have to record them because after a Bills loss I have to get away from the TV and go outside for awhile) But the thing I noticed about these teams except for the Giants was how many playmakers in the defensive front seven that everyone has. (I think the Giants D is living off of 2007, and Umenyora, Tuck, Kawanuka, and others are all dreadfully overrated and not worth a flip) But the other teams all had playmakers at just about every position on their front seven. We have none of that talent. No gamechangers whatsoever. I am sorry but bringing in guys like Andra Davis, Reggie Torbor and Dwan Edwards are complementary pieces and not game changers. Stroud is so past his prime, Williams would not start for any of the aforementioned teams except in a rotation on the Giants. Edwards the same. Troup, McCargo, Carrington, Spencer Johnson...Please Maybe Troup and Carrington can become something. But our vets are all marginal at best in today's NFL. Anyone who says otherwise is not watching the rest of the league. NONE of our LB's would start for a lot of teams and that includes POZ. As for offense, our O line is marginal at best. Bell, Merideth and Green should not be on an NFL roster. Our interior guys have potential, but are very inconsistent. (Levitre seems to get beat quite often for a guy everyone raves about) And we have no depth. And what about our skill players? Way to heavily loaded towards RB. We have NO gamechanging receivers. And that includes Lee my friends. I don't think he would be a #2 on a lot of teams. Completely non physical for an NFL receiver. We have NO Tight Ends. QB-all I can say is that this is Fitzie's chance to make a name for himself as a legitimate starter. I am a fan of his unlike most on here, but my fingers are crossed. But I like the way he plays the game.

My point is that Nix came in and made no legitimate moves to make this team good. He has done next to nothing. I think a lot of us on this board could have done a whole lot more if we could study the same film our GM and staff has looked at. It is like they purposely are not trying to move the team forward. Very very strange. Who takes a RB with the first pick when you already have two very good ones on your roster and there are tremendous needs at every other position than DB. We have awful LB's. And instead of finding some quality there, we bring in two guys from S Dakota State and James Madison and change their position. WTF is that?? And playing Kelsay at OLB when he has played DE his whole life is ridiculous. We are an embarrasment the way we have thrown this team together. Not ONE above average player at any position other than DB and RB. That is why we SUCK!! Nix should be ASHAMED!! I apologize for my controlled rant.

Cash, you are right on the money.  I watched the Pats-Jets, Colts-Giants, and Saints-49ers games this weekend after the Bills game.  (Have to record them because after a Bills loss I have to get away from the TV and go outside for awhile)  But the thing I noticed about these teams except for the Giants was how many playmakers in the defensive front seven that everyone has.  (I think the Giants D is living off of 2007, and Umenyora, Tuck, Kawanuka, and others are all dreadfully overrated and not worth a flip) But the other teams all had playmakers at just about every position on their front seven.  We have none of that talent.  No gamechangers whatsoever.  I am sorry but bringing in guys like Andra Davis, Reggie Torbor and Dwan Edwards are complementary pieces and not game changers.  Stroud is so past his prime, Williams would not start for any of the aforementioned teams except in a rotation on the Giants.  Edwards the same.  Troup, McCargo, Carrington, Spencer Johnson...Please  Maybe Troup and Carrington can become something.  But our vets are all marginal at best in today's NFL.  Anyone who says otherwise is not watching the rest of the league.  NONE of our LB's would start for a lot of teams and that includes POZ.  As for offense, our O line is marginal at best.  Bell, Merideth and Green should not be on an NFL roster.  Our interior guys have potential, but are very inconsistent.  (Levitre seems to get beat quite often for a guy everyone raves about) And we have no depth.  And what about our skill players?  Way to heavily loaded towards RB.  We have NO gamechanging receivers.  And that includes Lee my friends.  I don't think he would be a #2 on a lot of teams.  Completely non physical for an NFL receiver.  We have NO Tight Ends.  QB-all I can say is that this is Fitzie's chance to make a name for himself as a legitimate starter.  I am a fan of his unlike most on here, but my fingers are crossed.  But I like the way he plays the game.  

My point is that Nix came in and made no legitimate moves to make this team good.  He has done next to nothing.  I think a lot of us on this board could have done a whole lot more if we could study the same film our GM and staff has looked at.  It is like they purposely are not trying to move the team forward.  Very very strange.  Who takes a RB with the first pick when you already have two very good ones on your roster and there are tremendous needs at every other position than DB.  We have awful LB's.  And instead of finding some quality there, we bring in two guys from S Dakota State and James Madison and change their position.  WTF is that??  And playing Kelsay at OLB when he has played DE his whole life is ridiculous.  We are an embarrasment the way we have thrown this team together.  Not ONE above average player at any position other than DB and RB. That is why we SUCK!!   Nix should be ASHAMED!!  I apologize for my controlled rant.

this is completely true

not only did they fail to bring in much to improve the team - but they failed to simply make in expensive qualifying offers to Incognito and Scott, 2 restricted free agents who would have dramatically improved the crap we have on the OL right now. combined they would have cost less than the turnstyle- Cornell Green.

The talent evaluators and scouts for this team are just horrible.

Either they totally bombed on evaluating Spiller as a player - or the coaches totally crapped out in preparing the guy to play. RBs are the easiest to get involved early - but Spiller is now delegated to kick returner duties.

Total failure 

I dont think we can call 2010 a rebuilding year because we havent started rebuilding yet. We havent hit rock bottom yet. Hopefully next offseason we can start rebuilding, that is if Nix doesnt put it off for one more year so he can stack his Madden roster <_<