Reality w/ some optimism for this year, mainly next

Virgil

As I look upon this upcoming season, there are a few thoughts that have been validated in my brain over the past few weeks. For the most part, it's easy to get caught up in they hype of what media analysts think we should do or watch what works for other teams and wonder why we don't do the same. But again, as I really think about everything from Jauron, to our current roster, to our future, I think that there are a few key things we can watch for this year. And, if those few things go well, be optimistic for our near future.

Coaching

First off, not to stick up for or defend anyone, but there is one statement that I don't think is ever made and that is: "Maybe we should draft/sign/cut/play this player because I really think he will help us lose." I also don't think that DJ personally called up Gailey and pleaded to him to keep players like Demetrius Bell on the team. With that in mind, we now have had two completely different coaches come in and believe that there are players on our team who show something in practice or on film that makes them believe they give them the most legitamite shot at winning. Also, as seen with players like TO and Vince Young, there are many players out there who may not practice well, but are great come game-time.

What that, as many of you claimed at training camp, players like Bell, Trent, and Kelsay must be doing something that gets them on the field through both regimes.

Rosters

I see many people scream out every day about who we should cut and who we should sign/draft. I admit to being someone who wants Kelsay off this team. However, I think it has become apparently obvious that absolutely none of us on this board have the slightest clue as to how talent is really evaluated in the NFL. I don't mean any disrespect, but seriously...how many of you wanted LeFevour? The dude barely got signed to a practice squad. Look at all the other people that dropped to lower rounds. Or TJ Housh, the guy many were clamoring for that got cut a year later. Leinhart, no comment. I'm not taking jabs, but just showing that most of the moves we make, or don't make, it seems that the other 31 teams agree with us. Spiller is a great player, and yes we needed a DT, LT, and OLB. But, from what we saw, it really didn't look like those guys were available. Hell, some of the OT's that were drafted before Spiller aren't even starting at OT. In any case, I find myself more relaxed about the people we pass on as it's validated throughout the league. And in all honesty, besides the QB and LT position, we are starting to see more of a trend in the NFL around depth over star quality. Think about the Pats receiving core during their dynasty. They had no one. The NFL differentiator is becoming more about one thing...scheme.

Scheme

This may sound cheezy, but I used to rock the house at NFL 2K5 for the Xbox 360. I would play all the time online and have over an 86% win percentage. How? I would play very casual, preventative, clock managing defense for the first half while I learned my opponents tendancies. Then, after half-time, pick them apart. I say this, because we have not had a coach who does this in a long time. Mularky was great a planning going into a game, and we always scored on the first drive, but then never again. DJ had a good plan going into the game, but never made any adjustments during the game. Which is why you saw two things:

~ Opposing players talking about how predictable we were and how they knew what we were doing.

~ We actually were tied or ahead in the majority of our games this past season.

Both of those things make a lot of sense based off what are coaches were doing, or not doing. End result, Gailey was brought in as an offensive minded coach who is great at schemes. We have two great backs that he plans to utilize in a variety of situations as well as finally take advantage of Parrish in the slot. But, we'll see how it goes.

Overall

I truly believe that if we see the following, this season will be a solid 8-8, 9-7 team with next year a legit shot at the playoffs

~Troup becomess the NT we need for a 3-4 and if atleast one of Bell/Green/O'Sullivan can become a serviceable OT.

~We see adjustments at both halftime in games, and most importantly, week 9 of the season (Bills from two years ago and Broncos from last year)

If I see those two things, where we can focus the following year on QB, LT, and OLB help through FA or draft, things will look good.

"Think about the Pats receiving core during their dynasty. They had no one" - OP

what? while I dont disagree with the majority of the post, what is this about the Pats not having any WR's? Randy Moss? Wes Welker? is that the no one you are referring to?

The Pats won Super Bowls without either of those guys on the team.

"Think about the Pats receiving core during their dynasty. They had no one" - OP

what? while I dont disagree with the majority of the post, what is this about the Pats not having any WR's? Randy Moss? Wes Welker? is that the no one you are referring to?

Moss and Welker weren't on the Pats Super Bowl winning teams (they were on the losing SB team). I think that was the point. The Pats won their Super Bowls with guys like David Givens and Deion Branch playing WR.

I think he may be speaking of the 2001,2003,2004 Superbowl Champ Pats

Troy Brown

Dave Patten

etc

Solid players, no big stars

Interesting post. I'd like to comment on the rosters part.

Rosters- There are a ton of teams that have drafted better, evaluate talent better, sign better free agents and build better teams than the Bills have over the last 10 years. They have been drifting aimlessly for a decade. Never had a solid plan. Hindsight is 20/20 no doubt. One example- 2007 NFL Draft. 12th pick. Bills RB Marshawn Lynch- Cal. 14th pick Jets CB Darrelle Revis- Pitt. Nate Clements left as a FA after the 2006 season. Lynch played at California. Revis at Pitt. How do you blow that pick? Then in the first round in 2008 at #11, they take a CB! Leodis McKelvin, who has bust written all over him. The 2008 draft was a disaster. Ellis and Bell. That's it unless McKelvin pans out. How the hell do you build a team when you totally blow draft after draft? 2009 first round. They take Maybin over Orakpo. Maybin had potential. Orakpo stepped right in and made the Pro Bowl as a reserve- as a rookie! Washington switched to the 3-4 this year. "Orakpo, the Redskins' most explosive pass rusher, will take the lead as the "Buck" LB" in the new 3-4" Smart, tough and one of the best LB's in the NFL. JHC. What did we get? Maybin who probably shouldn't even be in the same league as Orakpo.

You want hindsight. 2004- Bills traded a 2005 1st round pick to Dallas in order to move up and draft JP Losman. 2005 1st round. Green Bay selected Aaron Rodgers at 24th overall. Bills would have picked 20th. Green Bay let Rodgers develop for 3-4 years and he is now a "franchise" QB and GB should be a strong playoff contender this year. How did that work out for the Bills? Losman applied at McDonald's today and we are far from a playoff team and have no decent QB's to speak of.

I get the point you were trying to make. I just don't see the optimism yet. If they had a plan 5 years ago and stuck to it and made better decisons, we'd have a playoff team by now instead of this mess.

As I look upon this upcoming season, there are a few thoughts that have been validated in my brain over the past few weeks. For the most part, it's easy to get caught up in they hype of what media analysts think we should do or watch what works for other teams and wonder why we don't do the same. But again, as I really think about everything from Jauron, to our current roster, to our future, I think that there are a few key things we can watch for this year. And, if those few things go well, be optimistic for our near future.

Coaching

First off, not to stick up for or defend anyone, but there is one statement that I don't think is ever made and that is: "Maybe we should draft/sign/cut/play this player because I really think he will help us lose." I also don't think that DJ personally called up Gailey and pleaded to him to keep players like Demetrius Bell on the team. With that in mind, we now have had two completely different coaches come in and believe that there are players on our team who show something in practice or on film that makes them believe they give them the most legitamite shot at winning. Also, as seen with players like TO and Vince Young, there are many players out there who may not practice well, but are great come game-time.

What that, as many of you claimed at training camp, players like Bell, Trent, and Kelsay must be doing something that gets them on the field through both regimes.

Rosters

I see many people scream out every day about who we should cut and who we should sign/draft. I admit to being someone who wants Kelsay off this team. However, I think it has become apparently obvious that absolutely none of us on this board have the slightest clue as to how talent is really evaluated in the NFL. I don't mean any disrespect, but seriously...how many of you wanted LeFevour? The dude barely got signed to a practice squad. Look at all the other people that dropped to lower rounds. Or TJ Housh, the guy many were clamoring for that got cut a year later. Leinhart, no comment. I'm not taking jabs, but just showing that most of the moves we make, or don't make, it seems that the other 31 teams agree with us. Spiller is a great player, and yes we needed a DT, LT, and OLB. But, from what we saw, it really didn't look like those guys were available. Hell, some of the OT's that were drafted before Spiller aren't even starting at OT. In any case, I find myself more relaxed about the people we pass on as it's validated throughout the league. And in all honesty, besides the QB and LT position, we are starting to see more of a trend in the NFL around depth over star quality. Think about the Pats receiving core during their dynasty. They had no one. The NFL differentiator is becoming more about one thing...scheme.

Scheme

This may sound cheezy, but I used to rock the house at NFL 2K5 for the Xbox 360. I would play all the time online and have over an 86% win percentage. How? I would play very casual, preventative, clock managing defense for the first half while I learned my opponents tendancies. Then, after half-time, pick them apart. I say this, because we have not had a coach who does this in a long time. Mularky was great a planning going into a game, and we always scored on the first drive, but then never again. DJ had a good plan going into the game, but never made any adjustments during the game. Which is why you saw two things:

~ Opposing players talking about how predictable we were and how they knew what we were doing.

~ We actually were tied or ahead in the majority of our games this past season.

Both of those things make a lot of sense based off what are coaches were doing, or not doing. End result, Gailey was brought in as an offensive minded coach who is great at schemes. We have two great backs that he plans to utilize in a variety of situations as well as finally take advantage of Parrish in the slot. But, we'll see how it goes.

Overall

I truly believe that if we see the following, this season will be a solid 8-8, 9-7 team with next year a legit shot at the playoffs

~Troup becomess the NT we need for a 3-4 and if atleast one of Bell/Green/O'Sullivan can become a serviceable OT.

~We see adjustments at both halftime in games, and most importantly, week 9 of the season (Bills from two years ago and Broncos from last year)

If I see those two things, where we can focus the following year on QB, LT, and OLB help through FA or draft, things will look good.

Derek, I full heartedly agree with you that offensive schemes are key, and so is coaching mentality, preparedness, adjustments, not just at halftime but thru out the game. To some on this board talent is No.1. To me Coaching is No.1. Talent and character/team player mentality is No.2. The right coaches can mesh players together to do extraordinary things. I will never waver from this. The more talent the better, but if we don't have a coach that can bring it all into one cohesive efficient machine, the talent won't matter. I think we have the right coach now.