Randy Cross calls out Lee Evans, Bills WRs

LGB

I would still cut Stevie Johnson 1st & bring Chad Jackson back.

Donald Jones, or whatever his name is, should be cut before Steve Johnson.

I would like to see Chad Jackson play in the REAL games...I think he could be a decent player if given the opportunity. Same with, and I am sorry to say this...James Hardy. I think we gave up on him too soon...he deserved to play out THIS year.

Has this Rookie WR Jones even stepped foot on the field yet?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This pretty much implies that evans got paid 19 million for this one game...which is misleading.

These numbers have been pretty well published...the $19 million figure I mentioned was just the estimated guaranteed money.

2008-10-02 19:28:00

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have signed WR Lee Evans to a four-year, $37.25 million extension that includes $18.25 million worth of guarantees. Evans will make $27 million over the first three years of the deal. He is now under contract through the 2012 season.

2009-02-15 16:23:11

Mark Gaughan, of The Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills WR Lee Evans has the highest salary cap number on the team at $9.87 million.

2009-12-15 12:03:02

Jerry Sullivan, of The Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills WR Lee Evans has averaged less than 40 yards in his last 22 games. Evans has just one 100-yard game over that span.

There is something seriously wrong with some of you people. First, Randy Cross' mentioned that Evans was taken away by Charles Woodson (defensive player of the year) and the rest of the defense. His WHOLE POINT (that nobody bothered to listen to) was that the OTHER WRs have to get open and they did not. Second, Evans job is first dependant upon Edwards having good protection and also dependant upon the QB actually throwing the ball to him. You can all admit that the Bills have a horrible O-line and that Edwards sucks, but somehow Evans should be cut because he can't catch the balls that aren't coming to him.

Finally, the debate over this #1 or #2 thing is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Who was Green Bay's #1? Jennings? Jones? Driver? Finley? THE BILLS NEED MORE TALENT. PERIOD.

There is something seriously wrong with some of you people. First, Randy Cross' mentioned that Evans was taken away by Charles Woodson (defensive player of the year) and the rest of the defense.

okay, I get it now...opposing teams are going to assign their best DB to Lee Evans every game so we should expect no catches from Evans every week. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up for us. :rolleyes:

That is almost as good as hearing for years how we need another WR to pull coverage off of Evans - so the Bills go out and sign TO and Evans has his worst year ever - catching a career-low 44 passes for a career-low 612 yards and seven touchdowns last year.

The last time Evans actually worked to get open was when JP was here. Now he is coasting on his millions of dollars.

If you want to get paid like an elite WR, maybe you should try and get open, come back to the ball or try and make a play.

Question: what does 4 catches for 34 yards so far this year mean?

Answer: Evans is on track to go from 600 yards last year to 300 yards this year (with a salary cap figure of $9.87 million - do the math).

okay, I get it now...opposing teams are going to assign their best DB to Lee Evans every game so we should expect no catches from Evans every week. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up for us. :rolleyes:

That is almost as good as hearing for years how we need another WR to pull coverage off of Evans - so the Bills go out and sign TO and Evans has his worst year ever - catching a career-low 44 passes for a career-low 612 yards and seven touchdowns last year.

The last time Evans actually worked to get open was when JP was here. Now he is coasting on his millions of dollars.

If you want to get paid like an elite WR, maybe you should try and get open, come back to the ball or try and make a play.

Question: what does 4 catches for 34 yards so far this year mean?

Answer: Evans is on track to go from 600 yards last year to 300 yards this year (with a salary cap figure of $9.87 million - do the math).

need more talent

And 4 catches, 34 yards means #1. Edwards wasn't upright long enough on the plays called for Evans, #2. Edwards missed him, #3 Evans dropped it or #4. Evans ran the wrong route.

Ridiculous.

Edited by JPS

Lee Evans sounds like nice, soft-spoken guy during his press interviews. With his numbers, his contract, his lack of any overt leadership characteristics (at least publicly) ... good grief. The spotlight could be a lot hotter than the one on Marshawn.

I realize he can't throw it to himself, and he was JP's guy, and so forth ... but it's kind of interesting how if you're perceived as a nice guy in Buffalo the fans will give you (literally) millions of dollars worth of room.

People don't seem to realize that when your QB is getting popped in the mouth constantly. Edwards took a few good shots today and popped back up pretty well. I'm still not an Edwards fan and I don't think he has what it takes, but you are dead on, it is extremely difficult to perform as a QB when your O-Line is as bad as ours currently is.

game one it may have been the O-lines fault more, as far as i could tell from stadium. but this week, with benefit of DVR, i'm placing more blame on edwards. Pack rushed 6 -7 people at him, all near the line and on my screen at same time... which means only 4 were dropped back in coverage, and he STILL had some time, and still got sacked. it was pathetic. numerous times i could spot WR's running free across the top of the screen that went unthrown too.

and yes, randy cross is an idiot. nice to call someone out on a pass over the middle when you don't watch the play back and see what really happened. maybe shoulda been caught, but definitely not alligator arms. they were extended. he just cut his route short and TE led him.

look..the interceptions yesterday were on Smith and Parrish. The quarterback gives you a catchable ball, it would be nice if you actually catch it. TE is no great shakes but the pass blocking is ludicrous. I suppose Levitre and Wood are good, but there are nine players on that offense that really suck as bad as Edwards. Not that Edwards doesn't suck, mind you.

There is something seriously wrong with some of you people. First, Randy Cross' mentioned that Evans was taken away by Charles Woodson (defensive player of the year) and the rest of the defense. His WHOLE POINT (that nobody bothered to listen to) was that the OTHER WRs have to get open and they did not. Second, Evans job is first dependant upon Edwards having good protection and also dependant upon the QB actually throwing the ball to him. You can all admit that the Bills have a horrible O-line and that Edwards sucks, but somehow Evans should be cut because he can't catch the balls that aren't coming to him.

Finally, the debate over this #1 or #2 thing is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Who was Green Bay's #1? Jennings? Jones? Driver? Finley? THE BILLS NEED MORE TALENT. PERIOD.

Thank you. The critics of Evans are clueless. He'd have excellent stats on a good team.

Lee Evans sounds like nice, soft-spoken guy during his press interviews. With his numbers, his contract, his lack of any overt leadership characteristics (at least publicly) ... good grief. The spotlight could be a lot hotter than the one on Marshawn.

I realize he can't throw it to himself, and he was JP's guy, and so forth ... but it's kind of interesting how if you're perceived as a nice guy in Buffalo the fans will give you (literally) millions of dollars worth of room.

Think hard about that bolded quote. Neither you nor I have any idea of how open he was yesterday when presented with single coverage.

It's kinda like how Moss was a washed up malcontent in Oakland. Was it a surpirse when Moss began playing with a QB that would throw the ball to him that he magically became good again? A WR can only catch balls that are thrown to him.

Don't bother. These guys are idiots that a still supporting Trent "The con man" Edwards. Every year he cons the coaching staff into thinking he is an NFL QB. He works hard, does something in preseason which may involve being on his knees and he somehow gets named the starting QB every year. As soon as the bullets start flying he shows his true colors and it's more of the same checkdown deer in the head lights football.

The real deal truth on this is in a thread I started that included a quote from Sullivan. If you run the numbers Lee Evans puts over twice as many points on the board when he plays with ANY QB NO NAMED EDWARDS!!! This includes such future hall of famers as JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb Ryan Fitzpatrick.

look..the interceptions yesterday were on Smith and Parrish. The quarterback gives you a catchable ball, it would be nice if you actually catch it. TE is no great shakes but the pass blocking is ludicrous. I suppose Levitre and Wood are good, but there are nine players on that offense that really suck as bad as Edwards. Not that Edwards doesn't suck, mind you.

1. Smith? Really?

2. Edwards gift wrapped not one but two pick sixes last week that were dropped so a little karmic retribution there.

3. Sure, maybe Johnson should have caught the first one but it was both a horrible throw (high, away, and right at the linebacker) AND a horrible decision (Parrish was wide open past the first down marker).

4. There was nothing wrong with the throw to Parrish but the play call was horrendous and I've got to believe the Edwards could've and should've audibled out of that some how, given the coverage.

Edwards deserves some of the blame on those interceptions, to be sure.

Edited by Wraith

Said it on here earlier today, this is the first guy I cut. REAL WRs get open, run great routes and most of all, try! This guy ones one route, refuses to run slants or over the middle as a part of his skillset and whines that he can't catch bombs all day. Granted, the QB sucks, but this guy doesn't do squat to make any QB we've had better.

Go to a game in person not just watching on TV...Evans is open all the time but he's down the field Edwards is scared to make that throw or doesn't have time becuase they blitz every pass play because Edwards can't burn them.

They would just rather blame Lee, one of the few bright spots on the team. We have some genius deep thinker fans don't we? LOL

A-freakin'-men.

Yes as far as Cross goes years ago he came on the scene being outspoken and respected as a former good player. As we have watched him as the years go by he has gone from studio guy to second team in the booth then third quickly dropping each year to where he is now the scrub guy who does the Bills games. I've learned listening to him earlier in his career he's an idiot clueless to what's going on in the league a lot like dumbdork as well.

The funniest part was when Cross was calling out the receivers and saying nobody was open, he put up a screenshot to prove his point and right in the middle was a wide open receiver.

Cross is clueless and Trent sucks. Evans did not seem to have any issues when Losman or Fitz were throwing to him, but suddenly he is the problem when Trent is the QB. Trent has to go for this team to move forward, both literally and figuratively.

And the offensive line situation makes it impossible to judge the QB.

I think it's pretty safe to say that whether or not Edwards ever had the ability to play the position, he's shot. Damaged goods. Too much Jauron. Too many hits. Plays scared. Looks for the first opportunity to get out of a play. Doesn't go through progressions. Seizes on a target and doesn't look at the better option developing 5 yards away from his target. I think it's safe to say this in part the result of poor line play, but Trent, and Trent alone left some plays on the field and that is his fault. Stevie Johnson and Roscoe both hurt him a lot, and the pass protection was piss poor from all quarters - not just the line - but that doesn't mean that Trent was choosing the best option on either of those plays.

Look, it's time to accept that the QB situation makes it impossible to judge the Bills receivers. Have they always been playing their best? No. But they are basically asked to run sprints whenever the Bills have the ball, because it's unlikely the ball is even gonna come out of Trents hands, no matter what the playcall. I'm sure it would be difficult for ANY player to keep their head in the game.

Lee Evans is a good receiver, open to debate how good, but he is a legitimate NFL receiver that would start (maybe not the #1, but would start) for any other team.

The Ills suck, and it's not Lee Evans. If anything, I feel bad for the guy because he resigned with the Bills when he should have left.

You're scapegoating him. Every guy on the BIlls is overpaid. I could go out there and be completely ineffective, just like a handful of guys on the team that are just about invisible.

no all you guys if you watched the game yesterday would know that to blame this on the QB with the pressure he faced yesterday id ludacris.

secondly to try and blame him for not going deep is laughable.

how the hell does any QB throw it long when he is getting his as- kicked and on the ground.

you people are all IDIOTS and dont get me wrong i'm not a trent lover but really lets at least try to act like we know something about the game.

lastly edwards as much as he is hated is by far the best QB on this team.

anyone who actually attends the games or watches this team and wants to watch fitz run this team again is flat out on crack. i learned last year he is unwatchable and does not belong on any nfl team.

so we are stuck with edwards but yesterday and to a big extent the first game to blame the lack of a passing game on edwards is stupid its not his fault. no QB can throw when he is constantly under pressure or on his as-.