Broncos WR Kenny McKinley dead - suicide

Just Jack

And in the face of a horrible Bills season and amongst a tragic thread regarding an NFL player, with correlation to pain and suffering that some of us have experienced first hand...this Board and its Members show why they are all sorts of win.

My sympathies to the McKinley's and those that have suffered through something like this.

and my props and applause to all those willing to lend a helping hand.

Why do they do it? Well because ya see there's this guy in a hole...

(For any of you who have heard the story before, or saw it on an episode of the West Wing)

After reading the yahoo message board, it's become clear that many people feel that this was a murder. I can't get past the gun on top of the pillow. It makes no sense. It doesn't pass the smell test.

If it is suicide I would like to bring my original thought in to this. Could he have done it because our institutions failed him? Not to get all liberally douche but this guy could have realized there was no life after football and the injury was the end of the only thing he knew. I do not know much at all of the story and do not know the deceased in any way but it is a good question. Could this be the result of the football machine passing this kid through the system to get him on the big field?

In the end, he did take his own life and no one else can be blamed. Sometimes the victims cannot be blamed. Nonetheless, if in any case I feel that many professional athletes may get a free ride through parts of life (life isn't fair, I know!) and when the joy ride is over they're ruined. The football machine should not be as big as it is and if an athlete cannot handle the curriculum of his educational facility than he should not be allowed to play football. I think it is a major disservice to our communities to allow students with low GPA's, children, or any police record to play. In the town I live now there is a debate over whether some students with misdemeanors being allowed to play. They are standouts on the team and one student that was involved with the crime is a felon and is no longer eligable.

To play athletics for any organization is an honor that should be earned.

/soap box.

Poor baby. 22 years old and $1,000,000 in the bank. Yeah I would blow my brains out out too. I mean, who can live like this?

Judging from the time you wrote this post, I'm hoping it was some sort of drunken mistake. Especially if you read all the other posts from people who have/are going through the same thing. Have a little sensitivity. This isn't a missed field goal. It's a life that's come to an abrupt and early end. Shame on you.

Poor baby. 22 years old and $1,000,000 in the bank. Yeah I would blow my brains out out too. I mean, who can live like this?

Depression is a disease, just like cancer. It kills indescriminately. People with money have just as many reasons to die as the poor people who struggle to make ends meet. When you are a top flight player, and you are put on IR, there is a feeling of hopelessness and lack of respect.

People like you apparently never have endured a personal tragedy or loss, and I actually pity you.

It is so sad. It is not sad in the way that a puppy dies or that someone has cancer. It is sad because depression and mental illness is something trapped inside that is not understood. Combined with the hopeless feeling that he will never play football again he took his life. Elite athletes are warriors that know only one thing - to succeed. It's hard to succeed in everything you do without cracking and that athletes do it, or anyone else for that matter, is amazing. Than, for those that do get a dent or a chip their resolve to step back on to that field is incredible.

There are cures for cancer and for diabetes but there are no cures for mental illness.