Shawn Nelson Suspension

bills in va

I asked Chris Brown of Inside the Bills about Shawn Nelsons suspension. He told me it was most likely due to a GNC supplement that had a banned substance. He said alot of rookies make similar mistakes, no big deal. I had to disagree with him and said that if it were that simple, why not say so instead of leaving the fans to wonder if he's a drug addict or just stupid for not reading labels. If alot of rookies make those mistakes then why not more suspensions? He then chastized me and said I shouldn't "throw stones" because I don't know all the facts. Well then why doesn't OBD provide some answers?

So my questions to you guys are:

What was the substance Shawn Nelson was suspended for?

If it was so innocent why the information blackout and secrecy?

Is Chris Brown just a master propoganda puppet for the Bills?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a fine line between "secrecy" and "none of your stinkin business"

Agreed. I think it might be nice to give an update to dispel drug rumors. But there are reasons teams don't want to release any info. Once you make this comment (to help out Nelson) then you are expected to comment in every case, or you are damning by silence. The team's position (and most teams' position) is to stay silent on the infraction.

I asked Chris Brown of Inside the Bills about Shawn Nelsons suspension. He told me it was most likely due to a GNC supplement that had a banned substance. He said alot of rookies make similar mistakes, no big deal. I had to disagree with him and said that if it were that simple, why not say so instead of leaving the fans to wonder if he's a drug addict or just stupid for not reading labels. If alot of rookies make those mistakes then why not more suspensions? He then chastized me and said I shouldn't "throw stones" because I don't know all the facts. Well then why doesn't OBD provide some answers?

So my questions to you guys are:

What was the substance Shawn Nelson was suspended for?

If it was so innocent why the information blackout and secrecy?

Is Chris Brown just a master propoganda puppet for the Bills?

I think the main reason that no one declares the substance revolves around the privacy of said player. No matter how you look at these types of tests, they are medical tests and subject to medical privacy guidelines. The only times you get that information is when the player tells the media or gives the OK for the team to do so.

For all we know it had nothign to do with football or training. Maybe he's taking penis enlargement pill san dthey have a small amount of a banned substance, which over time built up in his system and caused a positive test. Understandably, he doesn't want to entire world (including his peers playing football) knowing what he's taking.

I think the main reason that no one declares the substance revolves around the privacy of said player. No matter how you look at these types of tests, they are medical tests and subject to medical privacy guidelines. The only times you get that information is when the player tells the media or gives the OK for the team to do so.

For all we know it had nothign to do with football or training. Maybe he's taking penis enlargement pill san dthey have a small amount of a banned substance, which over time built up in his system and caused a positive test. Understandably, he doesn't want to entire world (including his peers playing football) knowing what he's taking.

Penis size has a positive correlation with football skill. It's science :rolleyes:

Agreed. I think it might be nice to give an update to dispel drug rumors. But there are reasons teams don't want to release any info. Once you make this comment (to help out Nelson) then you are expected to comment in every case, or you are damning by silence. The team's position (and most teams' position) is to stay silent on the infraction.

Correct. By setting a precedent of silence on the matter, the teams can state 'you dont know all the facts' regardless of the scenario. He could have used a diuretic from GNC, or have been chasing his steroids with heroin and we would get the same response. There is most likely a clause in the existing CBA to allow for player privacy in most situations.

Maybe he's taking penis enlargement pill san dthey have a small amount of a banned substance, which over time built up in his system and caused a positive test. Understandably, he doesn't want to entire world (including his peers playing football) knowing what he's taking.

:w00t: LMFAO!!!:doh: That's some funny butt poop right there.

Not that Nelson isn't a world class dick, but I blame the union. It's always a GNC supplement, they don't elaborate, just tow the company line.

When "the company" pays you the kind of money these guys make, and when your career is as short as it is in the NFL, towing the company line might be the wise decision.

Just sayin'.

When "the company" pays you the kind of money these guys make, and when your career is as short as it is in the NFL, towing the company line might be the wise decision.

Just sayin'.

Don't disagree, but some people take issue with it, like Chris Brown. I really don't care, just want him to be a productive player for the Bills.

Does it really matter what it was?

It was illegal for his job. He got in trouble for it.

What matters now is if he stays clean.

I hope he does, and it's none of my business what it was in the first place.

Good luck Shawn, I hope to have you back on the team and providing productivity for our offense. :)

I think they're not saying anything just to keep it from being a big deal or distraction. If they start talking about it more questions will follow etc... Its more likely people will forget about it if they dont talk about it. I'm not trying to compare it to the cushing situation but if cushing had just shut the f*#k up it would have still been big but not as big and wouldve died down sooner instead he and his camp kept coming up with denials and assanine reasons for why he tested positive.... I'm not saying I agree with their position of not revealing any details. I'm just pointing out a possible reason as to why they're not saying anything

Also, a lot of people here seem to be saying "drug addict", has this been a perpetual problem for him? Or was it a first time offense? Is it impossible to imagine that he took something, possibly unknowingly, and popped positive and he is embarrassed about it?

Why are we so quick to assume "guilty"?

He !@#$ed up. Lets give it time to see how he responds on the field, not in press release/interviews.

Perhaps there are HIPAA issues involved, or NFLPA issues, or some other issues the keep the Bills from releasing every single private detail about their players' lives. I think if it were something more serious than a banned substance in a GNC supplement, we'd probably figure that out when we saw Nelson's name on the waiver wire - so apparently the Bills are not overly concerned. Pissed, probably, but not overly concerned.

Bummer that a stupid mistake is costing the Bills his services for 4 weeks tho.

Edited by The Senator

Well then why doesn't OBD provide some answers?

Most likely for the same reason no other NFL team (or any employer, for that matter) does...health care privacy laws.

And the fact it's none of our damn business...

Edited by Lurker