up grades at QB position

KRT88

Hey, look! It's a week before the opener.

Let's cut our Offensive Coordinator.

Nah, we did that last year.

Okay, yeah, I know... let get us a new QB - someone who we don't know and who doesn't know our system.

But he's got to be an upgrade over what we got - because he was a third stringer on another team and they shxt canned him.

Sweet!

:worthy:

Can we wait until we play a few games? It is obvious to most that this team is better coached and prepared than with the previous staff. When they line up they actually look like they know what to do. Let's give it a chance.

Gahd, I've had exactly the same thoughts - "when they line up, they look like they know what they're doing"

How low we have fallen.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are better quarterbacks out there.

There aren't better quarterbacks out there who know our offense and have enough reps with our receivers to be better FOR US.

Personally, I think that was the point of Gailey's "quarterback competition". I think he wanted to get to just where he is.

He must have known from the start he didn't have a marquee, sure-fire star quarterback anywhere on the team.

Safe bet his offense was planned accordingly and depends on knowing the playbook and the receivers and playing "competently enough".

By announcing a "QB competition", Gailey not only stirred up competitive juices and brought out extra effort, he almost totally dodged criticism for

not giving the starter enough reps. I don't think I've seen this critique at all - not even here.

So look where Chan is now -- sitting on 3 "known quantities" at QB who have shown they can run his offense competently and had adequate rehearsal.

I think he's relatively happy, actually. We may have more quality depth at QB than many "contender" NFL teams.

Consider NE backup QB Brian Hoyer. UDFA 2009.

Anyone here think he's top-notch NFL starter material? Didn't think so. NE is convinced he can do it at need, though.

(and NE waived their 7th round draftee, just as we did - he looked about the same as Brown, statistically)

Consider NO backup QB Chase Daniel. UDFA 2009.

I'm from Missouri so I like him; conventional wisdom around the league doesn't have him great.

Is NO scurrying and shopping for a better backup? Haven't heard so. He knows the system and he's moved the chains in preseason.

NO also just waived their #3. Will be interesting to see if they go for an upgrade.

The real Q-mark in B'lo isn't the depth or quality of our backups. That seems solid, relative to many other teams.

It's that many don't see Trent as a real option at starter.

Well, Chan decided to give him a shot and we are NOT going to pull a franchise starting QB off waivers, folks.

My $0.02, chill on the QB lust and hope we make moves that can fill in the real gaps - on OL, for example

Agree. It's not like there are great, or even good QB's out there waiting to be plucked up (and even if there was, it's not a given they would want to play for the BIlls). I am pissed they haven't come up with better options over the last 5 years or so (not that I have liked ANY of them since Kelly), and think they are treading water at QB still, but there aren't any real options right now.

Are we to believe that the team brass is OK with the 3 QB on the roster? Brian Brohm obviously isn't the answer and we know that Friz is a career backup. Wouldn't it make sense to release Brohm and pick up Troy Smith. The guy is an upgrade and if thing go south with Edwards, we have something different to try before we pick 1st overall.

Troy Smith sux.

Completely ridiculous.

Correct.

There are better quarterbacks out there.

There aren't better quarterbacks out there who know our offense and have enough reps with our receivers to be better FOR US.

Personally, I think that was the point of Gailey's "quarterback competition". I think he wanted to get to just where he is.

He must have known from the start he didn't have a marquee, sure-fire star quarterback anywhere on the team.

Safe bet his offense was planned accordingly and depends on knowing the playbook and the receivers and playing "competently enough".

By announcing a "QB competition", Gailey not only stirred up competitive juices and brought out extra effort, he almost totally dodged criticism for

not giving the starter enough reps. I don't think I've seen this critique at all - not even here.

So look where Chan is now -- sitting on 3 "known quantities" at QB who have shown they can run his offense competently and had adequate rehearsal.

I think he's relatively happy, actually. We may have more quality depth at QB than many "contender" NFL teams.

Consider NE backup QB Brian Hoyer. UDFA 2009.

Anyone here think he's top-notch NFL starter material? Didn't think so. NE is convinced he can do it at need, though.

(and NE waived their 7th round draftee, just as we did - he looked about the same as Brown, statistically)

Consider NO backup QB Chase Daniel. UDFA 2009.

I'm from Missouri so I like him; conventional wisdom around the league doesn't have him great.

Is NO scurrying and shopping for a better backup? Haven't heard so. He knows the system and he's moved the chains in preseason.

NO also just waived their #3. Will be interesting to see if they go for an upgrade.

The real Q-mark in B'lo isn't the depth or quality of our backups. That seems solid, relative to many other teams.

It's that many don't see Trent as a real option at starter.

Well, Chan decided to give him a shot and we are NOT going to pull a franchise starting QB off waivers, folks.

My $0.02, chill on the QB lust and hope we make moves that can fill in the real gaps - on OL, for example

I think thats a pretty valid assessment. I sure as hell like that we have guys who know the system as opposed to going out there and grabbing something different.

People are always going to want something different, something unknown, when they're stuck w/ the staus quo. Remember how everyone wanted Brohm to start two weeks ago. Exactly. It's used cars at this time, everyone's selling because something ain't working right.

I'm with you guy. Virtually anyone would be as good as our 3 half talent QBs. Beyond me why the "great minds" on OBD had chosen to ignore the QB position. Another year of Edwards and Fitz under center makes me fit to puke.

Let's play a few games before you continue your knee jerk PMS hissy fit. This coach and team deserve at least that.

Let's play a few games before you continue your knee jerk PMS hissy fit. This coach and team deserve at least that.

"PMS Hissy Fit"? Not sure where you are getting that, but most all of us agreed that Edwards was horrid last season. The only thing to change is Gailey. I don't believe Gailey has magical powers to make Edwards something more than what he is - mediocre. Sorry, you can be in a state of denial, I chose to call them like I see them.

I'm with you guy. Virtually anyone would be as good as our 3 half talent QBs. Beyond me why the "great minds" on OBD had chosen to ignore the QB position. Another year of Edwards and Fitz under center makes me fit to puke.

Wouldn't a wasted draft pick on a QB do the same? Pretty much every team in the NFL made it obvious that there was ONE QB prospect in this years draft class, and without the #1 pick in the draft, you weren't gonna get him. Clausen hasn't done anything in Carolina, what makes you think he would have been any better here? McCoy, as I've read, was on the buble until he finally showed up in the last pre-season game, and Tebow...reverted back to his old throwing motion after MONTHS of trying to "fix" it and has looked mediocre in Denver.

I agree that now is not the time to be looking for an "upgrade." A new qb would come in and have to learn the system that these guys have been working on for six months. It happened to Brohm last year they brought him in in november and was forced to start a game with little knowledge of the offensive system....

"PMS Hissy Fit"? Not sure where you are getting that, but most all of us agreed that Edwards was horrid last season. The only thing to change is Gailey. I don't believe Gailey has magical powers to make Edwards something more than what he is - mediocre. Sorry, you can be in a state of denial, I chose to call them like I see them.

Gailey has magical powers.

Seriously, Edwards is going to prove similar in some regard to Cassel, or a number of recent SB quarterbacks (Delhomme, Gannon, Johnson).

These are situational guys. Put them with a compatible coach and a system that plays to their strength, they looked good, even great.

Put them behind a porous OL in a system that didn't coach to their strength, they looked eminently forgettable.

People who watched Steve Young's 13 year trip to the HOF with San Fran forget that Young looked horrible racking up a 3-16 record with Tampa Bay, a bust.

He couldn't be more than what he was - mediocre. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

You can call it "being in a state of denial" I call it "being a student of the game".

You can call it "call them like I see them" I call it being myopic.

Coaching matters. The rest of the team matters too.