Let me ask this

thewildrabbit

About the only good thing to say about yesterday was we came out of the game without putting someone else on IR. Losing Poz is bad, but almost expected from him, unfortunately.

Also, go back and look at the games last year when Freddy was the only back. We actually had some offense. I say put Freddy as the feature back, use CJ for special formations, etc and use Thugshawn as the guy to put in there when you need two tough yards. Maybe CJ can be the guy next year. Right now I think Freddy is best suited for the supporting cast we have (ie he knows how to operate behind no OL)

Just my 2 cents.

Gailey = Offensive Guru?

I know I've heard that before. Gailey will play to his players strengths? Spiller will make the line look better? This team is more dysfunctional in more areas than is even comprehendable. The scouts, Owner, Head Coach, GM, QB, OLB, OT, TE, are possibly the worst in the NFL.

There's a reason Gailey was fired preseason, and we gladly scooped him up like a Raider cast off to take us to the Superbowl?

Being a fan of this current team is like having an ugly twin brother, your stuck with him till your gone.

Finally a post with some sense. I too was confused when we came out with 3 passing plays. the first one to freddy, who is coming off a broken hand injury, what sense did that make? It hit him right in the hands, albeit his bad hand. Although if he catches it he did have some space to run. But then on 2nd down again, a pass play. And then a 3rd and long. I could have sworn we wanted to establish the run, so that would open are pass and give trent some confidence. I guess i was mistaken

I don't blame Trent for the loss, I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the worst offensive line play I have ever witnessed. There is not one guy in this group that could start anywhere else in the league right now period. When they blocked a little by accident, we scored. The rest of the time Trent and anyone else with the football in his hands behind the line of scrimmage ran for his life. No amount of talent in either the RB position, or QB position can perform effectively under that much constant duress period.

This is not a surprise, nor should it be to anyone with any football knowledge, the front office did not do anything to improve this area of need, which you can't blame either. They focused on upgrading defense and drafted an offensive talent which was sorely needed. Spiller might very well be the next Thurman Thomas, and I am willing to accept the drawbacks of not drafting an OT instead, I think Spiller will be worth it. I saw enough on the defensive side of the ball in one game that gives me hope for the future of this team.

No doubt our OL played like poop. However, TE has to take much of the blame as well. He played like poop too. He doesn't even remotely know how to play under pressure and has little ability to create/extend plays like the good qbs do. There is plenty of blame to go around and TE shouldn't be let off scott free.

I must admit that I was more worried about our defense than our offense. WOW, was I ever wrong. Offensive showed us nothing and the defense was decent. I can't help but to wonder was the defense ok because we were playing the inept offensively challenged Dolphins? There pass offense really looked bad. For me, the jury is still out on the defense. I am not convinced that we our a solid defensive team. Wonder how the D is going to look against the Packers?

Yea Trent Edwards stunk it up, but so did his head coach. poor game plan, poor play calling poor scheme. Not what most of us were expecting to see after the last 3 preseason games.

You guys blame Edwards all you want, Gailey takes credit for this disaster IMO

When Miami plays 9, yes I repeat 9!!! men in the box because they have absolutely zero respect for what Edwards can do to them in the passing game, you have no chance running the ball unless you can force them out of that defense by making them pay. Edwards never came close to making them pay, and so they kept 9 men in the box all game long. If we took a high school QB and threw him in the game, he couldn't have played any worse than Edwards. It is a joke that Edwards is currently an NFL QB with performances like that. When you simply root for the offense to get a few first downs because you have gotten accustomed to them being so bad, it is a sad, sad state of affairs. So yes Edwards is getting the blame because he sucks, and further more, teams know he sucks and that he is paralyzed when he has the ball in his hands and his receivers don't have 5 yards on the nearest defender. Playing 9 men in the box is basically the D Coordinator coming up to the opposing team's QB and just B word slapping him in the face. Edwards got B word slapped and then ran and hid behind the coach all game.

When Miami plays 9, yes I repeat 9!!! men in the box because they have absolutely zero respect for what Edwards can do to them in the passing game, you have no chance running the ball unless you can force them out of that defense by making them pay. Edwards never came close to making them pay, and so they kept 9 men in the box all game long. If we took a high school QB and threw him in the game, he couldn't have played any worse than Edwards. It is a joke that Edwards is currently an NFL QB with performances like that. When you simply root for the offense to get a few first downs because you have gotten accustomed to them being so bad, it is a sad, sad state of affairs. So yes Edwards is getting the blame because he sucks, and further more, teams know he sucks and that he is paralyzed when he has the ball in his hands and his receivers don't have 5 yards on the nearest defender. Playing 9 men in the box is basically the D Coordinator coming up to the opposing team's QB and just B word slapping him in the face. Edwards got B word slapped and then ran and hid behind the coach all game.

So if everyone knows he sucks. THEN WHY START THE GAME THROWING THE BALL!! Then continue to throw it all game long, while not even trying to run the ball with that great new 1st round draft pick who was supposed to make the line better!

So If the Dolphins stack 9 in the box and constantly run blitz which also effectively puts pressure on the QB, and he constantly has defenders in his face because of the rush.... Is it Edwards job to find plays that work against that run blitzing, OR THE FREAKING COACH!

first series:

1st play Shotgun: pass to Jackson incomplete,,, a pass to the guy with the injured hand and he drops it ---pass was out in 2 seconds

2nd play shotgun: pass to Spiller batted down---pass was out in 2 seconds

3rd play shotgun : sacked in 2 seconds after the snap, defender came clean from left side and hit Edwards from blindside

second series:

1st play shotgun: hand off Spiller run play up the middle gain of 6

2nd play shotgun: hand off Spiller gain of 1

3rd play shotgun pass play over the middle to 96 1st down pass out in 2 seconds defender came clean on left side and hit Edwards just after release

4th play 32 yd line 1st n 10. play action to Spiller left side gain of 2

5th play 34 yd line 2nd n 8 shotgun check down to Spiller left side, tackled as he catches the ball loss of 4 yards

This last play on this series is very telling about the O line play

6th play, 30 yd line, 3rd and 12, shotgun: pass play to Evans at the 31- pass was out in 3 seconds, 2 defenders closing on Edwards and 1/2 second away from hitting him from a THREE MAN RUSH---both guards and center blocking one defender up the middle, while Green whiffing on his block. Edwards no time to find anyone downfield: completed pass for a one yard gain

Clearly Edwards had very little time to throw most of the game, while I'll admit Edwards stunk it up like I stated eariler, this loss is not just his fault when he has no time to throw and the running game is non existent

All you did in your post was b!tch about Edwards just like most everyone else

Just curious....Do you have a count of # of plays where the Dolphins had 9 men in the box. In majority of the offensive series, every incomplete pass had the defender being covered by a DB or a LB.

Seems like everyone but a few are disagreeing with this, most just want to blame it all on Edwards

WTF happened to the 3 step drop passes, the slants and quick outs to open up the passing game and running game. I'll tell you what happened, the receivers were getting bumped and knocked out of their routes at the LoS and when the QB has no outlet to throw to... it destroys the entire offensive game plan. Gailey didn't adjust his plan at all, so if the first plan fails then the offense is screwed

Only fools will blame this loss on one guy, this was a total team screw up by the coaches, players and FO who refused to bring in proper talent at the tackle position

The coach planned the game using the shot yourself in the foot gun, lets face it although it is supposed to be more protective of the QB, when your opponite stacks the box and 7 rush 5 or 6 because the know you are going to pass short. Well, the coach is not putting you in the best position to win. I am really quizzed why he went with this plan and wondering if he watched film from last season at all. It is funny because preseason we ran pro set and play action was something Trent seemed to have a grasp of. I know FJ is good but CJ needs touches but WTF, after the 2nd series, I knew we were in for a bad day. I really hoped he would of scraped the gameplan by 1/2 time but that wasn't the case either?

And sure I blame Trent and the damn fool line but going shotgun and short plays directed at the outside was a big mistake. One that makes me point at the coach. I hope he learned from this game I really do.

Edited by bowery4

Gailey implied in the PC that he got away from the running game because it wasn't working. The OL wasn't able to move anybody or make the holes and the backs weren't hitting them or hitting them right when they were there.

Reading between the lines, he's saying this offense isn't ready. It could be that his efforts as a mad alchemist hit on the just the right ingredients or that he gets disillusioned of the notion that there was a cohesive talent base on this offense that he can mix into his strange brew.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

but you could look at it the opposite... since running is supposed to be the strength of the team, why didn't the run open up the pass? with the line getting blown up we really had no chance at running or passing effectively. maybe we needed a different gameplan, cuz whatever that was, we could not execute it or defense was playing it perfectly.

The Bills may have to install a cut blocking technique, early in games with a 3 step drop passing game just to slow down the interior push. Miami got a lot of pressure early right up the middle, causing the batted down passes. I think this would slow this push from the D-line and give them something to think about before they bull right in. Next mix up this with some screens and draw plays to keep them off balanced...just a thought.