Give Chan more than 1 game!

WNY

Nobody's blaming Chan...

How many "one more games" do we have to give trent?

Im blaming him! Yes he deserves a chance..one game is nothing....BUT it is the coaches job to put players in a position to win, and he didnt do that today. He was calling the plays. You dont set up the run by passing the 1st three plays of the game. This is a running team, and all he did was pass. Our #1 pick got what, 6 carries? WTF is that? Running picks up momentum as you run plays, the runner gets hot and the offense wears down the D. That in turn sets up the pass. This game plan was horrid. The D kept us in there, but the offense didnt do anything for the umpteenth year in a row. LOTS of work to do, but I saw no reason be very optimistic

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea was to spread them out with the shotgun, but they did eventually switch to the power I towards the third quarter and the drive stalled out like the others. Edwards is simply incapable, making us prone to blitzing.

No doubt, but as Edwards' coach, Gailey should have realized this and protected the team with a better gameplan.

The two total anti-jauron moves I liked were trying to kick the fg at the end of the first half with one second left and taking the safety deliberately. The safety was a ballsy move that didnt work however at least he said f%*k it took a stand and said I'm going to go for it whereas dicky wouldve rather have lost by 3 than 5 even if the safety might have given them a better chance at recovering the kick and winning the game....

I think that was a statistically valid call. If they would have gotten a TD in the final minute Gailey would be a hero. Someone should remind him he is coaching in Buffalo, and the only breaks the Bills get are bones.

I said it in another thread. The play calling was below average today. Im hoping Chan was just nervous and this game gets all the cob webs out.

I have no clue what you are talking about.

The game plan or offensive philosophy is to strike w/quick, short but accurate throws, run the ball, and build off of that success to bigger plays and throws down field.

Now, if the line can't stop Betty White on a pre-Snickers pass rush, how can anyone be expected to pass anything?

Oh yeah, the line also can't seem to move a 90-year old woman in a wheelchair up to the driveway of her retirement home; how can we expect it to open up holes for Spiller, Marshawn, and Fred?

Why do you think they kept bouncing outside?

Yes i agree we are pathetic( on the lines of both sides of the ball), but you have to remember we have the same talent as we did last year. The play calling was significantly different from what we saw last year. I think Chan took a job and will run with it, he wants to be here. Let's just see what he can do. Sit back and enjoy being a BILLS fan. It something you do, not necessarily enjoy.

Please elaborate on that point about the play calling being different.

How was this games offense any different then what we saw last year or more importantly what we saw two years ago with Turk Schonert as OC, when Edwards would start the game in shotgun formation and try and throw all game long

I have no clue what you are talking about.

The game plan or offensive philosophy is to strike w/quick, short but accurate throws, run the ball, and build off of that success to bigger plays and throws down field.

Now, if the line can't stop Betty White on a pre-Snickers pass rush, how can anyone be expected to pass anything?

Oh yeah, the line also can't seem to move a 90-year old woman in a wheelchair up to the driveway of her retirement home; how can we expect it to open up holes for Spiller, Marshawn, and Fred?

Why do you think they kept bouncing outside?

So you're saying that the gameplan is to set up the run with the pass, and not the other way around?

If that is really the philosophy, considering how this team is built, the Bills are doomed to finish 2-14 this year.

After going 5-11 and looking this bad in week 1, I guess we are allowed to be pessimistic..

I mean honestly were you expecting this team to come out and light the world on fire in the first week? This team is not going to make the playoffs with this roster, and there are more then likely going to be more of these kind of games this season. It's not fair though to start blaming Gailey already and that this is all his fault.

Im blaming him! Yes he deserves a chance..one game is nothing....BUT it is the coaches job to put players in a position to win, and he didnt do that today. He was calling the plays. You dont set up the run by passing the 1st three plays of the game. This is a running team, and all he did was pass. Our #1 pick got what, 6 carries? WTF is that? Running picks up momentum as you run plays, the runner gets hot and the offense wears down the D. That in turn sets up the pass. This game plan was horrid. The D kept us in there, but the offense didnt do anything for the umpteenth year in a row. LOTS of work to do, but I saw no reason be very optimistic

I agree with everything you stated

I blame the head coach who was calling the offensive plays, and set up the game plan and scheme. What happened to getting Spiller in open space, the QB getting the ball out in under three seconds to defeat a strong pass rush.

As bad as Trent Edwards looked today it all has to fall on Chan Gailey

Edited by thewildrabbit

Nobody's blaming Chan...

How many "one more games" do we have to give trent?

Alot of the blame falls on Chan.

Yes, Trent sucks, but Chan is the one who chose him.

The play calling today was pathetic. Trent is getting critcized for throwing short passes, but most of the time, that was all that was available. On many of the drives were we had 3rd and long, there wasn't a reeiver running downfield. They all seemed to be running crossing routes or curls, coming back toward the ball. As much as I loved the play design and playcalling in preseason, I hated it today.

Chan was terrible today.

Please elaborate on that point about the play calling being different.

How was this games offense any different then what we saw last year or more importantly what we saw two years ago with Turk Schonert as OC, when Edwards would start the game in shotgun formation and try and throw all game long

Elaborate? We didn't win! WOW!. Playing to the end of the second half. Mixing formations. I'm not sure that you are paying attention. We have a very poor offensive line, (go figure)but i saw a lot of different formations. We should have run at least once on the last drive on our own 1 yard line. We should have not passed three times in a row on our first drive. BUT we did, everyone expects us to run. Why not try to pass? If it work,s CHAN is a Genius. Sorry same team, different year. BUT YOU STILL HAVE A NEW COACH!

My anger for the chan criticism comes from those bumbling douches on WGR on the post game. :wallbash:

Thank you. They themselves seemed to not believe the script given to them by Entercom. So many options to legitimately crap on discuss and they run the bus right off the road.

Edited by ConradDobler

Elaborate? We didn't win! WOW!. Playing to the end of the second half. Mixing formations. I'm not sure that you are paying attention. We have a very poor offensive line, (go figure)but i saw a lot of different formations. We should have run at least once on the last drive on our own 1 yard line. We should have not passed three times in a row on our first drive. BUT we did, everyone expects us to run. Why not try to pass? If it work,s CHAN is a Genius. Sorry same team, different year. BUT YOU STILL HAVE A NEW COACH!

Why not try to pass? Hmmm, let's see...The QB is mediocre, the WR corps are thin, the TEs are subpar, the guards are better than the tackles, and oh yeah, the team is loaded at RB (if you have two 1st round RBs on your roster, you better use them).

Chan would be more than a genius to make this gameplan work, he'd be a magician, because there's no way in hell the Bills are built right now to support a 2:1 pass/run ratio.

This gameplan was as bad as Jauron believing that he had the personnel to run the no-huddle last season.

But it's the first game, and who knows, maybe Jackson and Lynch are more injured than the team is letting on. Hopefully over the next few games Gailey will increase the number of runs in the gameplan.

Agreed...no need to panic yet. This is a work in progress and we can't expect perfection overnight.

Gailey has the experience. I doubt he was "nervous" as one poster put it. I've said before that we'll know what we have in 3-4 weeks. We shouldn't have expected miracles on opening day. Now let's see how the coaches adjust and how the players take it.

Agreed...no need to panic yet. This is a work in progress and we can't expect perfection overnight.

Gailey has the experience. I doubt he was "nervous" as one poster put it. I've said before that we'll know what we have in 3-4 weeks. We shouldn't have expected miracles on opening day. Now let's see how the coaches adjust and how the players take it.

I didn't expect mircles. I did expect coach Gailey to have a very soild innovative offensive game plan. I expected Gailey to make calls that adhanced our chances for success. Instead, I saw a coach that appeared to be out manuvered and outmanned. I think Gailey must now realize how bad his offensive line and QB really are. Sad thing is many of us already knew. Perhaps his ego got in the way.

Edited by mpl6876

The two total anti-jauron moves I liked were trying to kick the fg at the end of the first half with one second left and taking the safety deliberately. The safety was a ballsy move that didnt work however at least he said f%*k it took a stand and said I'm going to go for it whereas dicky wouldve rather have lost by 3 than 5 even if the safety might have given them a better chance at recovering the kick and winning the game....

Recovering the kick????

They kicked it away to a fair catch.

It was a stupid play overall.

I didn't expect mircles. I did expect coach Gailey to have a very soild innovative offensive game plan. I expected Gailey to make calls that adhanced our chances for success. Instead, I saw a coach that appeared to be out manuvered and outmanned. I think Gailey must now realize how bad his offensive line and QB really are. Sad thing is many of us already knew. Perhaps his ego got in the way.

Who knows...perhaps Miami's D was better than we expected or perhaps the o-line needs a few more games to round into shape.

I can understand everyone's frustration with Edwards, but there's no reason for impatient fans screaming for the coach to go after 1 stinkin' game.