Want to buy a piece of history?

Just Jack

For sale: One Team USA hockey 'Miracle on Ice' gold medal

Mark Wells was the last player added to the 1980 U.S. men's national hockey team, which stunned the Soviet Union in the "Miracle on Ice" -- named the greatest sporting moment of the 20th century by Sports Illustrated -- and then defeated Finland for Olympic gold at the Lake Placid Winter Games in New York. He scored goals in wins over Norway and Romania in the tournament; now, he's making a different kind of Olympic history.

According to the Boston Herald, Wells' Olympic gold medal will be up for auction, making it one of the rarest collectables in the still-booming market of "Miracle" memorabilia.

For sale: One Team USA hockey 'Miracle on Ice' gold medal

Mark Wells was the last player added to the 1980 U.S. men's national hockey team, which stunned the Soviet Union in the "Miracle on Ice" -- named the greatest sporting moment of the 20th century by Sports Illustrated -- and then defeated Finland for Olympic gold at the Lake Placid Winter Games in New York. He scored goals in wins over Norway and Romania in the tournament; now, he's making a different kind of Olympic history.

According to the Boston Herald, Wells' Olympic gold medal will be up for auction, making it one of the rarest collectables in the still-booming market of "Miracle" memorabilia.

that would be pretty amazing - it will go for a ton.

Before the olympics the team came through buffalo and practiced (maybe even played a game - not sure). I have a puck that my sister grabbed when it bounced out of the ice - says 1980 Mens Olympic hockey team - sort of cool.

Edited by gmac17

A couple years back when I was in DC for the frozen four I went down to my hotel's bar one night. All four of the BU guys (BU was in the frozen four and won that year)from that team, Rizo, Craig, OC, and Silk were right up there at the bar together. That was a pretty cool moment. Unfortunately, it didn't take too long for people to start flocking to them and they left shortly after. I'm kind of shocked that they actually had to pay for a single beer while there.

No one would call Canada winning a gold in hockey a miracle. Its about as notable as you catching a "pickerel" though the ice, sitting in a hut drunk on Labatts.

Wouldn't be a miracle if the USA won these days either. I love me some pickerel.....and here we call it Blue.

Kind of like the Canadians say rye instead of whiskey. Along with "white rum" instead of just rum.

What the hell are "pickerel" in Canada anyways? Here they are a small version of pike. Walleyes maybe? I have A dim memory of some Canadian calling a perch a "pickerel".

I have an autographed stick from one of the players - Eric Strobel. He played for Rochester after the Olympics and my Dad was the Amerks bus driver for many years. Do you think that the stick is worth anything? FTR - I belieive it is personalized - in my attic, I'd have to check.

Not much. If it's personalized, even less.