"The Yips"

I think Trent Edwards has a form of Chuck Knoblauch syndrome, sometimes referred to as "the Yips" - "Steve Sax disease" - and "Steve Blass disease". I'm not being facetious, I mean this in all seriousness.

The definition of this disease or syndrome is: the apparent loss of certain fine motor skills seemingly without explanation in one of a number of different sports. Sometimes they recover their ability, sometimes they compensate by changing technique, or may be forced to abandon their sport at the highest level.

After doing a bit of research there have been many athletes in all different kind of sports that have been effected by this syndrome, and at the highest levels.

I liken it to "stage fright". Someone that can sing in the shower, but can't get in front of an audience. Even if the audience is a karaoke bar and the person has the words right in front of them and has sang that song a million times in their head.

To me there's a distinction between Edwards and a QB that can't play. That distinction is that we have seen him play well. We saw it in the early games of 2008 and in pre season. So we know the ability is there. Then after several hard hits and concussions the guy just lost all ability? I don't believe that. I think he's got a mental block. Heck even the national media is baffled at why he won't throw the ball. It has to be puzzling Gailey as well. He saw the guy flat out win the job with an admitted open competition. Then he goes out with real bullets flying and performs like that. I truly believe it is pure stage fright and a "loss of certain fine motor skills seemingly without explanation."

Edited by Buffalonian-at-Heart

i'm not saying this to defend trent, but if he were suffering from some type of the yips, how is it that he was able to deliver the ball to scoe on that td play?

i realize literally no one was covering scoe, but i've seen other receivers wide open down the field and trent won't put it up there. evans constantly beats his man only to turn around and see that the ball is being checked down already.

i think it is more a case of just being gun shy, and although i mostly like what chan has done so far, i can't understand why he doesn't say something to trent like, "i don't care if there's double coverage or whatever - throw the damn ball DEEP down the sideline and let evans [or whomever] try and make a play!"

they're going to wind up punting anyway if they can't move the ball more than 2 yards at a time, so and interception 40 yds down the field isn't a big deal, if it happens.

it's one thing to flat out suck, but i'd rather have a QB that sucks and TRIES.

and no i don't want fitz or brohm to start. i just want edwards to TRY!

I think Trent Edwards has a form of Chuck Knoblauch syndrome, sometimes referred to as "the Yips" - "Steve Sax disease" - and "Steve Blass disease". I'm not being facetious, I mean this in all seriousness.

The definition of this disease or syndrome is: the apparent loss of certain fine motor skills seemingly without explanation in one of a number of different sports. Sometimes they recover their ability, sometimes they compensate by changing technique, or may be forced to abandon their sport at the highest level.

After doing a bit of research there have been many athletes in all different kind of sports that have been effected by this syndrome, and at the highest levels.

I liken it to "stage fright". Someone that can sing in the shower, but can't get in front of an audience. Even if the audience is a karaoke bar and the person has the words right in front of them and has sang that song a million times in their head.

To me there's a distinction between Edwards and a QB that can't play. That distinction is that we have seen him play well. We saw it in the early games of 2008 and in pre season. So we know the ability is there. Then after several hard hits and concussions the guy just lost all ability? I don't believe that. I think he's got a mental block. Heck even the national media is baffled at why he won't throw the ball. It has to be puzzling Gailey as well. He saw the guy flat out win the job with an admitted open competition. Then he goes out with real bullets flying and performs like that. I truly believe it is pure stage fright and a "loss of certain fine motor skills seemingly without explanation."

Preposterous. The why doesn't matter one wit. Stinking out loud is the result!

I think you over analyzed this situation. Trent lacks gonads. He's probaly got a medical condition called Low-T or low testosterone. I saw a commercial for this and said "that's our QB they're talking about". Symptoms:no passion, weakness, moody, low energy, plays with long hair and bakes cookies.

i'm not saying this to defend trent, but if he were suffering from some type of the yips, how is it that he was able to deliver the ball to scoe on that td play?

i realize literally no one was covering scoe, but i've seen other receivers wide open down the field and trent won't put it up there. evans constantly beats his man only to turn around and see that the ball is being checked down already.

i think it is more a case of just being gun shy, and although i mostly like what chan has done so far, i can't understand why he doesn't say something to trent like, "i don't care if there's double coverage or whatever - throw the damn ball DEEP down the sideline and let evans [or whomever] try and make a play!"

they're going to wind up punting anyway if they can't move the ball more than 2 yards at a time, so and interception 40 yds down the field isn't a big deal, if it happens.

it's one thing to flat out suck, but i'd rather have a QB that sucks and TRIES.

and no i don't want fitz or brohm to start. i just want edwards to TRY!

I think he has, as have his other coaches calling the plays. He won't do it. Hence I believe he has a mental block that comes over him.

Preposterous. The why doesn't matter one wit. Stinking out loud is the result!

Wrong. It matters very much as to whether it is worth time salvaging him. If it can;t be fixed, it is a waste of time. Knee jerk reactions don't solve any problem

The primary problem is the offensive line.

I think you over analyzed this situation. Trent lacks gonads. He's probaly got a medical condition called Low-T or low testosterone. I saw a commercial for this and said "that's our QB they're talking about". Symptoms:no passion, weakness, moody, low energy, plays with long hair and bakes cookies.

You think I've over analyzed? So you're theory is his hair is the reason he won't throw down field? Thanks for the insight, I didn't think about his baking prowess might be the reason.

I believe it is his inability to read a 3-4 defense. All the success he has ever had has been vs the 4-3. In 2008 the Bills were 1-9 vs the 3-4 defense and 5-1 vs the 4-3 defense. He didn't finish last year but he still looked lost vs the 3-4 and even this preseason. People were saying that he was good in the preseason but that was games 2, 3 and 4 against the 4-3 defenses. Against Washigton in preseason and Miami in the first game he was lost vs the 3-4.

I got one, take away the crutch. Keep the Running back in to block and allow not one reciever to break or cut for at least 10 yards. Next you send him out there and tell him "if you take a sack or throw it away you're benched for the season" See what happens...

Another thought is maybe he needs glasses, like Vaughn in the movie Major League. Downfield the blurry DB's look like they are covering a lot better than they are?

I got one, take away the crutch. Keep the Running back in to block and allow not one reciever to break or cut for at least 10 yards. Next you send him out there and tell him "if you take a sack or throw it away you're benched for the season" See what happens...

Another thought is maybe he needs glasses, like Vaughn in the movie Major League. Downfield the blurry DB's look like they are covering a lot better than they are?

i think you're on to something here