HEY NIX!!!!

A little background on myself, I am currently a head manager of a D1 college football team and working my way up in hopes of becoming a GM in the NFL one day. The last time the Bills made the playoffs I was 11 years old so my LIFE goal would be to be the GM of the Bills one day and help make them a champion.

Im going to play GM here and see what you guys think, now I beleive sometimes you have to make some ballsie moves if you're a GM in the NFL. My first move I make is to see if the Vikings are interested in Lee Evans for a 2nd round pick, they are desperate for a WR and he is just rotting on our roster. I then see if the Seahawks are still interested in Lynch, Jackson is still good for another 3-4 years and we can use him and Spiller and let Bell develope as a 3rd stringer. If the Seahawks are still interested I send lynch there was for their 3rd, and will probably have to send them a 6th ontop of it. This is where I make a move for Logan Mankins with the Pats, with our depth at CB and the Pats need for secondary I give them their choice of Youboty or Corner and a 3rd round pick.

With Mankins now in the fold I will try and give him a 5 year contract worth around 28-30 million with about 12-15 million gaurenteed. I put him in at Left Guard, move Levitre to RT, bench Green for depth, slide Wood over to center, and put Hangartner at Gaurd, a position better suited for him and one he played in college and spent time there with Carolina. For the rest of the year our Oline will look Bell, Mankins, Wood, Hangartner, Levitre.

Now I sit pat until the draft where I fully expect the Bills to have their choice of the top QB in the draft. With their first pick I take the best available QB, hopefully Andrew Luck, Stanford. I then try and package both of our 2nd round picks to move back into the mid range first and grab our LT. With our 3rd I grab the best available MLB or WR and try and find gems in the later rounds.

Normally Im not a big fan of starting a rookie QB the first year, but I think with Spiller and Jackson in the back field we can start Luck day one and let Gailey work his magic with the QB. With our new LT I start him there, move Bell to RT, Levitre back to gaurd, and sit Hangartner as depth. So our Oline looks like this, New LT, Mankins, Wood, Levitre, Bell.

Hopefully Easley is ready to step up because trading away Evans made us weak at WR, but having Shaun Nelson at TE will help, along with Spiller and Jackson in the back field.

I then give my newly formed offense a year to grow as a unit and use the following draft to pick up our star WR and truly make the Bills a contender for years to come. I think in order to succeed for the future we need to make some moves that may weaken us at first, but at this point "blowing up" might be the best means for our offense. Defense should be in good shape after the young guys we drafted last year grow, Troupe, Carrington, Maybin, ect.

This is where I make a move for Logan Mankins with the Pats, with our depth at CB and the Pats need for secondary I give them their choice of Youboty or Corner and a 3rd round pick.

And this is where you lose me.

Why are the Pats trading us Mankins for essentially nothing + a third?

And this is where you lose me.

Why are the Pats trading us Mankins for essentially nothing + a third?

Well the Pats are in a position where they cannot really get much for Mankins, everyone in the league knows he does not want to resign with the team, especially after the team was close to resigning him and asked him to issue a public apology, that did not sit well with him and he re-demanded a trade, not to mention he will be a UFA next year. The Pats just signed Brady to a large deal and have 2 first round picks in next years draft, and it might be the last draft before a rookie cap is installed, so draft picks will be looking for big deals. They also have to explore resigning Moss. It is a fair trade in the aspect of Buffalo having to give up some cash to sign him, we take him off the Pats hands, they get a high 3rd round pick, and most likely take Youboty which will help strengthen their terrible secondary this season, they showed us they need help stopping the pass if they hope to make it to the Super Bowl this year.

If it went down like that, I'd take it. Of course, ideas thrown out there like that one are laughed at and disregarded. You seldom see it in the NFL work that way. I believe it's largely because most of the G.M.'s and a good deal of the coaches are old, and old school. But, there is an influx of new young coaches, and some new young G.M.'s, as well. You see teams like Denver doing radical things. Seattle shuffled it a bit this year, and Baltimore has shown, as well as the Jets - and even the Patriots - a willingness to be creative and to think outside "the box". Buffalo hasn't been receptive to those kinds of moves. Either on account of Wilson, or the guys under him. But, I think - and a lot of us fans think, and are probably right some of the time - that you should be extreme at times to try and force change. We're not the ones who have to worry about filling seats on the down, sacrificed years, though. But, in response to that, I think the Bills would fill the stadium if we had a real plan to support, a kind of two or three year plan... in fact, if there were a time and place to be creative and extreme I'd say it's here and now! Go Bills!

If it went down like that, I'd take it. Of course, ideas thrown out there like that one are laughed at and disregarded. You seldom see it in the NFL work that way. I believe it's largely because most of the G.M.'s and a good deal of the coaches are old, and old school. But, there is an influx of new young coaches, and some new young G.M.'s, as well. You see teams like Denver doing radical things. Seattle shuffled it a bit this year, and Baltimore has shown, as well as the Jets - and even the Patriots - a willingness to be creative and to think outside "the box". Buffalo hasn't been receptive to those kinds of moves. Either on account of Wilson, or the guys under him. But, I think - and a lot of us fans think, and are probably right some of the time - that you should be extreme at times to try and force change. We're not the ones who have to worry about filling seats on the down, sacrificed years, though. But, in response to that, I think the Bills would fill the stadium if we had a real plan to support, a kind of two or three year plan... in fact, if there were a time and place to be creative and extreme I'd say it's here and now! Go Bills!

Exactly why I trade Evans and make those moves, I wouldnt be throwing this season away, but at the same time as a GM you have to realize what you have and where you need to be, and for the Buffalo Bills this is the time to blow it up and start from scratch. I liked what they did for the most part with the defense and think they will be just fine and only get better in the coming years. Being a fan of the Bills I would have no problem seeing Evans leave for a 2nd, Mankins brought in, and next year we land our QB and LT. Once we can solidify our line and get our future QB we can then start to draft skill positions such as WR. My plan for the next 2 years would be to fix the line, get our QB, and get a stud MLB and WR, from there you can go pick from the free agent pool.

What has Evans done in the last three years? Zippo. Who would give up a second for a Zippo? Not me. Anyway what is the difference with Evans out and Johnson and Nelson starting? None. Why all the love for Shawn Nelson? He has done squat -- 17 catches last year and a suspension this year. If his name was Marshawn he'd be drawn and quartered by now. Marshawn may be a bone head but Nelson is a cheat.

Im going to play GM here and see what you guys think, now I beleive sometimes you have to make some ballsie moves if you're a GM in the NFL. My first move I make is to see if the Vikings are interested in Lee Evans for a 2nd round pick, they are desperate for a WR and he is just rotting on our roster. I then see if the Seahawks are still interested in Lynch, Jackson is still good for another 3-4 years and we can use him and Spiller and let Bell develope as a 3rd stringer. If the Seahawks are still interested I send lynch there was for their 3rd, and will probably have to send them a 6th ontop of it. This is where I make a move for Logan Mankins with the Pats, with our depth at CB and the Pats need for secondary I give them their choice of Youboty or Corner and a 3rd round pick.

With Mankins now in the fold I will try and give him a 5 year contract worth around 28-30 million with about 12-15 million gaurenteed. I put him in at Left Guard, move Levitre to RT, bench Green for depth, slide Wood over to center, and put Hangartner at Gaurd, a position better suited for him and one he played in college and spent time there with Carolina. For the rest of the year our Oline will look Bell, Mankins, Wood, Hangartner, Levitre.

Now I sit pat until the draft where I fully expect the Bills to have their choice of the top QB in the draft. With their first pick I take the best available QB, hopefully Andrew Luck, Stanford. I then try and package both of our 2nd round picks to move back into the mid range first and grab our LT. With our 3rd I grab the best available MLB or WR and try and find gems in the later rounds.

Normally Im not a big fan of starting a rookie QB the first year, but I think with Spiller and Jackson in the back field we can start Luck day one and let Gailey work his magic with the QB. With our new LT I start him there, move Bell to RT, Levitre back to gaurd, and sit Hangartner as depth. So our Oline looks like this, New LT, Mankins, Wood, Levitre, Bell.

Hopefully Easley is ready to step up because trading away Evans made us weak at WR, but having Shaun Nelson at TE will help, along with Spiller and Jackson in the back field.

I then give my newly formed offense a year to grow as a unit and use the following draft to pick up our star WR and truly make the Bills a contender for years to come. I think in order to succeed for the future we need to make some moves that may weaken us at first, but at this point "blowing up" might be the best means for our offense. Defense should be in good shape after the young guys we drafted last year grow, Troupe, Carrington, Maybin, ect.

You're the GM, and as such will report to the owner. Every single NFL team needs to be profitable first and foremost so dealing Evans and Lynch for picks might sound nice, but it signals they're quitting this season by the trade deadline. No one in upper management wants empty seats, especially since this will be a long season with a few blackouts.

Secondly, Mankins wants Jahri Evans money, not the figures you mentioned. And why in heck would Bill Belichick deal Mankins at all when the team is trying to prove a point, especially to a division opponent that plays NE twice a year? Furthermore, Levitre is not a NFL RT or LT. He's principally a guard that worked at LT in an emergency last season. The team didn't keep him there amid all the problems at OT in 2009-10.

1.IMO The main reason the Cheats and SD have let these guys sit is because they don't know what will happen with the CBA next year.

2.RW has even more at stake if you think of it that way, when was the last time we signed a FA from our own team to a big contract. Lee Evans I believe, no? I don't think our owner is going to like you trading a player he paid rather large and likes a lot. Eply when his lack of production has more to do with the QB and the line than his ability.

3.Kraft prolly is offering a lot less than Mankins was asking. The saying I'm sorry publicly is dumb.

4.I like some of these moves but Lee is a good player and frankly I am sick of seeing players who used to be Bills around the league doing good or great while we sit in the cellar.

Also I think RWs wallet might be sewn shut unless there is a real need that Nix can sell it to him him bigtime, Nix aint Marv and RW prolly looks at it with a little less empathy when a GM tries to sell him an idea these days.

5.I am pretty sure after watching the QB club vid that Nix is coming around to Ralph and saying we need to do this or that and maybe he always has to do a bit of a sale to make it fly. I am sure they all think Green sucks and RW is trying to think the best way to get the replacement on the cheap if he can. It is always a gamble and he has been burned on some of those, also he is a small market owner and needs to do it in an economizing and safe way.

A GM doesn't just need dealing skills in the NFL they need to be great sales men to get rich ppl to open the purse. Rich ppl are conservative with their money and always want a discount. That is why they are rich in the first place and how they stay that way. Sorry you need to go through the ranks b4 you become my GM but best of luck.

(I just re read what I wrote and I sound like I am RW, wouldn't be funny if RW was a poster on here and we didn't know it, LOL :w00t: )

You're the GM, and as such will report to the owner. Every single NFL team needs to be profitable first and foremost so dealing Evans and Lynch for picks might sound nice, but it signals they're quitting this season by the trade deadline. No one in upper management wants empty seats, especially since this will be a long season with a few blackouts.

Secondly, Mankins wants Jahri Evans money, not the figures you mentioned. And why in heck would Bill Belichick deal Mankins at all when the team is trying to prove a point, especially to a division opponent that plays NE twice a year? Furthermore, Levitre is not a NFL RT or LT. He's principally a guard that worked at LT in an emergency last season. The team didn't keep him there amid all the problems at OT in 2009-10.

I am 21 and still learning the trade, but feel like I'm pretty far ahead for people my age when it comes to this stuff. As for Belichick he doesnt really care what people think, he has the rings to do what ever he wants, and I dont think any other team will give much more than what I mentioned, so you either take the trade or let him walk for nothing next season. As for Levitre I only put him at RT for the remaining season then make my permanent switch next season as mentioned above. At this point I think the seats will be empty this season whether we keep Evans or not, you saw our offense. As for Mankins we have the budget to give him a deal that satisfies both sides, especially with money we freed up by trading Evans, good coaches know talent and if Evans is put on the block there will be a few teams battling for his services which will drive his value up.

C'mon...this scenario that the OP posted would never happen with the Bills... however, I think many Bills fans are sophisticated enough to know that this team needs some long term plan, or they will never get any better. Not to get on the "Ralph is cheap" thing again, but the Bills simply don't make very forward thinking deals, they simply react to the financial aspect of each player situation as it occurs, and then cross their fingers, and hope everything works out.

C'mon...this scenario that the OP posted would never happen with the Bills... however, I think many Bills fans are sophisticated enough to know that this team needs some long term plan, or they will never get any better. Not to get on the "Ralph is cheap" thing again, but the Bills simply don't make very forward thinking deals, they simply react to the financial aspect of each player situation as it occurs, and then cross their fingers, and hope everything works out.

Not to hijack the thread, but I think the main reason top execs and coaches avoid Buffalo isn't the weather but a lack of direction. It's hard for RW and the inner-circle to make any long term plans with ownership being what it is. I'm convinced Nix has a long term plan but whether he has time to implement it is another thing. SD's rebuild took 3 regular seasons and 4 off-seasons. RW turns 92, which puts the owner at 94-95 by the time Buffalo is competitive again.

But I'd agree that the decisions are short sighted and not made by qualified football people, and that includes previous "football" people like Guy and Jauron. I'm just not convinced that people like Overdorf and Littman aren't still making decisions that are short sighted. And those latter two aren't going anywhere but on RW's gravy train.

I think Nix proved that Ralph has put some trust in the GM position. Nix did the draft the way he wanted, now the next step is to convince Ralph why a few big moves like trading Evans and signing Mankins will only help make the Bills a contender. I truly think the Bills can be a contender in 2 years if they play their cards right, we are not too far away. If we can land Mankins and move Evans/Lynch for the picks I mentioned then we are in great shape already for next year. We get our QB and LT and let our new QB learn the ropes and get familiar with the new line next year. After next year I think with a first round WR, second round MLB, a key FA signing we become a contender entering our QB's second season and only grow stronger from there.