Time Warner Cable = cheap bastards

DonInBuffalo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go.....

http://www.timewarnercable.com/northeast/support/navigator/faqs.html

I'd give you explicit directions, but one of my son's friends is playing video games right now. When you select your resolution(s) pick 1080 and 720....and for the picture size you want to select Stretch.

P.S. If your picture is grainy you may have a signal issue and if I were you I'd schedule a trouble call. There's no charge for that.

P.P.S. I'm assuming the Buffalo Division has the new Navigator.

P.P.P.S. I have the 8300HDC DVR and I have no issues with it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I have the new Navigator. They gave me a new remote when they installed the 8300 last week. Some of the buttons are in different places than in the demo videos. I'm guessing I have a version of the new Navigator, just with buttons in different places.

If I "take this from the top", maybe all of this will make more sense.

Last Saturday afternoon, I decided to compare the OTA image to the image from my new cable box, during a football game. At the time, I had the sound muted on my TV. So, I flipped a few times between OTA 7 and what I thought was Cable 707, and noticed an obvious difference. The cable picture was distorted, and not the proper aspect ratio. So, I figured I would call right away to setup a service call for early in the week. The person who answered the call was a complete idiot. She didn't even know what OTA meant. She insisted that there was no reason for me to expect Cable HD 707 to look anything like the OTA 7 feed, even after I explained to her what that was. I insisted on setting up a service call anyway, of course. After I got off the phone, I took another look, and felt rather foolish. It turns out that my TV's "mute" indicator was blocking a portion of the channel listing on the screen, and I had actually been comparing OTA 7 to "stretched" Cable SD 7. Of course those look different. So, I called back and canceled the service call. I had never considered the possibility that I was watching "stretched" Cable SD 7, since my old box displayed the SD channels with bars on the sides.

Moving along, I continued to compare the OTA feeds during football games to the cable HD feed. There is a difference. You have to look close to see it, but there is definitely a difference. Based on everything I've read in this thread and elsewhere, I'm convinced my cable box is not setup properly.

I'm connected via the same component cables that my old box used. When I press the "Settings" button, the only relevant option listed is "Picture Size", and the only options are "Normal", "Stretch", and "Zoom", with Stretch being selected. Also, my box has indicator lights for 720p, 420p, and 420i. Regardless of the channel selected, 420i is always displayed.

I'll probably have better luck if I call tech support during the week; lessen the chances of me getting someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Edited by DonInBuffalo

OK now we're getting somewhere. Another poster referred to me as "Dan". I asked him not to do that, and he insisted on continuing to call me Dan. I consider that rude. Maybe that's just me.

If by your impression I've been obnoxious in this thread then I apologize. I can tell you categorically that it wasn't intentional. That's just not the way I like to behave; if I was acting like that it was not on purpose.

As far as "why", I think we're taking this thread in the wrong direction. I started this thread due to my frustration at my cable not working to my liking, and the lack of support I was receiving from Time Warner. Apparently people got the wrong impression. I don't own any tin foil hats. Sorry if that disappoints anyone here.

Are you one of those road rage guys? Just curious.......:lol:

I'm connected via the same component cables that my old box used. When I press the "Settings" button, the only relevant option listed is "Picture Size", and the only options are "Normal", "Stretch", and "Zoom", with Stretch being selected. Also, my box has indicator lights for 720p, 420p, and 420i. Regardless of the channel selected, 420i is always displayed.

What cables? Coax? The traditional red/white/yellow? With the new box, they should have included an HDMI cable, I know I got one with my 8300. Don't run out and buy an HDMI from your local big box electronics store, have TW provide one.

Edited by Just Jack

Are you one of those road rage guys? Just curious.......:lol:

No, but it reminds me of an amusing story. About twenty years ago, I was shopping for a new car. One of the cars I was considering was the Honda Accord. I went out to a dealer near the Eastern Hills Mall. The salesman who took me for a test drive was named Lawrence Trembling. After the drive, I happened to notice a chalkboard in the manager's office listing the sales totals for everyone. "LT" was at the bottom with either 2 or 3. For a variety of reasons, I decided to go to Don Davis and buy my Accord there. Quite a few years later, I saw a story on the local TV news, where the same Lawrence Trembling had been convicted and sent to prison in some sort of road rage incident when he ran somebody of the road on the Thruway.

What cables? Coax? The traditional red/white/yellow? With the new box, they should have included an HDMI cable, I know I got one with my 8300. Don't run out and buy an HDMI from your local big box electronics store, have TW provide one.

No, I'm using the Composite hookup, which IIRC is Red/Green/Blue. The red/white/yellow is component, which is an inferior signal quality. I have a DVD player hooked up with Composite cables, and a DVD Recorder using HDMI. When I playback DVDs in the recorder, I can't tell any difference on my TV compared to the Composite hookup.

Edit: I have no idea why the forum software decided to merge these two responses together into one post.

Edited by DonInBuffalo

Seriously, get an HDMI cable, if for no other reason than you can use the "auto" setting. If TW doesn't have one available, here's a real bargoon:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-2M-6-Feet/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285378320&sr=8-2

If you need Category 2 cable, try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Category-Certified-Cable-28AWG/dp/B001F37I06/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1285378570&sr=1-3-spell

Edited by The Dean

No, but it reminds me of an amusing story. About twenty years ago, I was shopping for a new car. One of the cars I was considering was the Honda Accord. I went out to a dealer near the Eastern Hills Mall. The salesman who took me for a test drive was named Lawrence Trembling. After the drive, I happened to notice a chalkboard in the manager's office listing the sales totals for everyone. "LT" was at the bottom with either 2 or 3. For a variety of reasons, I decided to go to Don Davis and buy my Accord there. Quite a few years later, I saw a story on the local TV news, where the same Lawrence Trembling had been convicted and sent to prison in some sort of road rage incident when he ran somebody of the road on the Thruway.

No, I'm using the Composite hookup, which IIRC is Red/Green/Blue. The red/white/yellow is component, which is an inferior signal quality. I have a DVD player hooked up with Composite cables, and a DVD Recorder using HDMI. When I playback DVDs in the recorder, I can't tell any difference on my TV compared to the Composite hookup.

Edit: I have no idea why the forum software decided to merge these two responses together into one post.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or if you just mixed up your terms and/or don't know but Red/Blue/Green is Component video but you'll need Red/White for audio, Red/White/Yellow is Composite which doesn't support High Definition signal. In terms of the box settings, I'd suggest your box be at only the 1080i setting and if don't mind the bars or a small screen on non HDTV channels then pick Normal size. Yet I recommend that most of my customers chose Stretch.

Yes, we have thew new navigator in Buffalo. In order to get there click your Settings button on your remote control then right/left arrow to Display and then up/down arrow to Output resolution OK button and up/down arrow to 1080 and then OK button add a dot on 1080i and then down/up arrow highlight all the other sizes and clicking OK to remove the dots. So again when all said and finished only have a dot on 1080i. Then save with the C button. The find Picture Size press OK button and highlight Normal or Stetch click OK button. Finally press Exit to leave the menu and watch tv. If you're still stuck then call Tech Support first thing tomorrow morning but don't ask for The Jokeman because that isn't my real name and no I'm not that to you nor giving you my extension.

Edited by The Jokeman

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or if you just mixed up your terms and/or don't know but Red/Blue/Green is Component video but you'll need Red/White for audio, Red/White/Yellow is Composite which doesn't support High Definition signal. In terms of the box settings, I'd suggest your box be at only the 1080i setting and if don't mind the bars at Normal size. Yet if you detest the bars then go Stretch.

I just got the terms confused. My TV has two Component and two HDMI inputs.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or if you just mixed up your terms and/or don't know but Red/Blue/Green is Component video but you'll need Red/White for audio, Red/White/Yellow is Composite which doesn't support High Definition signal. In terms of the box settings, I'd suggest your box be at only the 1080i setting and if don't mind the bars or a small screen on non HDTV channels then pick Normal size. Yet I recommend that most of my customers chose Stretch.

Yes, we have thew new navigator in Buffalo. In order to get there click your Settings button on your remote control then right/left arrow to Display and then up/down arrow to Output resolution OK button and up/down arrow to 1080 and then OK button add a dot on 1080i and then down/up arrow highlight all the other sizes and clicking OK to remove the dots. So again when all said and finished only have a dot on 1080i. Then save with the C button. The find Picture Size press OK button and highlight Normal or Stetch click OK button. Finally press Exit to leave the menu and watch tv. If you're still stuck then call Tech Support first thing tomorrow morning but don't ask for The Jokeman because that isn't my real name and no I'm not that to you nor giving you my extension.

PS make sure your aspect ratio is 16x9 and reread my edited post above.

Thanks for the info.

FYI, my personal preference for 4:3 telecasts is to just leave the bars on the sides. To each their own.

When I press Settings, and then scroll to Display, the only options listed are Clock Options, Power On Channel, Language, DVR Compensation, and Banner Duration. I'm guessing I don't have the Output Resolution option because I'm using a Component connection as opposed to HDMI.

*** Never Mind, I figured it out ****

I scrolled left and right some more, and found a section labeled "High Definition". That's where the Output Resolution option was. I'm guessing you got it wrong because you were going from memory as opposed to being at work where you could see all the menu options listed in front of you. I turned on the 1080i dot and turned off the 480i dot as you suggested, and changed my Picture Size back to Normal.

Everything appears to be "back to normal" now. I was watching Leno before I changed the settings, and could see a difference between the OTA and the cable feed. I changed the settings, and the 480i light went out on the cable box, and the 1080i light went on. Now the OTA and cable pictures are indistinguishable, as they were before with my 8200 box. Not surprisingly, the SD commercials also now display properly in HD broadcasts as well.

So the bottom line is the cable tech who did my install did a fine job of configuring my remote to control my 25+ year old stereo, but totally screwed up the basic HDTV settings.

Thanks again for your help.

Oh, and BlueFire, you can go !@#$ yourself. I've been under an ENORMOUS amount of stress lately dealing some some very serious personal health issues, and really didn't appreciate getting jerked around all day long. I haven't a clue as to why any sane person would find even the slightest bit of humor in that kind of nonsense.

Edited by DonInBuffalo

Oh, and BlueFire, you can go !@#$ yourself. I've been under an ENORMOUS amount of stress lately dealing some some very serious personal health issues, and really didn't appreciate getting jerked around all day long. I haven't a clue as to why any sane person would find even the slightest bit of humor in that kind of nonsense.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's really that stressful when someone calls you DAN instead of DON?!?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here ya go.....

http://www.timewarne...gator/faqs.html

I'd give you explicit directions, but one of my son's friends is playing video games right now. When you select your resolution(s) pick 1080 and 720....and for the picture size you want to select Stretch.

P.S. If your picture is grainy you may have a signal issue and if I were you I'd schedule a trouble call. There's no charge for that.

P.P.S. I'm assuming the Buffalo Division has the new Navigator.

P.P.P.S. I have the 8300HDC DVR and I have no issues with it.

Hope this helps.

By the way Cablelady, the new Navigator (and I'm assuming you mean the guide?) SUCKS ASS! :thumbdown:

Edited by kegtapr

OK now we're getting somewhere. Another poster referred to me as "Dan". I asked him not to do that, and he insisted on continuing to call me Dan. I consider that rude. Maybe that's hurst me.

If by your impression I've been obnoxious in this thread then I apologize. I can tell you categorically that it wasn't intentional. That's just not the way I like to behave; if I was acting like that our was not on purpose.

As far as "why", I think we're taking this thread in the wrong direction. I started this thread due to my frustration at my cable not working to my liking, and the lack of support I was receiving from Time Warner. Apparently people got the wrong impression. I don't own any tin foil hats. Sorry if that disappoints anyone here.

I consider you starting thread accusing a company of a conspiracy rude.

It's easy to misunderstand people in this sort of format. I wasn't accusing them of doing that; I was merely speculating that they might have done that. Fair enough?

Is there some reason you insist on being so obnoxious to someone who is essentially a complete stranger? Again, I'm missing something here.

Dude, there is no misunderstanding. You put "cheap bastards" in the damn thread title. That isn't merely suggesting, let's be serious. That's as accusing as you can get about a company that several posters work for, and prettyobnoxious.

Edited by BlueFire

Dude, there is no misunderstanding. You put "cheap bastards" in the damn thread title. That isn't merely suggesting, let's be serious. That's as accusing as you can get about a company that several posters work for, and prettyobnoxious.

Yup - the subject also says "compressing their signal."

Pretty cut and dry to me. It doesn't say, "My picture's not as good as before this new box, please help"

BTW, we still love the posters that work for TW, despite the fact that they work at TW. (Hi Harriet! :D )

I think I have things in perspective here. I was mistaken about the source of my problem. As it turns out, they weren't compressing the signal; I was simply dealing with a few inept employees who gave me a mistaken impression of what the real problem was that I was dealing with.

Two of the people who work for Time Warner who participate here chose to be helpful to me in resolving my issue. I thanked them appropriately. Others chose to just be obnoxious jerks, mocking the issue I was dealing with, without offering any constructive help whatsoever, I and I responded in kind.