Does Shefter and Mortenson know football?

Mortensen used to be a good reporter, but his sources seemed to have dried up, and his recent track record has made him a laughingstock.

Schefter is a very good reporter who still has excellent sources.

Neither's opinion as an analyst is any better than the average fan. ESPN tries to blur the line between reporter and analyst as much as possible, but there's a big difference between guys like Mort/Schefter/Clayton and guys like Allen/Golic/Hoge.

Mortensen used to be a good reporter, but his sources seemed to have dried up, and his recent track record has made him a laughingstock.

Neither's opinion as an analyst is any better than the average fan. ESPN tries to blur the line between reporter and analyst as much as possible, but there's a big difference between guys like Mort/Schefter/Clayton and guys like Allen/Golic/Hoge.

You need to post more often.

Schefter used to be pretty good when he was with NFL Network. That's when he had all the good sources. Since he made a stink and thought he was too cool and then left to ESPN, he lost a lot of them and is now resorting to being a crap throwing monkey. He's nowhere near as good or accurate as he was when he worked for the league.

A lot of people say this, but is there really any truth to it?

Well, there is never going to be any proof of it, if that's what you mean. I used to like him, and said on this board several times that I thought he was pretty good when he was on NFL Network. I noticed myself that he seemed different on ESPN, with a lot more wild claims that later didn't turn out to be true. That was before I heard first hand from a pretty well known reporter about what happened to him and why. It reinforced my opinion, and made sense, but it was still just second hand information.

Well, there is never going to be any proof of it, if that's what you mean. I used to like him, and said on this board several times that I thought he was pretty good when he was on NFL Network. I noticed myself that he seemed different on ESPN, with a lot more wild claims that later didn't turn out to be true. That was before I heard first hand from a pretty well known reporter about what happened to him and why. It reinforced my opinion, and made sense, but it was still just second hand information.

Well sir, care to enlighten us to your second hand information?

Unfortunately, no. Being right this week about the Bills notwithstanding, these guys know nothing more than the guy three cubicles down at your office.

They simply have the job of culling internet reports and making randon connections into a twenty word tweet every once in a while, and making suppositions based on the weaknesses of a team.

Tomorrow, if a prima donna LT got released, Shefter would immediately tweet that the Bills had been in trade discussions with team XYZ about this player. There is nothing behind this other than Shefter keeping a list of teams that have questionable LTs vs. the fact that an LT being released.

I really don't care that they both picked the Bills this week. They're both RIGHT, of course, we are going to kill the Dolphins about 37 - 24, but that doesn't mean they know anything more than you or I do.

Most of Shefter's picks were against the grain of his peers.

Bills over Fins

Skins over Cowboys

Eagles over Packers

Lions over Bears

Chiefs over Chargers

Seahawks over 49ers

Raiders over Titans

It's like his picks are from week one, 1988.

I wonder if he is just picking all underdogs or if he really 'believes' in his picks? :cry: