Time Warner Cable = cheap bastards

DonInBuffalo

I've had Time Warner digital cable for about 3 years now, when I bought my HD TV. The cable box they gave me when they installed it back then was a Scientific Atlanta model 8200. I also have a pair of "rabbit ears", and pick up the local OTA channels most of the time. I compared on several occasions, and couldn't tell any difference between the cable feed and the OTA signal.

Last week, my cable box started making some noises, then displayed some messages indicating it was trying to reboot, and eventually simply shut itself off and wouldn't turn back on again. I called tech support, and they sent someone out the next day to repair/replace my box. The tech told me the box needed to be replaced, and installed a Scientific Atlanta model 8300 box. When she was setting it up, I noticed that the HD signal had bars on all four sides before she finished setting it up.

Yesterday, I watched the afternoon football games OTA. I started watching SNF on channel 2 OTA, but the signal got choppy so I switched to the cable feed. There is an obvious difference in quality compared to the OTA feed. (and my old box) I'm noticing the same quality difference watching MNF tonight. The logos in the endzone are noticeably blurred, for example.

So apparently when people's boxes break, (or maybe they're just systematically "breaking" them) they are changing the feed people receive to be significantly more compressed, to save themselves bandwidth. One other obvious difference is now when 4:3 commercials play during an HD broadcast, there aren't any bars on the left/right. Instead, the picture is blown up so portions on the top and bottom are cut off.

Cheap bastards.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hardly one to stick up for Time Warner, but I got my new HD box almost exactly a year ago...it is a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4240HDC...it looks awesome! I don't have the issues with the 4:3 commercials either...is it possible your tv isn't set correctly?

Edited by Buftex

I am hardly one to stick up for Time Warner, but I got my new HD box almost exactly a year ago...it is a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4240HDC...it looks awesome! I don't have the issues with the 4:3 commercials either...is it possible your tv isn't set correctly?

No, there's nothing wrong with my TV. It was obvious to me what was going on once I saw the tech setting things up. The picture is the proper aspect ratio and fills the whole screen, but is obviously inferior quality to the box I had previously.

So apparently when people's boxes break, (or maybe they're just systematically "breaking" them) they are changing the feed people receive to be significantly more compressed, to save themselves bandwidth. One other obvious difference is now when 4:3 commercials play during an HD broadcast, there aren't any bars on the left/right. Instead, the picture is blown up so portions on the top and bottom are cut off.

Cheap bastards.

You have got to be freaking kidding me. :doh:

No, there's nothing wrong with my TV. It was obvious to me what was going on once I saw the tech setting things up. The picture is the proper aspect ratio and fills the whole screen, but is obviously inferior quality to the box I had previously.

I wrap my head in two layers of tin foil before I turn on my timewarner box...you never know.

They came to my house in 3 days and gave me a brand new HD Dish.

They sent me a new DVR via 2 day FedEx shipment when I replaced my ancient HD DirecTiVo....

I can go to my local TW office and get a new HD box, no need to wait for one to be shipped to me.

Edited by Just Jack

You will be once you figure out your problems are due to not understanding how to use your cable box.

I doubt it. The tech who installed the new box setup the HD channels so they were the proper aspect ratio and filled the screen. I can press the # key to change the aspect ratio, but the only changes I can make either gets a picture that overflows the screen, or doesn't fill it properly. The bottom line is the feed itself is grainy. When I called Time Warner to ask them about this, the person answering the phone didn't even know what OTA meant, and tried to tell me that the cable feed isn't supposed to look "exactly" like what the networks provide.