Favorite announcers

DBilz2500

I was checking the TV listings earlier in the week and saw that Gus Johnson and Steve Tasker are calling the game. Gus is by the far the most exciting announcer in all of sports right now and he finds a way to make even the most boring of games exciting. Tasker has improved over the years as a color guy and I do think he compliments Gus pretty well. So I am pretty excited this week to have Gus and Tasker calling the game for us. I am so glad CBS calls the AFC games, I cant stand FOX and their boring announcers and cheesy graphics(especially those robot characters between commercials). What are other favorite announcing teams of everyone else out there??

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the original comment about Fox. Can't listen to Joe Buck, though Aikman is solid.

Gus Johnson is decent and excitable, but he's still rough around the edges. He sounds like a really, really good college student announcer, if that makes any sense. Tasker isn't good.

The best play-by-play guy out there, and it's a shame he isn't used more often, is Sean McDonough. He does mainly college football stuff for ESPN, but made his name doing the World Series for CBS in the early '90s. Even then he was in his mid-20s and was one of the best.

Edited by GOBILLS78

I agree with the original comment about Fox. Can't listen to Joe Buck, though Aikman is solid.

Gus Johnson is decent and excitable, but he's still rough around the edges. He sounds like a really, really good college student announcer, if that makes any sense. Tasker isn't good.

The best play-by-play guy out there, and it's a shame he isn't used more often, is Sean McDonough. He does mainly college football stuff for ESPN, but made his name doing the World Series for CBS in the early '90s. Even then he was in his mid-20s and was one of the best.

Yup, that's why he rocks during March Madness. I actually like Dierdorf(sp) because he's good at analyzing the O-lines, and I think Tirico is the smoothest lead out there.

Yup, that's why he rocks during March Madness. I actually like Dierdorf(sp) because he's good at analyzing the O-lines, and I think Tirico is the smoothest lead out there.

Also, on a different note, ESPN's tennis coverage has been suberb as well.

There's no great pairing out there IMO. I think Kenny Albert & Moose Johnston are pretty good, but they are ruined by the moron Tony Siragusa. I think Mike Tirico and Jaws are pretty good, but Gruden's "I'm a doofus" speech pattern is really irritating. Gus Johnson is outstanding, but has no help (not that he really needs it).

It's a shame that Marv Albert and Boomer Esiason have been relegated to Westwood One on the radio... they're very good. I think Marv Albert is the best announcer of all time - he can do any sport.

It's also fun to listen to the team's radio announcers using NFL Audio Pass... it's amazing how bad some of the announcers are. Examples: Myron Cope in Pittsburgh, who has finally retired... the analyst for Cincy (Dave Lapham) is really bad. The guys who do Chicago Bears radio are pretty good. But speaking of the gold standard...

Van Miller. Everyone's grandpa, and you still hear him often in NFL Films work.

BTW - Someone please pat me on the back -- I am no longer on probation. :D

I cant stand FOX and their boring announcers and cheesy graphics(especially those robot characters between commercials). What are other favorite announcing teams of everyone else out there??

Yeah - that thing is idiotic - the sort of "technical icon that appeals to non-technical folks", I suppose. At some point the people who still think that represents "cool" will all be over 65 and hopefully Fox will give it up.

As someone who does robot AI for a living, I find it really irritating and just plain boring-dumb.

Gus Johnson is pretty good. I just wish he wasn't paired up with Tasker. I really want to like him but just isn't that good.

Definitely have to give a nod to Van Miller. His calls made some of the greatest Bills moments in history to date all that much better.

Well just because no one else is saying it, Al Micheals has been at the top of the mountain for a long time, and deservedly so.

Michaels/Madden perhaps all time greatest.

:thumbdown:

Yikes. I know this is purely a matter of taste, but I think Al Michaels has become very irritating, and Madden should have hung up the mic about 10 yrs earlier than he did. That pairing was lousy.

The best football announcers of all time? A toss-up between Lindsey Nelson and Keith Jackson, with props to Van Miller in his prime.

I have been told I do a good Keith Jackson impression.

In terms of play by play, Dick Enberg is the Gold Standard...Gus Johnson is a very solid one as well...Starting to really enjoy Kevin Harlan. Very intense voice

OK, yes, Enberg is great. But let's not beat around the bush here. He was the gold standard 20 years ago. His age is showing now. He's reminding me of Van in the tail end of his career.