What do you think is the reason why good FA wont come to Buffalo?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly right and you forgot to add Ralph Wilson specifically also is a cheap, good for nothing, old **** (choose your cheap shot). Last year and I think the year before, there were few to none FA O linemen who could have helped the team.

Add to that the ones who left the Bills to have a great career were Ruben Brown, Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield (jury is out on Nate Clements) - few and far in between if I may add. Our fundamental problem has been drafting and keeping the pipeline full.

back to your regularly scheduled venom spewing.....

So, in short you don't know for sure but the FO sucks anyway ?

Yes. The Bills are not well thought of period and I do have that from a couple folks that actually play in the league.

I agree with you mad dog until you said that the Bills will want to end the season. No team would want to go into a season to come out for a high draft. I feel the Bills want a lower pick if anything. I also believe there is a reason why players become free agents. I'm not saying all FA are worthless or not worth taking, but feel that a team to build is a team that goes deep in drafts and builds up from there. If the Bills go after a draft pick or a person, then they will do that, but the reality is that going into a season with the expectations of getting a high draft is not only unrealistic, but counter productive. A team goes into a year with the belief of winning.

As others have said, but which bears repeating, this entire thread is based on a false premise. What FAs are we discussing here? Does anyone know of one who the Bills went after but did not get? All I am hearing is a lot of people venting their pre-conceived notions about what they dislike about the team, the organization, the city, and New York politics.

Not interested in splitting hairs or weaseling definitions about who is and is not a "top" free agent, but last year there were players that passed on offers from the Bills, e.g., Laveranues Coles and Pisa Tinoisamoa. There is also the evidence that the Bills never had any chance with Shanahan. I've heard similar sentiments on behalf of players that they wouldn't even consider the Bills because they want to go to a contender, good situation, etc.

From an offensive POV. Would it be the OL or our QB that would cause you to turn away? Which one is the bigger problem?

I say OL

That Buffalo didn't offer as much money as another team did for that particular guy.

That's 90% of these decisions, the exceptions being largely guys who are already extremely rich from earlier contracts. Like McNabb or Tony Gonzalez.

Edited by Thurman#1

Not interested in splitting hairs or weaseling definitions about who is and is not a "top" free agent, but last year there were players that passed on offers from the Bills, e.g., Laveranues Coles and Pisa Tinoisamoa. There is also the evidence that the Bills never had any chance with Shanahan. I've heard similar sentiments on behalf of players that they wouldn't even consider the Bills because they want to go to a contender, good situation, etc.

That is a perfectly sensible response. I agree that BUF is not the most attractive team (much like people said about GB back before they landed Reggie White) but I do wonder what factors go into any free agent's choices. After all, Kawika Mitchell left the SB champs to come to Buffalo, right? (Speaking of FAs who may or may not be considered "top.")

What bugs me about this thread is that most of the posters in it are simply repeating the same criticisms of Ralph, of WNY, etc. etc. that they have trumpeted elsewhere, without actually discussing concrete cases. It is just another exercise in Bills fan self-abuse. And not the good kind, either.

That is a perfectly sensible response. I agree that BUF is not the most attractive team (much like people said about GB back before they landed Reggie White) but I do wonder what factors go into any free agent's choices. After all, Kawika Mitchell left the SB champs to come to Buffalo, right? (Speaking of FAs who may or may not be considered "top.")

What bugs me about this thread is that most of the posters in it are simply repeating the same criticisms of Ralph, of WNY, etc. etc. that they have trumpeted elsewhere, without actually discussing concrete cases. It is just another exercise in Bills fan self-abuse. And not the good kind, either.

I'm with you on that, RJ (not THAT RJ).

Bryce Paup

Takeo Spikes

London Fletcher

Kawika Mitchell

James Lofton

Roosevelt Leaks

Larry Kinnebrew

Those come immediately to mind. But they account for nothing. Knuckleheads rail at the tens of millions we overspent on the OL Free Agents in the last three years are the same ones that carp, Ralph is cheap.

My GUESS is that the ultimate FAs like Shanahan have no interest in coming here because though the owner deserves great credit for keeping the team here he also exercises his "right" in our system to meddle and he does this badly.

As opposed to Dan Snyder? :unsure:

From an offensive POV. Would it be the OL or our QB that would cause you to turn away? Which one is the bigger problem?

I say OL

There's only one cure that will change everything. In 1984 and 1985 I sat through just about every home game. Nobody wants to play for a bad team. In 1986 they signed Kelly and changes started. Look at Green Bay! I mean it's Green Bay, Wisconsin where the sun never shines. It's not exactly a hot spot but they pay players and they WIN!

"The philosophy of the Bills has almost always been not to go after top Free agents and I tend to agree with that philosophy."

You mean like James Lofton, Cornelius Bennett, Bryce Paup, Drew Bledsoe, Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Terrell Owens, etc etc etc...

"I think part of the reason is that they intend to suck this year and try to get a high pick to get a QB and #2,"

lol...and this is why Bills fans don't get paid to run the franchise.

Bennett and Bledsoe were trades. Lofton was at the tail end of his career and may have been a waiver claim, he was not making big money

Fletcher was a decent pickup but by no means would I consider him a Top Free agent. and T.O. was a publicity stunt. Other than the Polian years when Bill wrestled control away from Ralph, the Bills have not been involved in bidding for the top FA's.

and with regard to the part about them wanting to be bad to assure a top pick to be able to get a QB, I never said I thought it was a good strategy, just that I thought it was part of the Bills current strategy.

i would say they watch a game of trent checking it down and be 10 for 20 in the 3rd for 24 yards and see he isnt committed to winning a game with that i used to be a fan of trent his rookie year now he is a wanna be losman without the balls to throw it down the field. did i hit the nail on the head