Barker's Spotlight: Arthur Moats

Arthur Moats

LB #52 Height: 6-2 Weight: 250 Age: 22

College: James Madison Hometown: Portsmouth, Virginia

I really like this guy. I'll be honest, it's mainly because he made a big forced fumble one time in my Madden franchise - but that's not the point. The point is Arthur Moats is awesome! Here are some quick facts:

•  
  • Moats played his college ball at James Madison, a division I-AA school.

• Moats won the Buck Buchanan award, given to the most outstanding defensive player in all of I-AA football. He also won Colonial Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year.

• Moats actually played defensive end in college in a 4-3 scheme. Most college DEs that are drafted to play in a 3-4 move to OLB, but the Bills are actually working Moats at ILB, which is unusual.

• Moats racked up 11 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss in his senior year.

• Here is a good scouting report on Moats: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1277382

He seems like a genuinely nice person. He already ran a free football camp for kids in his hometown.

Here's a short video clip to introduce you to Arthur Moats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8aERGhuQc&feature=related

Arthur Moats

[*] Moats actually played defensive end in college in a 4-3 scheme. Most college DEs that are drafted to play in a 3-4 move to OLB, but the Bills are actually working Moats at ILB, which is unusual.

[*] Moats racked up 11 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss in his senior year.

[*] Here is a good scouting report on Moats: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1277382

He seems like a genuinely nice person. He already ran a free football camp for kids in his hometown.

Nice post, Benjamin! Enjoyed the videoclip. Moats seems like he has the physical goods.

He looked lost a few times in preseason though - learning curve ahead.

Hopefully he gets the time and mentoring to learn a single system well and doesn't get tossed in the frying pan too soon 'cuz of injuries.

I'm with Bowery, the ILB/OLB decision puzzled me.

I don't generally like tattoos, but how cool is it that a late-round guy documents his draft pick on his arm forever? Very cool.

Seems like a nice guy. I'm definitely rooting for him. He will take a year or two to learn the ropes at LB. After that, I'm hoping he can be a good one.

Thanks, Benjamin.

Edited by Thurman#1

I like Moats and I hope he does very well...but he just reminds me of another Nic Harris, Ashlee Palmer, Marcus Buggs and Alvin Bowen!

All productive college LB's (with the exception of Harris) who we drafted, and they failed.

But, just like Harris...we drafted a guy who is a "tweener", really no specific position he fits at.

However, this guy was drafted by a different regime...so I will give him 2 years to show me something...THEN I will throw him in the pile with the likes of Harris, Palmer, Buggs and Bowen!

This guy should be outside. He isn't huge, but his center of gravity is lower than Maybin, Eliis, and those types. He is smooth and explosive. If you showed me the combine tape alone....I would say he should be a 2nd round pick at worst. I think they found a player in this guy and as long as they don't F him up.....I will give him a year to make his point. At worst we have a Mark Maddox in my opinion.

Well at least the Giants and Falcons were on the phone with him about to draft him when the Bills selected him. That means he wasn't some crazy reach when they selected him and got fair prospect value for the pick.

Oh, I totally agree with you there...

Just saying...there have been guys like him who we thought we would get something out of, and they flopped.