State of the union...

Alphadawg7

Seriously, you would think that nothing would surprise me on this board anymore, however, the drama queen reactions to every little thing still does. What happened the first 2 weeks and this week are neccessary to the growth of this team. So, lets run a state of the union address as to why and how its good for the Bills.

1. Chan Gailey: I have to give Chan credit. He came in here and said he was going to throw out everything from past seasons and give everyone a clean slate to win a starting job, including the QB's. He did just that and Trent is clear proof of that. This staff had no previous experience with these guys, so what they did in the old systems was irrelevant. Trent clearly emerged in practice and in a couple games in preseason, so you cant fault Chan for giving him first crack at it. That being said, Chan also quickly yanked him out when he realized that Trents past problems during real games wasnt just the old system and coaching, its Trent, and he yanked him now rather than mess around trying to fix what cant be fixed. Big KUDOS to Chan on this.

2. Edwards benched: This is the best move of the entire offseason and young regular season. This staff and the FO wanted to see if Trents issues were the circumstances or Trent. It didn't take long for Trents camp and preseason smoke screen to evaporate, and finally we can move on from his pussification and retardation of this offense. Is Fitz the answer, highly unlikely, but Trent completely cripples this offense.

3. We are 0-2: If anyone truly believed we were going to be a good team THIS year, then they were kidding themselves from the get go. Being 2-0 right now was never going to happen, 1-1 we had a shot at (thanks Trent) but no one can honestly say they thought we would beat the Packers who are substantially more talented than this team with an Elite QB.

4. 2010 Season: This IS, and ALWAYS has been, a REBUILDING year and a year for THIS staff to familiarize themselves with the players and evaluate our team going forward. Like many, I felt this team could surprise, but most of us knew that for that to happen a QB would have to emerge, otherwise we would be looking at a top 10 pick.

5. The QB's: Trent starting and failing was the best thing for this team as it leaves no question anymore. Now Fitz is up, and I love that Chan said this is a move going forward, but quickly follows that up with "for as long as we go in this direction." Clearly, if Fitz cant get it done he isnt afraid of going to Brohm. Again, another vote of confidence for me on Chan...This is exactly what this team needs, a coach who will not tolerate poor play and isnt going to hesitate to make changes.

6. Fitv vs Brohm: Why are people confused about this? Chan stated in his press conference that he is hoping Fitz's experience can help slow things down and spark the offense. Throwing an inexperienced prospect into this CHAOS right now would be just scary and could risk setting his development back. The offenses ineptness has left this staff crippled and unable to even establish a game plan.

7. The Spiller pick: Anyone who thinks Spiller isnt going to be a special player just hasnt been paying attention. This kid has a very bright future, and to ignore his talents because of the first 2 games where Trents ineffectiveness completely shut our offense down is just rediculous.

8. Lynch starting week 2: First, why do people care? We all agreed we had 3 starting RB's, so why is it good or bad that Fred starts, Lynch starts, or Spiller starts? They are all going to get touches, and we all knew this. So why are people over reacting to Chan trying to tinker with the rotation to find some flow? And if it was to showcase Lynch, then even better, as trading him would leave us with 2 good RB's still and would give us more talent elsewhere and/or draft picks to add more talent.

All in all, I think Chan is still the right guy and doing the right things for this team right now. Just my 2 cents...

You obviously think the QB situation is far and away our biggest problem. Can't say that I agree (lines as I see it), but OK. I can see some good thought and logic in your post.

But this my friend almost made me pee myself from laughing ...

2010 Season: This IS, and ALWAYS has been, a REBUILDING year and a year for THIS staff to familiarize themselves with the players and evaluate our team going forward.

Do you seriously think Nix needed a[nother] year to familiarize himself with these players? And as for Gailey, you don't think the film from the previous N years ... and particularly last year which was the same freaking players for the most part ... was not enough for him to know what he has got? He is an offensive genius after all. You can almost make a case for the defensive side of the ball, but not quite. It was painfully obviously to everyone here, in the media, and in the league that Buffalo did not have the players for a 3-4. Making lineman into linebackers to see how they would do? That's how they familiarize themselves with the players?

You are rationalizing, in a monumental way, the lack of off season action by the Bills. The 2010 season should have been a rebuilding year. Instead it was a wasted year in my opinion.

You obviously think the QB situation is far and away our biggest problem. Can't say that I agree (lines as I see it), but OK. I can see some good thought and logic in your post.

Do you seriously think Nix needed a[nother] year to familiarize himself with these players? And as for Gailey, you don't think the film from the previous N years ... and particularly last year which was the same freaking players for the most part ... was not enough for him to know what he has got? He is an offensive genius after all. You can almost make a case for the defensive side of the ball, but not quite. It was painfully obviously to everyone here, in the media, and in the league that Buffalo did not have the players for a 3-4. Making lineman into linebackers to see how they would do? That's how they familiarize themselves with the players?

You are rationalizing, in a monumental way, the lack of off season action by the Bills. The 2010 season should have been a rebuilding year. Instead it was a wasted year in my opinion.

Yes for Nix and Gailey. Can't have one say 'just trust me, he's good'.

3-4, see GB last year. 3-4 is a good switch going forward. Position switches come to see if they can hang. Stop your crying.

The season is a rebuilding year but I can see your point that it's already 'a wasted year in my opinion' two weeks into the season.

Actually, I'm just sorry that I even responded to you...

I think the fundamental issue here is you have a misunderstanding of what Nix does. Its NOT Nix who has to familiarize himself with the players, its Chan. Yes, Nix evaluates talent, but he does so for the needs of the staff. Chan is the one who evaluates the talent on this team every day for the system and schemes he is putting in place, not Nix. Nix's job is to go out and find players that match what Chan is trying to create and to add more talent to this team. So while you say Nix had last year, it is irrelevant in comparison to how they will fit in for Chan and how he can use them on the field.

So, this is, and always was, a year for Chan to familiarize himself with the personnel at all positions so he can determine who fits and who doesnt and Nix can then go out and evaluate talent to bring in to fill the holes Chan wants filled. Make no mistake, Chan wants to win and expects to win, but that doesnt change the fact that this year was about implementing new schemes and determining what players fit into those schemes. No one offseason or draft was going to fix this team in the first place.

And the part about flipping out that we changed to a 3-4 and didnt have the roster to do so...well, first off, the D hasnt been that bad and its not their fault they have been on the field so long. Secondly, that logic doesnt even make sense. You have to make the switch so you can see where your holes are. You cant fill holes in a 3-4 D when you dont even play a 3-4 D...so if you we are intending to be a 3-4 team then we have to make the switch now rather than later.

Edited by Alphadawg7

We had one of the highest player turnovers in the league. There are not a lot of high quality NFL players out there in the world. You can only find so many. I like who they did bring in, with the notable exception of Green who has been terrible. Every team has lots of mediocre players. We just have too many of them in important positions and not enough difference makers in others. There just weren't many difference makers available on the free agency market, and not necessarily in positions that we needed. But Torbor and Dwan Edwards are good and very good IMO.

Remember all of the crying about Campbell? He got benched faster than Trent Edwards, and that's hard to do. That's not the kind of acquisition that we need.

I think the fundamental issue here is you have a misunderstanding of what Nix does. Its NOT Nix who has to familiarize himself with the players, its Chan. Yes, Nix evaluates talent, but he does so for the needs of the staff. Chan is the one who evaluates the talent on this team every day for the system and schemes he is putting in place, not Nix. Nix's job is to go out and find players that match what Chan is trying to create and to add more talent to this team. So while you say Nix had last year, it is irrelevant in comparison to how they will fit in for Chan and how he can use them on the field.

So, this is, and always was, a year for Chan to familiarize himself with the personnel at all positions so he can determine who fits and who doesnt and Nix can then go out and evaluate talent to bring in to fill the holes Chan wants filled. Make no mistake, Chan wants to win and expects to win, but that doesnt change the fact that this year was about implementing new schemes and determining what players fit into those schemes. No one offseason or draft was going to fix this team in the first place.

And the part about flipping out that we changed to a 3-4 and didnt have the roster to do so...well, first off, the D hasnt been that bad and its not their fault they have been on the field so long. Secondly, that logic doesnt even make sense. You have to make the switch so you can see where your holes are. You cant fill holes in a 3-4 D when you dont even play a 3-4 D...so if you we are intending to be a 3-4 team then we have to make the switch now rather than later.

Nice post AD7. I've really been enjoying your posts.

No one offseason or draft was going to fix this team in the first place.

Absolutely agree. I would have liked to see some kind of action though instead of fielding essentially the same team this season instead of having Gailey take his own look from the sideline versus evaluating last years film.

As far as the 3-4, I do agree that is the right move going forward. But having personal that fit a scheme to me makes more sense that trying to fit round pegs into square holes and calling it a 3-4. But if that is their rebuilding process, then OK.

The season is a rebuilding year but I can see your point that it's already 'a wasted year in my opinion' two weeks into the season.

Not 2 weeks in. 18 weeks in, particularly on offense.

Actually, I'm just sorry that I even responded to you...

Well that's one thing we agree on.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Great post. That's my main problem, too. I have no fundamental problem with taking your lumps and rebuilding, and Nix was fairly clear that this was going to be a rebuilding year. But what rebuilding have we done? What are we building around? From the end of last season to right now, there's been only 1 move of significance on the O-line (Cornell Green), and zero change at QB. No TEs or WRs of any significance were acquired. There were a few pieces acquired on the defensive front 7 (Troup, Davis & Dwan Edwards [EDIT: forgot about Torbor & Ayodele]), but they're pieces of the puzzle, not guys you can build around. Maybe Troup will be, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Detroit was really bad last season, but their fans didn't mind so much, because they felt like they had 2 core pieces they could build around in Stafford & Megatron. The Rams are going to be terrible this year, but with Bradford under center, at least they & their fans feel like they've got something to build around. How about this Bills team? Who's our franchise player on either side of the ball? CJ Spiller is a change of pace back in a 3-way timeshare, so it's not him. What's our identity on defense? How about on offense? There's just nothing there. Nix was hired on New Year's Eve last year. In the ensuing 10 months (almost), almost nothing has been done to shore up the crumbling foundation of this team. That doesn't mean there's no hope for the future, or even that the current regime is incapable of shoring up that foundation. It's just depressing to know that the rebuilding was essentially extended by a full year because of this wasted offseason.

Edited by Cash

I have no fundamental problem with taking your lumps and rebuilding, and Nix was fairly clear that this was going to be a rebuilding year. But what rebuilding have we done? What are we building around? From the end of last season to right now, there's been only 1 move of significance on the O-line (Cornell Green), and zero change at QB. No TEs or WRs of any significance were acquired. There were a few pieces acquired on the defensive front 7 (Troup, Davis & Dwan Edwards [EDIT: forgot about Torbor & Ayodele]), but they're pieces of the puzzle, not guys you can build around. Maybe Troup will be, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Well said and you are correct. The first step of a rebuild would be a solid foundation to build on and right now we do not have one. Maybe last years draft pool sucked so bad they saw no foundation and took Spiller because they figured they could make use of him some day. I guess at this point we wait, watch, and hope. Nothing new for Bills fans.

Seriously, you would think that nothing would surprise me on this board anymore, however, the drama queen reactions to every little thing still does. What happened the first 2 weeks and this week are neccessary to the growth of this team. So, lets run a state of the union address as to why and how its good for the Bills.

1. Chan Gailey: I have to give Chan credit. He came in here and said he was going to throw out everything from past seasons and give everyone a clean slate to win a starting job, including the QB's. He did just that and Trent is clear proof of that. This staff had no previous experience with these guys, so what they did in the old systems was irrelevant. Trent clearly emerged in practice and in a couple games in preseason, so you cant fault Chan for giving him first crack at it. That being said, Chan also quickly yanked him out when he realized that Trents past problems during real games wasnt just the old system and coaching, its Trent, and he yanked him now rather than mess around trying to fix what cant be fixed. Big KUDOS to Chan on this.

2. Edwards benched: This is the best move of the entire offseason and young regular season. This staff and the FO wanted to see if Trents issues were the circumstances or Trent. It didn't take long for Trents camp and preseason smoke screen to evaporate, and finally we can move on from his pussification and retardation of this offense. Is Fitz the answer, highly unlikely, but Trent completely cripples this offense.

3. We are 0-2: If anyone truly believed we were going to be a good team THIS year, then they were kidding themselves from the get go. Being 2-0 right now was never going to happen, 1-1 we had a shot at (thanks Trent) but no one can honestly say they thought we would beat the Packers who are substantially more talented than this team with an Elite QB.

4. 2010 Season: This IS, and ALWAYS has been, a REBUILDING year and a year for THIS staff to familiarize themselves with the players and evaluate our team going forward. Like many, I felt this team could surprise, but most of us knew that for that to happen a QB would have to emerge, otherwise we would be looking at a top 10 pick.

5. The QB's: Trent starting and failing was the best thing for this team as it leaves no question anymore. Now Fitz is up, and I love that Chan said this is a move going forward, but quickly follows that up with "for as long as we go in this direction." Clearly, if Fitz cant get it done he isnt afraid of going to Brohm. Again, another vote of confidence for me on Chan...This is exactly what this team needs, a coach who will not tolerate poor play and isnt going to hesitate to make changes.

6. Fitv vs Brohm: Why are people confused about this? Chan stated in his press conference that he is hoping Fitz's experience can help slow things down and spark the offense. Throwing an inexperienced prospect into this CHAOS right now would be just scary and could risk setting his development back. The offenses ineptness has left this staff crippled and unable to even establish a game plan.

7. The Spiller pick: Anyone who thinks Spiller isnt going to be a special player just hasnt been paying attention. This kid has a very bright future, and to ignore his talents because of the first 2 games where Trents ineffectiveness completely shut our offense down is just rediculous.

8. Lynch starting week 2: First, why do people care? We all agreed we had 3 starting RB's, so why is it good or bad that Fred starts, Lynch starts, or Spiller starts? They are all going to get touches, and we all knew this. So why are people over reacting to Chan trying to tinker with the rotation to find some flow? And if it was to showcase Lynch, then even better, as trading him would leave us with 2 good RB's still and would give us more talent elsewhere and/or draft picks to add more talent.

All in all, I think Chan is still the right guy and doing the right things for this team right now. Just my 2 cents...

Dog you are right on the money. The planets must be aligned or something because we actually agree. I am reminded of an obscure song by Marylin Manson and the Sneaker Pimps called "Long hard road out of hell". There are sadly no quick fixes but we need to see signs of change and progress. My only complaint possibly is that Chan may have moved too slowly. There was no way this team beats Green Bay but we could have lost looking effective and shown some promise for the future as opposed to an even greater level of failure and ineptitude. I understand the philosophy of throwing out the past and making your own judgment but there was just too much bad game tape and poor stats on Edwards to ignore in my opinion.

We are usually duke-ing it out but great post!

If the GM and coach were REALLY treating this like a rebuilding year, we'd have traded Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch already for some real help on EITHER of our Lines.

You make your team better by acquiring talent not getting rid of it.

Have to disagree, if Fitzpatrick started in Game one, buffalo would be 1-1

Buffalo could have beated Miami

We'll never know but we would have had a MUCH better shot at it.

I think the OP is on the money here. Now I just wish Buddy and Chan would finish the benchings and play our young guys take our lumps this year. With a possible "no season" next year, we should be playing our young guys and giving them prescious game experience. We also may end up with a top five draft pick two years running if there is no season next year. Play the kids.....

Dog you are right on the money. The planets must be aligned or something because we actually agree. I am reminded of an obscure song by Marylin Manson and the Sneaker Pimps called "Long hard road out of hell". There are sadly no quick fixes but we need to see signs of change and progress. My only complaint possibly is that Chan may have moved too slowly. There was no way this team beats Green Bay but we could have lost looking effective and shown some promise for the future as opposed to an even greater level of failure and ineptitude. I understand the philosophy of throwing out the past and making your own judgment but there was just too much bad game tape and poor stats on Edwards to ignore in my opinion.

We are usually duke-ing it out but great post!

LOL...Maybe I should go buy some lotto tickets or something then... :beer:

I agree with everything you said, and I hope you are right about the Fitz over Brohm thing. I hope Brohm is starting by the bye week. I'd like to find out if we need a QB this spring or if he will fill the bill.

I agree with everything you said, and I hope you are right about the Fitz over Brohm thing. I hope Brohm is starting by the bye week. I'd like to find out if we need a QB this spring or if he will fill the bill.

I actually think that is a very good possibility unless Fitz actually comes out and does well with consistency and we start winning some games. I think that is not very likely though, so I would expect the offense will be better under Fitz then it was with Trent, but not good enough to warrant not taking a look at Brohm at some point. The bye week would be the most logical choice to get him ready to go if we do make that switch.

If the GM and coach were REALLY treating this like a rebuilding year, we'd have traded Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch already for some real help on EITHER of our Lines.

What cracks me up is that the fans on here have been clamoring to find a #2 next to Evans for years and its just not happened with failure after failure...then they want to trade a very talented WR in Evans who is still young away as if finding a replacement for him is so easy. How does this make any sense?

Lynch I get because we have 3 talented RB's...but trading Lee makes no sense what so ever since we have no other established WR's or TE's on this team for any young QB to throw to. So how are we supposed to develop a QB if he has zero players to throw to?

Very well said. Your words echo my thoughts on 2010 being a throw away season. Every season, game and play counts especially for a team that has bot been successful over the last 10 years. Right on again in the lack of off season signings. The FO was either too cheap or just isn't interested in fielding a winning team.

this is absolutely uncalled for. how dare you invoke perspective and reason to this board. you should be ashamed for refusing to be a kneejerk reactionary. :pirate:

jw

nice post, by the way.

for discussion purposes, i still don't think the Bills were showcasing Lynch. i do believe they felt he was the best and stronger back to take on a hard-hitting Packers defense.

also, i do think Spiller's lack of playing time should be regarded as an early season disappointment. there was no indication that Spiller would get so little playing time, and Gailey was quite pleased a week before the season in announcing that Spiller was, in fact, his starter. to me, that's regarded a regression given how ineffective Spiller's been so far.

this is absolutely uncalled for. how dare you invoke perspective and reason to this board. you should be ashamed for refusing to be a kneejerk reactionary. :pirate:

jw

nice post, by the way.

for discussion purposes, i still don't think the Bills were showcasing Lynch. i do believe they felt he was the best and stronger back to take on a hard-hitting Packers defense.

also, i do think Spiller's lack of playing time should be regarded as an early season disappointment. there was no indication that Spiller would get so little playing time, and Gailey was quite pleased a week before the season in announcing that Spiller was, in fact, his starter. to me, that's regarded a regression given how ineffective Spiller's been so far.

I think Chan might have gotten a little overexcited about the shiny new toy when he named Spiller the starter. It also was probably an effort to justify the pick. But clearly Spiller is not ready for the speed of the NFL yet and Chan needed to pull him back. I think Chan will find ways to use Spiller in situations that fit his skillset and allow him to get acclimated to the NFL before he tries to put the full workload on him again.

Spiller is a talented kid with a bright future as long as they figure out how to ease him in and not ruin his confidence.